2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Engine replaced, still having issues!

06-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
thoreau1104@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550xi M Sport

Engine replaced, still having issues!

I had multiple drivetrain malfunction issues with my 2014 550xi msport, which resulted in replacing all of the coils and HPFI, which didn't solve the issue. The dealer ultimately dropped in a new engine, and we're still having the hesitation issues on heavy acceleration. Took it in again with the new engine and they told me there was water in the gas (seems a cop out...).

Has anyone had this persistent issue? Any clue of the solution?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

So to be clear you're hoping someone in the internet is going to guess to the issue out of sheer luck that has alluded an entire dealership?

Take it back and let them fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #3
paul_sarky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport

Im in the same boat. I have a brand new engine and from day one its been having issues starting. after about 5 visits back to the shop, with countless sensors changed, turbo coolant pump, new flywheel, still having a hard time starting.

They submitted all the faults and information to BMW technical and they are sending out a technical service engineer to help them figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Have the dealer open a puma case and get it diagnosed by the factory techs.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Exclamation

People, people, people... where do I start...ok here it goes.

Car shuttered at start up, almost wants to stall..but no it still has life so away I drive. Once I slow down to an almost stop the car wants to pass out and die. Nope, just lag. (?) Also, if I make a right turn after a cold start and almost slow to a hault it stalls! Start up again...shaking , then drive. Once it's warmer it get a little better but not much.

1) Malfunction - BMW paid HPFP (service bulletin hit list)
2) Drive train malfunction, shakes when trying to accelerate. Coil 3 an 6 replaced. All good...almost.
3) Before above dealer said bad gas. BS. Put BG-44 in … sigh.
4) dealer also recommended turbo inlet seal to be replaced.
5) my tech check it out and the fuel injectors are probably bad but no code.

Fast forward...77,706 miles on it...I had enough of the mystery bullshit try and fix it and but no luck crap. Today, my 2014 550i is at another dealers used car lot while I stole 2016 M235i which has now put a smile on my face again.

The moral of the story is don't waste your time and any additional mental anxt. to try and fix the impossible. N63 engines are a huge problem for us. All the threads I have read where people go to the end of the earth to hop the Bang lawsuit crap, oil consumption test 5 times, pray for a new motor which is back ordered for months so you get drive an X1 for a bit and realize WTF...months later to still get similar results. Broken record syndrome in play here.

I lost 3k on the deal. So what it's just money. My time and happiness are worth a shit ton more than dealing with the above. So all of reading this asks myself a question...

When are you going to realize what's more important?? Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #6
paul_sarky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
People, people, people... where do I start...ok here it goes.

Car shuttered at start up, almost wants to stall..but no it still has life so away I drive. Once I slow down to an almost stop the car wants to pass out and die. Nope, just lag. (?) Also, if I make a right turn after a cold start and almost slow to a hault it stalls! Start up again...shaking , then drive. Once it's warmer it get a little better but not much.

1) Malfunction - BMW paid HPFP (service bulletin hit list)
2) Drive train malfunction, shakes when trying to accelerate. Coil 3 an 6 replaced. All good...almost.
3) Before above dealer said bad gas. BS. Put BG-44 in … sigh.
4) dealer also recommended turbo inlet seal to be replaced.
5) my tech check it out and the fuel injectors are probably bad but no code.

Fast forward...77,706 miles on it...I had enough of the mystery bullshit try and fix it and but no luck crap. Today, my 2014 550i is at another dealers used car lot while I stole 2016 M235i which has now put a smile on my face again.

The moral of the story is don't waste your time and any additional mental anxt. to try and fix the impossible. N63 engines are a huge problem for us. All the threads I have read where people go to the end of the earth to hop the Bang lawsuit crap, oil consumption test 5 times, pray for a new motor which is back ordered for months so you get drive an X1 for a bit and realize WTF...months later to still get similar results. Broken record syndrome in play here.

I lost 3k on the deal. So what it's just money. My time and happiness are worth a shit ton more than dealing with the above. So all of reading this asks myself a question...

When are you going to realize what's more important?? Best of luck.
Agreed. However, i have a new engine in my 550i, with 2 years warranty on it, dinan stage 2 engine tune, "high flow cats", dinan high flow mufflers and bunch of other crap, my point, the car runs flawlessly now, has a ton of power, zero issues.

If i was to go buy another car right now, how much would i have to spend to get everything mine already is/has. will probably drive it till it dies, since its not even worth much.
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      07-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Exclamation

Great! How long from start to finish did it take you to get to this point?
Appreciate 0