2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum f10 535i n55 oil separator/catch can?

11-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #23
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
Thanks for the info. The catch can you posted looks nice, but I'm not sure what the 3rd port is for? Can you shed some light on this?
3rd port is useful on certain setups like the N63, (one port goes to engine intake manifold, one port to the valve cover, one port to the secondary stage under-boost pre-turbo inlet) I use two in my X5 in combination with an adjustable vacuum valve (brass connection in pic below). It allowed me to adjust the Crank Case vacuum to a proper -10psi (factory BMW is only -1psi) for better oil control around the leaky valve guide seals the N63 is notorious for and also a nice boost in off-idle response and performance. It also allowed me to replace all of the crappy corrugated plastic CCV lines that are notorious to breaking with nice -AN braided lines as you can see below.

They make 2 port versions also or you can just cap one of the extra ports
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-20-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #24
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I bought that one (well, the 2-port version for my N55) but the connections are too small. It appears the barbs are 3/8" and the stock hose is 3/4". I've been searching all afternoon (LITERALLY, about 5 hours' worth!) and can't seem to find an adapter. The site says the fitting is 3/8" NBT, but the guy at NAPA says it's 5/8". Either way, I need a 3/8" (or 5/8") NBT to 3/4" barb, or a 3/8" to 3/4" in-line adapter.

So far I'm disappointed and plan on returning it.
Just grab 3/8" NPT to 3/4" barb. Another member posted a link to a set of 5, here is another ones you can buy individually

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-INDUSTRI...dp/B07CQC3F7B/

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-20-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #25
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHTX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Just grab 3/8" NPT to 3/4" barb. Another member posted a link to a set of 5, here is another ones you can buy individually

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-INDUSTRI...dp/B07CQC3F7B/
Thanks both of you! Sadly, both NAPA & Pep Boys confirmed it's actually a 5/8" NPT fitting. Now I'm on the hunt for that fitting.

BTW, I searched all over and didn't get those results! Now I have a place to start!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #26
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
3rd port is useful on certain setups like the N63, (one port goes to engine intake manifold, one port to the valve cover, one port to the secondary stage under-boost pre-turbo inlet) I use two in my X5 in combination with an adjustable vacuum valve (brass connection in pic below). It allowed me to adjust the Crank Case vacuum to a proper -10psi (factory BMW is only -1psi) for better oil control around the leaky valve guide seals the N63 is notorious for and also a nice boost in off-idle response and performance. It also allowed me to replace all of the crappy corrugated plastic CCV lines that are notorious to breaking with nice -AN braided lines as you can see below.

They make 2 port versions also or you can just cap one of the extra ports
Since we have the same can, can you list what you used for the connections?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #27
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Since we have the same can, can you list what you used for the connections?
Drive back to Napa and pep boys and slap them upside the head, they should know better. NPT sizes are not relative to the outside diameter. It's confusing so just Google a npt size chart. 3/8npt measures 5/8 outside diameter. Trust me you have a 3/8 npt fitting (3/8 npt measures 5/8 or approx .675inch outside diameter). The previous 3/8npt to 3/4 Barb links me and the other member posted will fit your catch can perfectly.

The fittings I use are for -AN to NPT so I can use braided line. I reccomend just getting the Barb fitting unless you want to do braided -AN lines which make it bullet proof but add alot of expense. (If you really want to let me know and I'll dig up all the part numbers I used)
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #28
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drive back to Napa and pep boys and slap them upside the head, they should know better. NPT sizes are not relative to the outside diameter. It's confusing so just Google a npt size chart. 3/8npt measures 5/8 outside diameter. Trust me you have a 3/8 npt fitting (3/8 npt measures 5/8 or approx .675inch outside diameter). The previous 3/8npt to 3/4 Barb links me and the other member posted will fit your catch can perfectly.

The fittings I use are for -AN to NPT so I can use braided line. I reccomend just getting the Barb fitting unless you want to do braided -AN lines which make it bullet proof but add alot of expense. (If you really want to let me know and I'll dig up all the part numbers I used)
Ahhhhh..... THANK YOU for the clarification! I'll be all over those fittings! I may consider the -AN route, but for now I want it to look as stock as possible.

THANKS!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #29
ChrisHTX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Ahhhhh..... THANK YOU for the clarification! I'll be all over those fittings! I may consider the -AN route, but for now I want it to look as stock as possible.

THANKS!!!
I would stay away from brass if possible. Aluminum does not mix with brass very well and will corrode.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #30
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would stay away from brass if possible. Aluminum does not mix with brass very well and will corrode.
CRAP!!! They arrive tomorrow. Would anti-seize work?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #31
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
After doing valve cover gasket and other jobs on my car. I noticed small amount of oil residue inside the intake side of intercooler. Im sure this will help filter the oil from getting in.
      11-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #32
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
CRAP!!! They arrive tomorrow. Would anti-seize work?
While it's true brass and aluminum don't play well together (galvanic corrosion), that is mainly in wet seawater environments. My pressure valves as you can see are brass and I have over 50,000 miles on them with no signs of pitting or corrosion on the catch can since it's just a dry/oil environment.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-22-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #33
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
While it's true brass and aluminum don't play well together (galvanic corrosion), that is mainly in wet seawater environments. My pressure valves as you can see are brass and I have over 50,000 miles on them with no signs of pitting or corrosion on the catch can since it's just a dry/oil environment.
I have to return the brass fittings anyway. For some reason they don't fit. I have the SS fittings on order. If thee don't fit, I'll have to return the catch can and find one with 3/4" fittings. My factory vent tube crumbled apart when I tried to reinstall it and I couldn't get the one I bought off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to fit. Three of the 4 clips also broke off and I used a piece of PCV hose to connect the two fittings.

This project is on hold anyway as we're dealing with a substantial roof leak after our last deluge. Turns out 25 years ago when they built the house, nailing down the roof tiles was (apparently) optional and a whole row slipped. We're out of our master and the family room below. Thankfully no mold!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #34
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well... The SS fittings don't fit either. Apparently contrary to the description, the stock fittings are NOT 3/8" npt. I checked and the threads do not line-up.

Oh well... Back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #35
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

What does the brain trust think of this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-ALUMIN...AAAOSwpUVc-8i0
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #36
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What does the brain trust think of this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-ALUMIN...AAAOSwpUVc-8i0
Quoting myself

Well, I bought that catch-can; though from Amazon, not eBay. I'll update on installation. Well, so long as I remember
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #37
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well... The SS fittings don't fit either. Apparently contrary to the description, the stock fittings are NOT 3/8" npt. I checked and the threads do not line-up.

Oh well... Back to the drawing board.
Can you post a link to the catch-can you bought? You said you bought the two port version of mine so I assumed you purchased from the same manufacturer as they only use 3/8 fittings on their catch cans.

I have been using them for years now and know this as fact so unless they changed something recently with the latest production, you must have a different unit. Taking a picture of the catch can you have would really help too.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #38
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quoting myself

Well, I bought that catch-can; though from Amazon, not eBay. I'll update on installation. Well, so long as I remember
Looks to be a decent design but it appears not to have the Bronze 50 micron filter in it. The Bronze Micro filter is key. I ran catch cans without the filter and the difference is huge.

Basically catch cans with the bronze filter are about 3 times more effective then a CC without it in my experience, catching in one month what would take a non-filtered CC about 3 months to do. They are more maintenance though as you must clean or replace the bronze filter every 8-10K miles or it will clog up. Worth it IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #39
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you post a link to the catch-can you bought? You said you bought the two port version of mine so I assumed you purchased from the same manufacturer as they only use 3/8 fittings on their catch cans.

I have been using them for years now and know this as fact so unless they changed something recently with the latest production, you must have a different unit. Taking a picture of the catch can you have would really help too.
Yes, it was the 2-port version. The 2 sets of 3/8"npt with 3/4" barb didn't fit. The threads weren't close. I returned all the parts. I really wanted to make it work, it just didn't. I contemplated rethreading the ports but opted for a design with the 3/4" barbs.

Quote:
Looks to be a decent design but it appears not to have the Bronze 50 micron filter in it. The Bronze Micro filter is key. I ran catch cans without the filter and the difference is huge.

Basically catch cans with the bronze filter are about 3 times more effective then a CC without it in my experience, catching in one month what would take a non-filtered CC about 3 months to do. They are more maintenance though as you must clean or replace the bronze filter every 8-10K miles or it will clog up. Worth it IMHO.
I plan on putting some steel (probably copper) wool in that baffle at the top. That is supposed to help with the filtration.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:51 AM   #40
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

I'm very interested in the product and read some reviews. Certain cans are shipped with M16 threads instead of 3/8" NPT. I'm not sure if there is M16 to 3/4" hose (or 19mm).

I guess I'll order one and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #41
tibbie03
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 08 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quoting myself

I'm having the same issues. I purchased the 2 port version of the one you referenced Sophisticated Redneck, and the 3/4 hose to 3/8 NPT adapters too, they don't fit the catch can, they are slightly too large. So I compared closely their adapters that are sent with the can to the ones purchased, and there is a slight difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #42
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

Is there a chance to clamp the 3/4" hose on the 1/2" barb and make it work?
Its hard to find the right fitting, but still prefer the bronze filter over the free flow one.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #43
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashpotato View Post
Is there a chance to clamp the 3/4" hose on the 1/2" barb and make it work?
Its hard to find the right fitting, but still prefer the bronze filter over the free flow one.
It's actually a 3/8" barb.

That's why I plan on putting either copper or bronze mesh in the baffle.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #44
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quick video of my Catch Can install.

How to install A $25 Oil Catch Can