2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Replacing rear differential bushing and thrust bushing

01-14-2022, 03:03 PM   #1
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Replacing rear differential bushing and thrust bushing

Just went to dealer to get some work done under maintenance plan and they've told me that rear differential bushing and thrust bushing on driver front side is broken and fluid has leaked out (pics are attached).
Has anyone replaced rear differential bushing? Is there a good video that walks you through the process? Are there any special tools needed?

Same question is for thrust arm bushing, good video that goes through replacement process would be nice and are there any special tools needed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:01 AM   #2
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I'm surprised no one has responded to this given how common of an issue it is on the F10. I had to replace my rear diff bushing recently, along with the flex discs on the driveshaft. I ended up having an indy mecanic do the work, as I honestly just couldn't be asked. It's not hard, but it does take some time and you will need some special tools to make lighter work of getting the bushings out of the subframe. This guy has a really good video that should help you understand what you're getting into:

The rear diff actually has three of these bushings (two front, one rear, from memory). The front ones usually don't tear as often as the rear, but if you're doing the job, I wold personally just replace all three. I'd also do the flex discs on the driveshaft (one front, one rear). These do tear pretty frequently and if yours aren't torn yet, they will be soon, so just do it all while you're under the car and have it apart.

Regarding your front thrust arm bushing, I would normally just replace the entire arm instead of messing around swapping out the bushing. I'm not even sure you can buy only the bushing. You can buy aftermarket arms pretty reasonably priced. This is also a job I had my mechanic do, as I ended up replacing all suspension arms- front AND rear- at the same time I did the rear diff bushings. These arms aren't hard to replace, as long as the bolts on your car aren't badly rusted or anything. I would not recommend replacing just a single arm on one side, though; I always do these in pairs. You will have to get an alignment after replacing it, so honestly, it's probably easier to just have a tire/suspension shop sort the arms, but you could defintiely do this in your driveway pretty easily.

With all this work, I would personally not let a dealer do it becasue it will cost you twice as much. If you have a good indy mechanic locally, let them do it. There's nothing BMW-specific about any of this, as it's general maintenance you'd do on any car.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Video above is what got me through my replacement of the rear diff bushing - just follow it step by step. The only PITA about this task is having to remove the entire exhaust. Other than that, just a lot of laying on your back and sore arms. You will need a special tool to remove the rear bushing. If you decide to the front bushings as well, that's a separate tool as well.

As for the thrust bushings, it's a lot easier, cheaper, and better to just replace the entire arm with Lemforder - identical part without BMW stamp at less than half price at FCP Euro. It's a pretty straight forward job but will require you to disconnect the drive shaft from the wheel carrier/hub in order to pull the thrust arm out of the wheel carrier. You SHOULD NOT reuse the the hub collar screw - get new ones from the dealer beforehand.

Feel free to ask for more clarifying info, torquing details (etc) and/or parts needed. As Bozman52 said, many of us have DIY`ed both of these jobs.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)

Last edited by spielnicht; 01-22-2022 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
zvery777266.50
      01-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
BTW where you at in VA? I can't recall if we already connected on this. Lol. I'm in FX. If you decide to tackle this yourself, I can lend you the diff bushing removal tool - saving you $200 buying it.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:55 PM   #5
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
BTW where you at in VA? I can't recall if we already connected on this. Lol. I'm in FX. If you decide to tackle this yourself, I can lend you the diff bushing removal tool - saving you $200 buying it.
spielnicht, thank you for the response, this is very useful information. I am still waiting to see what will my extended warranty cover. I am in Chantilly, right next to Fairfax, I'd love to connect, just let me know when you are free.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I recently replaced the rear differential bushing using the special tool I got off eBay. I dropped the whole exhaust and used a low profile Jack to slowly lower the differential once the car was up in the air. I really didn't think it was as difficult as I was expecting based on what I had read. Just be sure to take your time and don't get frustrated.

I also replaced my front thrust arms and upgraded them to the ECS ones with the solid aluminum bushings. It was a pretty straightforward process.

Highly recommend doing it all yourself if you've got some experience with basic hand tools and can follow instructions.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
rssazn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman52 View Post
I'm surprised no one has responded to this given how common of an issue it is on the F10. I had to replace my rear diff bushing recently, along with the flex discs on the driveshaft. I ended up having an indy mecanic do the work, as I honestly just couldn't be asked. It's not hard, but it does take some time and you will need some special tools to make lighter work of getting the bushings out of the subframe. This guy has a really good video that should help you understand what you're getting into:

The rear diff actually has three of these bushings (two front, one rear, from memory). The front ones usually don't tear as often as the rear, but if you're doing the job, I wold personally just replace all three. I'd also do the flex discs on the driveshaft (one front, one rear). These do tear pretty frequently and if yours aren't torn yet, they will be soon, so just do it all while you're under the car and have it apart.

Regarding your front thrust arm bushing, I would normally just replace the entire arm instead of messing around swapping out the bushing. I'm not even sure you can buy only the bushing. You can buy aftermarket arms pretty reasonably priced. This is also a job I had my mechanic do, as I ended up replacing all suspension arms- front AND rear- at the same time I did the rear diff bushings. These arms aren't hard to replace, as long as the bolts on your car aren't badly rusted or anything. I would not recommend replacing just a single arm on one side, though; I always do these in pairs. You will have to get an alignment after replacing it, so honestly, it's probably easier to just have a tire/suspension shop sort the arms, but you could defintiely do this in your driveway pretty easily.

With all this work, I would personally not let a dealer do it becasue it will cost you twice as much. If you have a good indy mechanic locally, let them do it. There's nothing BMW-specific about any of this, as it's general maintenance you'd do on any car.
How much were you charged for the Indy? BMW trying to clap me hard.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:18 AM   #8
Bozman52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Wow, BMW really doesn't like you! I told you to go indy, but holy hell, I didn't expect the dealer would be THAT much! I'd almost say your dealer is taking you for a ride with this one.

In any case, I don't have the receipt to hand, but I want to say it cost me about £900 in labor and another £500 in parts. Note that I'm in the UK, so I don't know if prices translate well, but my indy is £60/hr for labor. Also note that I did ALL the suspension arms front and rear, in addition to the diff bushings. My indy ended up dropping the whole rear subframe out of the car, as it was easier than not doing so.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
rssazn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Woodbridge here, I wouldn't mind standing next in line for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #10
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep

Garage List
Here is my thing with any dealer that cross-sells BG products: GTFO. I will walk away just for that. First, BMW (as well as MB) explicitly frown upon any such additives. Second, if it's not Liqui Moly made, I wouldn't let it touch my engine. Curious what local dealership that is cause BMWFX doesn't do that.

As for the repairs - you can do all of that yourself (not sure what the passenger seat issue is). The only repair that requires a special tool is the rear diff bushing. I'm happy to lend you the tool when you decide to do this. I'm right by the [rapidly dying] Fair Oaks Mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssazn View Post
How much were you charged for the Indy? BMW trying to clap me hard.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #11
rssazn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Here is my thing with any dealer that cross-sells BG products: GTFO. I will walk away just for that. First, BMW (as well as MB) explicitly frown upon any such additives. Second, if it's not Liqui Moly made, I wouldn't let it touch my engine. Curious what local dealership that is cause BMWFX doesn't do that.

As for the repairs - you can do all of that yourself (not sure what the passenger seat issue is). The only repair that requires a special tool is the rear diff bushing. I'm happy to lend you the tool when you decide to do this. I'm right by the [rapidly dying] Fair Oaks Mall.
yeah so the passenger restraint malfunction came on due to software update, its all good now. just placed orders on all all parts for less than $900. Shouldn't take more than 4 hours to hit everything in one go.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 10:59 PM   #12
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

I posted about replacing thrust arm bushings here:

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthr...0#post27760240
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #13
dims337
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 535i GT, 2015 ML 350

still got the tool?

Quote:
Wondering if you still got the differential bushing removal tool I can borrow for a day when Im about tackle this job as I am in FX as well lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #14
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I have tools for both front and rear bushings. I can sell it for $320 shipped.
Appreciate 0