2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Slight shudder before complete stop

01-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

Slight shudder before complete stop

I have been experiencing a very slight shudder intermittently before the car comes to a complete stop. It is like a jerky motion/ shudder before the vehicle comes to a complete stop so under 5 mph I'd say. I believe it is from the transmission/ Torque converter? If I put the car in neutral it doesn't do it. Also it doesn't happen all the time. Only sometimes and it is so slight that I know it will be dismissed immediately by the the dealer tech. Anybody else experience this?
      01-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
WinstonE92xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitaka View Post
I have been experiencing a very slight shudder intermittently before the car comes to a complete stop. It is like a jerky motion/ shudder before the vehicle comes to a complete stop so under 5 mph I'd say. I believe it is from the transmission/ Torque converter? If I put the car in neutral it doesn't do it. Also it doesn't happen all the time. Only sometimes and it is so slight that I know it will be dismissed immediately by the the dealer tech. Anybody else experience this?
I have been noticing that too this winter. It feels like its downshifting with a slight jab of the accelerator. Let me know what you figure out. I hope its nothing serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

It sounds like your torque converter is a little slow to unlock so it feels like a manual car left in gear when coming to a complete stop and you get that shudder of the engine almost about to stall.

could be a lot of different things from just a simple fluid change filter and reset your adaptations, to solenoids going bad to excessive valve body wear, etc.

start with the basics and do a fluid and filter change if you have not done recently and reset your adaptations and go from there
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
It sounds like your torque converter is a little slow to unlock so it feels like a manual car left in gear when coming to a complete stop and you get that shudder of the engine almost about to stall.

could be a lot of different things from just a simple fluid change filter and reset your adaptations, to solenoids going bad to excessive valve body wear, etc.

start with the basics and do a fluid and filter change if you have not done recently and reset your adaptations and go from there
Yes sounds like I should ask them to change the fluid and filter but they immediately say: It's lifetime fluid"
      01-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Yes sounds like I should ask them to change the fluid and filter but they immediately say: It's lifetime fluid"
If that's their response then you need to find another dealer! There's no such thing as "lifetime fluid!"
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:04 PM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just like ez said , there is no such thing as lifetime fluid. IT IS A LIE. I started a huge post about this in the F15 forms. BMW is actually going AGAINST what ZF (the company that makes your transmission) reccomends changing the filter and oil every 75k or less. You can do it yourself for around 300 or take to independent shop for around 500-700. BMW will not do it.

It would be wise to listen to the engineers that actually make the transmission rather then BMW marketing shills.

FCP Euro sells complete kits for the ZF8HP transmission and plenty of videos on YouTube how to do it (the ZF8HP and it's variants is used in every from Dodge trucks, to Aston Martins to BMW's so alot of info out there already on it if you want to tackle it yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just like ez said , there is no such thing as lifetime fluid. IT IS A LIE. I started a huge post about this in the F15 forms. BMW is actually going AGAINST what ZF (the company that makes your transmission) reccomends changing the filter and oil every 75k or less. You can do it yourself for around 300 or take to independent shop for around 500-700. BMW will not do it.

It would be wise to listen to the engineers that actually make the transmission rather then BMW marketing shills.

FCP Euro sells complete kits for the ZF8HP transmission and plenty of videos on YouTube how to do it (the ZF8HP and it's variants is used in every from Dodge trucks, to Aston Martins to BMW's so alot of info out there already on it if you want to tackle it yourself
Totally agree... I'd rather not do it myself. Any recommendations for an indy shop with experience in changing ZF8 fluid in the NY/NJ Tri State area would be highly appreciated
      01-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
...BMW will not do it.
My dealer had no problem doing it. On the work order he stated I was having it done "early" as the recommendation was 100K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My dealer had no problem doing it. On the work order he stated I was having it done "early" as the recommendation was 100K miles.
Perhaps things are changing now then as last year when I asked at the dealer I was literally laughed at....I then went to the parts counter and tried to order the oil to do it myself and was laughed at again (they did eventually look it up, 190 dollars a liter!!!!)....I've heard from others of similar experiences. Either BMW is starting to come around, especially now that ZF actually has an official stance and a video now calling out BMW on their BS or some dealers are better then others....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
ZF says, in writing, that it is "100,000km fluid" at most. (note that is kilometers, not miles)

FCP Euro sells a pan/filter/fluid kit with genuine ZF parts for ~$230 with everything required.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:38 AM   #11
partymartyy
Rep
Drives: 11 535xi

Happens to me in the mornings when I first start my car. Almost feels like the car is trying to jump.. I have to stop like 5 feet in advance so I don't ram my parking gate in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #12
WinstonE92xi
Private
United_States
Rep

My weird engine braking when almost to a stop is gone when I updated my 205 transmission to 2TB sport auto coded with bimmercode. I am very happy with the code as it vastly improve shifting quality and seems much more intuitive even in just D, better when in S.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonE92xi View Post
My weird engine braking when almost to a stop is gone when I updated my 205 transmission to 2TB sport auto coded with bimmercode. I am very happy with the code as it vastly improve shifting quality and seems much more intuitive even in just D, better when in S.
Is this what you're referring to?

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

I'm having a similar shudder and was planning on upgrading it anyway. So this may solve itself. I'll still change the oil/pan/filter though.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #14
WinstonE92xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonE92xi View Post
Is this what you're referring to?

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

I'm having a similar shudder and was planning on upgrading it anyway. So this may solve itself. I'll still change the oil/pan/filter though.
Not the XHP trans tune, just the 2TB code from 205 with bimmercode.
Appreciate 0