2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Ambient light install

09-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
harmz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 430d Gran Coupe & 530D LCI

Ambient light install

Hi all

Has anyone tried to install the 9/18 colour led kit and has been able to code the idrive to allow the changes of the colour ? See the example video

My current car is on nbt, with the standard white and orange ambients lights

£118.91 45% Off | PMFC 18 Colors Atmosphere Light LED Interior Decorative Ambient Door Light Stripes Lamp For BMW 5 Series F10/F11/F18 2010-2017
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqtmtUr - this is an example of what I have been looking at if there is anything better which can do the same thing but can be control with the idrive let me know

Harmeet
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
BMWDriverPhil
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Maybe check out this video: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2sus1fdvB65dom
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

I've been also eyeing this, the weird thing is on that listing and most others, they distinguish between NBT with a production date before and after September 2014. They say even with NBT before September, then go with the CIC that has a manual control. I'm just like you i have the white and amber through the iDrive. I'm Curious if which you end up going... I was going to simply get the CIC version and not worry about the iDrive interface.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
harmz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblzee View Post
I've been also eyeing this, the weird thing is on that listing and most others, they distinguish between NBT with a production date before and after September 2014. They say even with NBT before September, then go with the CIC that has a manual control. I'm just like you i have the white and amber through the iDrive. I'm Curious if which you end up going... I was going to simply get the CIC version and not worry about the iDrive interface.
So I ordered the black nbt one
Soo I have complete the install it was simple! You just need to extend some of the harness and you can use the blank pins within the door plug there is 4 of them for each side. Then you just need code the idrive it's one thing you need to do, but it works well I would recommend it updates the car a lot.

Let me know if you want any more information
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Dblzee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmz View Post
Quote:
Soo I have complete the install it was simple! You just need to extend some of the harness and you can use the blank pins within the door plug there is 4 of them for each side. Then you just need code the idrive it's one thing you need to do, but it works well I would recommend it updates the car a lot.

Does it make a difference which NBT production date you have? My car was before sep 2014. Do they just say that because it requires some coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:20 AM   #6
harmz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does it make a difference which NBT production date you have? My car was before sep 2014. Do they just say that because it requires some coding?
No it doesn't if you have the nbt hu then you need to order the nbt unit I have noticed the buttons work on the radio to control the lights aswel but it's nicer with the idrive
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #7
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
No it doesn't if you have the nbt hu then you need to order the nbt unit I have noticed the buttons work on the radio to control the lights aswel but it's nicer with the idrive
Which kit did you wind up ordering? I noticed the link in the first post doesn't seem to include the control box which is what allows you to change the LED colors, etc from iDrive?

I've been looking at this one recently, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...3ea42e0eiuXNfh
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #8
khile
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 540i 2018

i recently did this to mine you have to rewire all ambient light kit it comes with the harness it will take an entire day to do properly.

its a massive improvment over Stock versions and having more colours is so much better
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #9
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khile View Post
i recently did this to mine you have to rewire all ambient light kit it comes with the harness it will take an entire day to do properly.

its a massive improvment over Stock versions and having more colours is so much better
That's what I was wondering. I assumed that I'd have undo the existing harness and replace it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #10
khile
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
That's what I was wondering. I assumed that I'd have undo the existing harness and replace it.
no i left my original harness in the doors and just tapped it up out of the way just be carfull when putting the leds in the original bracks or you can knock the leds lose
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khile View Post
no i left my original harness in the doors and just tapped it up out of the way just be carfull when putting the leds in the original bracks or you can knock the leds lose
That's what I meant, remove the existing pins from the connector and tuck it away in the doors.

I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on ordering this kit, for ~$100 it's not a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:59 AM   #12
khile
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

definally worth doing will take some time but worth it
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
ajsegun22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i

Quote:

Please Can you help me with the coding Instruction? I've installed 9 colored ambient OEM style and it currently projects two colors red and blue which is modern and classic. Please How do I code it to show all the remaining colors? I've F10 2015, Bimmercode App, and OBD Veepak
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:15 AM   #14
harmz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsegun22 View Post
Quote:

Please Can you help me with the coding Instruction? I've installed 9 colored ambient OEM style and it currently projects two colors red and blue which is modern and classic. Please How do I code it to show all the remaining colors? I've F10 2015, Bimmercode App, and OBD Veepak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsegun22 View Post
Quote:

Hi mate I don't use BimmerCode I do all my work using e-sys I can tell you the step in e-sys but
You'll have to work out how to do it in BimmerCode
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #15
RomanM80
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i xDrive

Quote:
Hi mate I don't use BimmerCode I do all my work using e-sys I can tell you the step in e-sys but

Hi Harmz!

Correctly I understood that it is possible to change all 9 colors from idrive?

May be is possible to send a link from which specific seller to buy good ambient light kit.

I have read different opinions that some sellers are not so good as they describe their products
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 03:17 AM   #16
harmz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanM80 View Post
Quote:

Hi Harmz!

Correctly I understood that it is possible to change all 9 colors from idrive?

May be is possible to send a link from which specific seller to buy good ambient light kit.

I have read different opinions that some sellers are not so good as they describe their products
Yeah that's correct you'll need to code two things in the hu_nbt for ambient lights then it should work. If you have cic unit then you can't control with the idrive

This is the seller who I got it from,
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO590Z9
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #17
cengizsoner
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

Quote:
Hi all

Has anyone tried to install the 9/18 colour led kit and has been able to code the idrive to allow the changes of the colour ? See the example video

My current car is on nbt, with the standard white and orange ambients lights

£118.91 45% Off | PMFC 18 Colors Atmosphere Light LED Interior Decorative Ambient Door Light Stripes Lamp For BMW 5 Series F10/F11/F18 2010-2017
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqtmtUr - this is an example of what I have been looking at if there is anything better which can do the same thing but can be control with the idrive let me know

Harmeet

Very very nice
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #18
estankar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

NBT Issues

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had the same issue as me.

I installed the 9 Color ambient light system on my f10 and coded the following on my NBT system.
"COLOR_SWITCH - aktiv"
"HELLIGKEIT_AMBLIGHT - aktiv"
"COLOR_SWITCH_ENSEMBLE - 10_eintraege"

After coding ambient lighting shows up on the headunit and i can select "Classic Mode" which give red and i can adjust the brightness.

I cannot select any other colors as it does not give me the option, Has anyone had this issue?

I also added "Modern" mode through "COLOR_SWITCH_LINES" Which gives me like a blue color.

Also when i adjust the brightness the scroll bar does not update but the brightness still changes.

Maybe i have forgotten to enable something?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0