2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bimmertech Amp Review

03-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Bimmertech Amp Review

I wanted to give you a review of the Bimmertech Amp upgrade I performed last weekend.

Previously I performed the BavSound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade (but not the subs) and I have been very pleased with them as discussed on a previous review.

I waffled quite a bit on whether I actually needed the amp upgrade or not, but several of you strongly encouraged me to upgrade, as the amp would power the wonderful BavSound speakers that much better.

Because this was over a long weekend, I started relatively late Thursday evening, which in hindsight was a huge mistake, because it was dark, late, and I was tired, my attention to detail was terrible.

I followed the basic drawings Nelson provided me on how to take the trim/coverings off and that went fine. At that moment, I had a complete brain lapse and convinced myself the Bluetooth comm box was actually the amp. So I removed it and couldn't figure it out. I emailed Nathan at 10pm and he responded immediately. I put it away for the night, came back and quickly installed the amp in the morning. However, I had damaged wires on the Comm box and thus my Bluetooth was gone. I tried to perform a software upgrade, but to no avail.

So I took it to my local dealership yesterday, came completely clean about what happened. They were able to rewire the Comm box and it's all working very well now. ($275 to rewire it, money well spent).

This mistake was 98% mine. My only suggestion is that BimmerTech create some videos similar to what BavSound does on there. I looked at numerous postings about people who upgraded their Amps, but I never had a 'step 1, do this, (picture), step 2, do this (Picture). Had that been available, it would have likely gone much better. Again, this isn't a ding on Bimmertech, because they were very responsive. It's only a suggestion to help others on their quest.

So at 4pm yesterday, everything is back to normal, so I pulled into a parking lot and really put the BimmerTech amp through it's paces and I am blown away, literally and figuratively.

The feedback I'd received from some of you was the OEM amp simply didn't have the power to really utilize the BavSound Speakers. That was a tremendous understatement. As I was playing different types of music, I actually felt the sound coming out of the speakers. The crease on my pants moved! What the amp does is push out sound so it sounds so much better. I love all types of music, so I played these songs to get different sounds:

1. Mozart symphony 40 in g minor, by the London Symphony Orchestra. This is amazing to hear all of the instruments so pure and clear. You hear the strings, brass, piano, and percussion as clear as being in a concert hall.
2. The Thrill is Gone, BB King. I played this because it is one of the songs I used to first test the BavSound Stage 1 Upgrade, and while it sounded great then, it was AMAZING with the amp added. I could hear BB's fingers cross the struts on Lucille and his raspy vocals were amazing.
3. Baby Likes to Rock It, The Tractors. This song has such great guitar, piano, and vocals and they all sounded incredible.
4. Tusk, Fleetwood Mac (Live) Hearing the USC Marching Band as part of this was amazing, again, the sound so clear and pure that it sounded like I was at the Concert.
5. A Thing Called Love, Bonnie Raitt. She can still rock it very well and the guitar and vocals were like we were in a coffee shop listening to her.
6. Mixed Emotions, The Rolling Stones. Great guitar and vocals, amazing.

So to summarize, I highly recommend the BimmerTech Amp upgrade. Nelson was extremely responsive and patient with me when I went brain dead and messed with the Comm Box and not the amp. The only thing I'd do differently was to do it when I am well rested, it's really actually very simple. It's a great upgrade.
BimmerTech Amp

Last edited by Jcbama85; 03-29-2016 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Forgot the pictures:
Attached Images

BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

AWESOME review! did you hookup your labtop and adjust EQ settings or what not or did Nelson have a file downloaded for you?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
AWESOME review! did you hookup your labtop and adjust EQ settings or what not or did Nelson have a file downloaded for you?
Nelson preset it for me for an F10 and it sounds great. I've got the USB connected to it, but for now it sounds so good I don't want to mess with it!

You were so right about the amp being a must add on. I had doubts after doing the Stage 1 if I needed the amp. Just to hear that amp pushing the sound through the Stage 1s is amazing. I will add the subs later, but I'm fresh out of upgrade $ for a while.............

BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
535d1420
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d

Does anyone have a video or detailed install guide? If i buy the amp from bavsound do they have any instructions and does it come preset with the F10 specs?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535d1420 View Post
Does anyone have a video or detailed install guide? If i buy the amp from bavsound do they have any instructions and does it come preset with the F10 specs?

Thanks!
There are quite a few posts on how to install, just none for F10s. Nelson at Bimmertech pre installed mine for the F10.

I bought mine directly from Bimmertech on a group buy that was WAY less $ than getting it from BavSound. I love the crew at BavSound and gave them a chance to match the pricing and they couldn't.

I'd recommend you DM Nelson, he's very responsive and helpful.

Do the upgrade. You'll be glad you did.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Wish I had, what, $2K for this upgrade? YIKES!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:

Thanks!
No they don't. We're working with a F10 owner to create an install guide. We only have 1 tune right now which was made with the OEM speakers. We're still trying to find a local F10 with Bavsound to create one for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #9
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85 View Post
I wanted to give you a review of the Bimmertech Amp upgrade I performed last weekend.

Previously I performed the BavSound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade (but not the subs) and I have been very pleased with them as discussed on a previous review.

I waffled quite a bit on whether I actually needed the amp upgrade or not, but several of you strongly encouraged me to upgrade, as the amp would power the wonderful BavSound speakers that much better.

Because this was over a long weekend, I started relatively late Thursday evening, which in hindsight was a huge mistake, because it was dark, late, and I was tired, my attention to detail was terrible.

I followed the basic drawings Nelson provided me on how to take the trim/coverings off and that went fine. At that moment, I had a complete brain lapse and convinced myself the Bluetooth comm box was actually the amp. So I removed it and couldn't figure it out. I emailed Nathan at 10pm and he responded immediately. I put it away for the night, came back and quickly installed the amp in the morning. However, I had damaged wires on the Comm box and thus my Bluetooth was gone. I tried to perform a software upgrade, but to no avail.

So I took it to my local dealership yesterday, came completely clean about what happened. They were able to rewire the Comm box and it's all working very well now. ($275 to rewire it, money well spent).

This mistake was 98% mine. My only suggestion is that BimmerTech create some videos similar to what BavSound does on there. I looked at numerous postings about people who upgraded their Amps, but I never had a 'step 1, do this, (picture), step 2, do this (Picture). Had that been available, it would have likely gone much better. Again, this isn't a ding on Bimmertech, because they were very responsive. It's only a suggestion to help others on their quest.

So at 4pm yesterday, everything is back to normal, so I pulled into a parking lot and really put the BimmerTech amp through it's paces and I am blown away, literally and figuratively.

The feedback I'd received from some of you was the OEM amp simply didn't have the power to really utilize the BavSound Speakers. That was a tremendous understatement. As I was playing different types of music, I actually felt the sound coming out of the speakers. The crease on my pants moved! What the amp does is push out sound so it sounds so much better. I love all types of music, so I played these songs to get different sounds:

1. Mozart symphony 40 in g minor, by the London Symphony Orchestra. This is amazing to hear all of the instruments so pure and clear. You hear the strings, brass, piano, and percussion as clear as being in a concert hall.
2. The Thrill is Gone, BB King. I played this because it is one of the songs I used to first test the BavSound Stage 1 Upgrade, and while it sounded great then, it was AMAZING with the amp added. I could hear BB's fingers cross the struts on Lucille and his raspy vocals were amazing.
3. Baby Likes to Rock It, The Tractors. This song has such great guitar, piano, and vocals and they all sounded incredible.
4. Tusk, Fleetwood Mac (Live) Hearing the USC Marching Band as part of this was amazing, again, the sound so clear and pure that it sounded like I was at the Concert.
5. A Thing Called Love, Bonnie Raitt. She can still rock it very well and the guitar and vocals were like we were in a coffee shop listening to her.
6. Mixed Emotions, The Rolling Stones. Great guitar and vocals, amazing.

So to summarize, I highly recommend the BimmerTech Amp upgrade. Nelson was extremely responsive and patient with me when I went brain dead and messed with the Comm Box and not the amp. The only thing I'd do differently was to do it when I am well rested, it's really actually very simple. It's a great upgrade.
Thanks for the great review ! i'm glad you love our premium audio upgrade. Wait until i get my hands on a F10 with bavsound, trust me you will be more amazed

You should demo it with Livingston Taylor- Isn't She Lovely. Is one of my favorite demo vocal track.

Here's one of my Tuning/Demo CDs if you want to download it https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0E&usp=sharing
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #10
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc
Wish I had, what, $2K for this upgrade? YIKES!!
No it's not that much. BavSound Stage 1 is $597. Amp lists for $849 but if you can get in on a group buy it's less.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #11
535d1420
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d

How many for a group buy?! Im in.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #12
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nelson is your guy for that; I think he normally starts the conversations in the Commercial Thread.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
Thanks for the great review ! i'm glad you love our premium audio upgrade. Wait until i get my hands on a F10 with bavsound, trust me you will be more amazed

You should demo it with Livingston Taylor- Isn't She Lovely. Is one of my favorite demo vocal track.

Here's one of my Tuning/Demo CDs if you want to download it https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0E&usp=sharing
Awesome, I look forward to you getting your hands on an F10 with BavSound! Let us know when that happens.
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #15
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Nice write up bro, glad you got it installed and working. This could be a mod in my future as well. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
Nice write up bro, glad you got it installed and working. This could be a mod in my future as well. Thanks
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Great info on those torn between doing speaker or amp upgrade

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1243952
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #18
TopQuark
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

How many speakers will the Bimmertech PP82DSP amp supports? Is it an addition to the current amp or total replacement? In a hifi system there are 12 speakers including the tweeters and 2 woofers as an example.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 02:04 AM   #19
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post
How many speakers will the Bimmertech PP82DSP amp supports? Is it an addition to the current amp or total replacement? In a hifi system there are 12 speakers including the tweeters and 2 woofers as an example.
It's a total replacement.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #20
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
It's a total replacement.
And an awesome one at that!!!
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #21
Vapiano
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix AW- 2007 Dinan M5

Did you guys have the Harman Kardon system to begin with? I am interested in doing this audio upgrade as well, I have the HK set up and not sure it makes sense.
2007 M5, 6 speed, Silver Gray Metallic, Full Black Merino Leather, Brushed Ti Trim, HUD, Active M Comfort Seats/Heated & Cooled, Navi, Premium Sound, HK L7, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Rear & Side Sunshades, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Voice Command, Custom S/W, Passport 9500ci w/jammers, Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meter/Intakes, CF Front Strut Brace, S1 Suspension & Free Flow Exhaust, Evolve S2 Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #22
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
Did you guys have the Harman Kardon system to begin with? I am interested in doing this audio upgrade as well, I have the HK set up and not sure it makes sense.
I had the base system, not the HK. I can't imagine the HK is anywhere near the combo of Bavsound Stage 1 and Bimmertech Amp upgrade.

I did an 1200 mile road trip from Houston to Alabama and back this week and the system was amazing and made the trip a joy. Throw in Apple Music and I rocked everything from Sinatra to Frampton (his recent acoustic album is amazing!) to Johnny Cash to the London Symphony. Between the tunes and averaging over 36 mpg it was a great trip.

Do the upgrades!

BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 1