2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Faulty crankshaft position sensor on new N63 motor.

06-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #1
paul_sarky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport

Faulty crankshaft position sensor on new N63 motor.

Had the N63 engine replaced on my car and from day one its been having issues starting. Same code every time, bad crankshaft position sensor. Already been changed out like 4 times. Its back at the shop and now they're working with the factory to figure it out.

I'm not a mechanic, but I dont think the issue is the sensor and changing them out hasn't solved anything. Engine will crank with no start, or will crank, start but be in DTM/reduced power mode. On the way to the shop the tachometer dropped out, said zero as the engine was still running.

What could possibly be causing all these issues on a brand new motor? Before they replaced it, never had any issues with starting, engine purrd, minus the heavy oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6MT

Sounds like an electrical issue or grounding on the circuit. Make sure all connections are tight, clean and not broken. You might have to trace it to the dme and make sure the connection to the dme is also tight.

This is possible during engine replacement .
Appreciate 0