2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Cold Air Intake - 2016 550xi (N63TU) - CEL (of course!)

11-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 550i xDrive

Cold Air Intake - 2016 550xi (N63TU) - CEL (of course!)

Spent the better part of last weekend installing this cold air intake. Didn't have a lot of idea what I was doing, but got it done.

Let me start with a request for any ideas on the resulting CEL? The codes are 1) P00BC (Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too Low), and 2) P0172 (System Too Rich Bank 1). I knew this might happen, but I was hoping to avoid it... I went out of my way to find intake piping that accommodated the mass air flow sensors (MAFS). Also, I tightened the clamps to [try to] ensure a good seal everywhere. Any ideas?

Beside that, my results are:
1. Engine growls under load.
2. Front end feels lighter (probably imaging this, but...)

During the install I learned:
1. You have to take the front fascia / bumper off to take out those fixed, horizontal shutters / louvres from behind the kidney grills. PITA. Photo 3 & 4.
2. Speaking of the kidney grills, I found more than one YouTuber who said to just yank them straight out to remove them. "It'll feel like you're going to break them, but you won't." Well, I did break them - the bottom clips of the kidney grills all broke off (photo 2).
3. I was following an install from a YouTuber who said he used 3" pipe for the whole thing. However, when you fit your last piece of silicone tubing on the pipe - I'm talking about the last silicone elbow that ultimately sticks out behind the kidney grilles and onto which you attach the air filter. Anyway, that piece of pipe with the silicone tubing fitted on it is too fat to squeeze through the channel below the hood latch mechanism brackets. So, I had to use the bendable Spectre Performance intake tubing (got that idea from CReynolds - thanks!). You can see the black tubing in photo 5 continuing down from the red silicone elbow, sorta out of view, and then towards the front of the car and into the space behind the kidney grills.

Thanks for reading, appreciate y'all and any ideas/feedback you have.
BR
Attached Images

Lost love: 2011 Space Gray E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Make sure the MAF's aren't backwards. They're directional. Also make sure your filters are up to snuff and can actually ingest the required amount of air. Those filters look a tad small tbh
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Right on - that is pretty outstanding advice. I will check both.

I'm gonna just try to flip them around one at a time, but in the meantime, any idea which way is the correct way to orient the MAFSs? I see a yellow-blue-red wire sequence - yellow or red towards the front of the vehicle?

Thanks,
BR

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

FIXED

Big ups to Unspec - I reinstalled one of the MAFSs backwards/upside down. The correct sequence of wires to look for, from vehicle back to front, is red-blue-yellow.

CEL is gone - I'll go for a test drive tomorrow.

Unspec, truly appreciate it . Thank you very much!

BR

Appreciate 1
Unspec1295.00
      11-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Richards View Post
Big ups to Unspec - I reinstalled one of the MAFSs backwards/upside down. The correct sequence of wires to look for, from vehicle back to front, is red-blue-yellow.

BR
It should only fit one way....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
It should only fit one way....
With the OEM intake ducting, yes. But I replaced all of that and used this beauty to accommodate the MAFS in my new intake piping scheme. As you can see, I could have installed it correctly ...or backwards/upside down ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:

BR
Glad that ended up being the problem! Easy fix. I'd take a sharpie or oil pen and make a tiny arrow to indicate which direction is front, so you don't have to depend on the wire color.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 06:55 PM   #8
Hellboy550i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
With the OEM intake ducting, yes. But I replaced all of that and used this beauty to accommodate the MAFS in my new intake piping scheme. As you can see, I could have installed it correctly ...or backwards/upside down ...
I always have this dumb question and correct me if am wrong..

1.) since your cold air intake filters are in front of the grill , during heavy rain dont you think water and dust will be sucked into the airbox directly cause only one filter is available in front , it might get soak, and filled with dirts.

2.) even though you have cold intakes the MAS job is to measure the amt of air going inside based on the mixture so no matter you have tons of oxygen going inside the mas will measure how much the engine needs and only allow that fuel mixture inside from fuel injection. so it should not make any difference..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 03:34 AM   #9
Aussie_550i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i, 2017 430i

I recently, January, purchased and installed a CAI from n63intake... I live in Melbourne, Australia and its fairly wet here and when I asked Sergei about that very concern of ingress, he said he lives in NY and has never had any ingress and to date, neither have I and I driven through some heavy down pours doin over 100/kmh.

The induction noise is worth it alone.. sounds like a jet engine when cold start happens and with mine being an n63 (non TU), I also get to hear the BOV sound
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:25 AM   #10
s_ribs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 535i xDrive M-Sport, E30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy550i View Post
I always have this dumb question and correct me if am wrong..

1.) since your cold air intake filters are in front of the grill , during heavy rain dont you think water and dust will be sucked into the airbox directly cause only one filter is available in front , it might get soak, and filled with dirts.
If it were me, I'd install one of these (or similar) intake filter socks because they are so out in the open. https://filterwears.com/
These will massively reduce the chance of water getting to the filter plus act as a pre-filter.
Appreciate 0