2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Joined the F10 family…. Couple questions.

12-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #1
Smytty
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Joined the F10 family…. Couple questions.

Just grabbed a 2014 550 with 20k on the clock. M Sport, Dinan stage 1 and also Dinan Exhaust has almost every option with the exception of night vision and B&O system. This is my first auto transmission nothing like a clutch pedal. Coming from and E60 545 6MT that was my daily from 33k to 185k lasted me 10 years alternator bracket gasket went for the second time (if you know you know) With the mileage I didn’t have the time or patience to jump in there again considering the age and what it might be worth. With that being said I’m excited to start a new journey new ride is a best. Mods will come but first things first Diagnostic tools. I had GT1 on a laptop for my E60 and did all of my wrenching. Never did any coding but very familiar with the programs.

Can anyone point in the right direction to purchase INSTA and a cable? I’ve never used it before but it’s a must have if I’m going to own another Bimmer.

Also I’ve looked for the Bentley for the F10 but it doesnt seem like it has been published any alternatives out there?

….. Yes, I know what the search button is just trying to get some quick answers and an introduction. Much Appreciated.

Any immediate preventative fixes please share I’m been looking around, going to address the coolant lines right away and the Y fitting on one of the coolant lines. E60 had a similar design that I had to replace.

Sorry for the Essay!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
EV8634.00
      12-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #2
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Nice looking machines! Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Congrats

Years ago I bought my cable off bimmer-geeks and they had links for the diagnostic software
      12-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
OldShadeTrEE
OldShadeTrEE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport

I have a 2012 535i and have had the same difficulty finding a Bentley service manual. I'm in the middle of replacing the front control arms and tie rods (210,000 miles) and found that the oil pan gasket is leaking, which must be the source of my oil level dropping between oil changes. Since replacing the oil pan gasket requires dropping the sub-frame, and that requires removing attached lower control arm bolts on both sides, I'm thinking I have to do all that at the same time if I can... :-) I bought the car a couple years ago from the original owner. Love the lines on the M Sport!!

Awesome looking car!!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
Smytty
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Nice looking machines! Welcome!
Appreciate it. Hope to get some mods going come spring time. Sad to see the E60 go but it was time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Congrats

Years ago I bought my cable off bimmer-geeks and they had links for the diagnostic software
I'll check it out or try to grab one off of ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShadeTrEE View Post
I have a 2012 535i and have had the same difficulty finding a Bentley service manual. I'm in the middle of replacing the front control arms and tie rods (210,000 miles) and found that the oil pan gasket is leaking, which must be the source of my oil level dropping between oil changes. Since replacing the oil pan gasket requires dropping the sub-frame, and that requires removing attached lower control arm bolts on both sides, I'm thinking I have to do all that at the same time if I can... :-) I bought the car a couple years ago from the original owner. Love the lines on the M Sport!!

Awesome looking car!!
From what Ive been reading I dont think there is one, have to rely on TIS or get the ISTA software from what I can gather repair instructions are in there similar to DIS. I'm just going to buy a hardrive off of Ebay with the software preloaded so it'll just be plug and play. Dont want to sort through the issues of configuring the system. I had to drop the subframe on the E60 to replace the steering rack that completely gave up on me. Wasn't a horrible job just took some time. Better to do whatever you can while you have it opened up.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:51 PM   #6
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShadeTrEE View Post

Awesome looking car!!
Do the motor mounts while you have all that hardware removed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0