2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions BIMMERPOST iOS App (iPhone/iPad) Issues/Bugs/Feature Request Thread
Closed Thread

02-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
BIMMERPOST iOS App (iPhone/iPad) Issues/Bugs/Feature Request Thread

The iOS App is currently on version 3.9.1.

This will be a great place to report bugs, issues, or any other problems which pertain to the latest version of the app.

The more detail the better so we can come up with a solution, and if you ever get a 'red screen of death' a screenshot would be the most ideal along with a description.

Thanks !
      02-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Iphone4 ios 6
When app is run, logo appears briefly the application exits.
Tried loading again, restart phone , same result.
Previous version ok though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F32 Coupe!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Iphone4 ios 6
When app is run, logo appears briefly the application exits.
Tried loading again, restart phone , same result.
Previous version ok though.
Sorry we are no longer supporting ios 6. The new Xcode is basicly for ios 7+
      02-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by apptest View Post
Thanks noted, can I make a suggestion then that the docs list that and perhaps can the code check to see what version it is on and not install if version 6xx?

In the meantime I may take the plunge and upgrade my phone to ios7 , what could possibly go wrong?
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Quote:
Thanks noted, can I make a suggestion then that the docs list that and perhaps can the code check to see what version it is on and not install if version 6xx?

In the meantime I may take the plunge and upgrade my phone to ios7 , what could possibly go wrong?
Thanks. The next coming version (3.8.4) will be restricted to ios7+ only.

As for upgrading to ios7, you just jynxed yourself . But seriously you should also think about getting an iphone 5 or 6. I did the iPhone 4s to 5 upgrade and I'm so much happier with the improved speed of the iphone 6. Not only does bimmerpost really fly on the faster phone so does Basicly everything else

Good luck !
      02-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Im using the new version. When I go to clear my notifications, I still get this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth
Im using the new version. When I go to clear my notifications, I still get this:
this is now corrected in the next coming version
      02-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Did you ask for a list of bugs? I found a few

Un-starring a forum doesn't remove it from the favourites, i.e. "My Forums" - the message keeps popping up to say Great Success - This forum added to your "My Forums" list - OK. At least it's not removed immediately; I didn't check to see if it would be removed after re-logging in.
After removing all forums in "My Forums" for a particular parent forum, that parent forum isn't automatically removed. If you re-login then it will have been removed. Might work if you refresh, i.e. tap on your username after swiping right.
Can't find how to logout.

When replying to a PM, the ability to review the original PM is no longer available.
When replying to a PM, the whole original PM history should be requoted and included in the reply - even if it's not shown while typing the reply as was previously the case.

When viewing the Messages (PM) list, while it is possible to swipe left (from the far right) on a particular PM to reveal a white-on-red Delete option, it is too difficult to do the precise swipe action required to reveal it. Change it so a left swipe that starts anywhere on the message, or at least starting from anywhere on the date/time portion of the message. You could literally try left swiping 50 times until Delete was finally revealed.
When viewing a forum, the threads title start out as bolded blue, changes to unbolded black after being read and, after you come back to the app in the morning, those unbolded black threads are now bolde black - I don't get it and I don't like it
Seeing at a glance the threads that have been read is more difficult now that the grey shading of the entire thread row has been removed and has been replaced by just an unbolded/bolded black thread title. I don't like it

When viewing Sent Messages, scrolling/swiping down or tapping on Page 2 causes the app to crash (goes to the iPhone home screen).

Red screen of death when clicking on a notification (i.e. appreciation, mention) or tapping "Clear All"

Code:
Application Error
Can't find variable: xhr at notifications.js (line 1)
Dismiss

Even though the RSOD is displayed, after tapping Dismiss, it still goes to the appreciated/replied post.
After going back to Notifications, it has removed the Appreciation notification from the list but the count has remained at its original value, and after refreshing (swipe down), the Appreciation notification reappears and the count is still at its original value.

If tapping "Clear All", same RSOD and after tapping Dismiss it goes back to the Notification screen but the notifications have not been cleared.

Provide search capability while in a sub-forum and make the search be restricted to returning results from just that sub-forum.

Here are some bugs that I have identified in Version 3.0.0 that still haven't been resolved:
  • Does not scroll to the top of the page when the status bar is tapped - last status was Evaluating.
  • Images are cropped in the thread - should display a resized image in the app (when you tap on the cropped image, the full image is displayed)
  • Images are not displayed in PMs ([IMG] tags and URL are displayed) - images are displayed in the browser
  • Different fonts not displayed correctly in threads or PMs, e.g. Courier New displays as Times New Roman

Perhaps the iOS app is supposed to be more lightweight than the browser experience but my usage and preferences don't change between the app and browser so below are some suggested enhancements for your consideration:
  • View profile
    • remove Bimmerpost app logo and replace with avatar but make the allocated pixel area smaller for the avatar
    • left-justify username so it isn't truncated
    • show whether the user is online - could be done using background or font colours, e.g. green is online and red (or default white) is offline. Alternatively, use background colour on the Posts / Join Date block to indicate online/offline status
    • show user's current activity if online, otherwise the last date/time the user was online
    • link for posts / started threads
  • Auto-populate the quoted PM/post in any reply
  • Provide an option to not show your signature
  • PMs - left swipe to delete
  • Minimalistic landscape mode - we need more screen realestate in landscape mode
    • remove bimmerpost banner, toolbar and title bar
    • remove bottom navigation panel and replace with translucent navigation arrows (or on have navigation arrows in portrait mode)
  • Change navigation arrow to be more inline with iOS7 styling (Apple URL - may not be retained indefinitely) - there were already some other comments regarding its anatomical resemblance so perhaps simply use the following (or the iOS7 equivalent of):
    << < > >>

That's it!
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Captain
Australia
Rep

Any reply/comment to my post above? Which of my suggestions would make it into the next release and which are being considered for future releases?

Also, another desirable feature is to be able to reorder the forums listed in My Forums.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135
Any reply/comment to my post above? Which of my suggestions would make it into the next release and which are being considered for future releases?

Also, another desirable feature is to be able to reorder the forums listed in My Forums.
Many (but not all) of these issues have been addressed in the release awaiting Apple's approval. But your list is amazing and much appreciated. I'll give a more detailed answer listing out what has and has not been fixed to better see if your bugs have in fact been correctly fixed or only partially fixed.

Thanks again!!
      02-24-2015, 04:10 AM   #11
Captain
Australia
Rep

Here's another bug that I've just found... when using a browser to enter the degree sign, it is not displayed in the iOS app. I have used a browser for this post and have included the degree sign on the next line:
°
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 04:14 AM   #12
Captain
Australia
Rep

... and this post was entered using the iOS app - the degree sign, which appears with another preceding character, is again entered on the next line:
°

btw, the degree sign is created on an iPhone by holding down 0 (zero) on the keypad and selecting the alternate character.
The above representation of the degree sign displays the same in the browser.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
A couple of small things I've noticed which might be easily implemented:

The gesture of swiping into the screen from off the left edge opens up the navigation pane. Perhaps it could be an option, but I personally would suggest changing that gesture to mimick the "return" arrow, ie go back one page at a time.

When replying to a post, the quoted text is hidden from the compose screen - is this intentional? I've been dealing with this by editing the post to remove the junk I don't want to re-quote. This issue leads to a ton of extra content being re-posted where perhaps it would otherwise been removed by more veteran users of the site and forums in general.

I posted these because I noticed that this thread exists. I came to this sub forum because going to the current News link "M235i ED in progress" is effectively crashing the app. The thread loads blank and I can still swipe to and from the navigation pane, but all other buttons fail and I have to restart the app. Same thing happened when I located the thread in its particular forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
djhex36
Mr. Fluffy
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW/BLK M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by apptest
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Quote:

Thanks. The next coming version (3.8.4) will be restricted to ios7+ only.

As for upgrading to ios7, you just jynxed yourself . But seriously you should also think about getting an iphone 5 or 6. I did the iPhone 4s to 5 upgrade and I'm so much happier with the improved speed of the iphone 6. Not only does bimmerpost really fly on the faster phone so does Basicly everything else

Good luck !
Why did you remove the "search" function in the app??

Is there a new way to search that isn't obvious?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #15
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhex36

Thanks!

It's the same as before, but now it is a button with the word "Search" on it instead of a magnifying glass.

Another suggestion would be to have this in each sub forum. Currently it's only available, for example, for the F30post main section that lists all the forums. Once a forum section is picked, there is no search option.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhex36

Thanks!

It's the same as before, but now it is a button with the word "Search" on it instead of a magnifying glass.

Another suggestion would be to have this in each sub forum. Currently it's only available, for example, for the F30post main section that lists all the forums. Once a forum section is picked, there is no search option.
Exactly correct !

As for sub forum search. I agree it's something we want to do. For now search results are being provided by google which simply does not sort results by sub forums at this time. So we are looking at other ways of doing this but it could be some time
      03-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #17
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ok now that version 3.8.9 is out, I thought I'd give you the response you asked for

1) Un-starring a forum doesn't remove it from the favorites
== Fixed

2) After removing all forums in "My Forums" for a particular parent forum, that parent forum isn't automatically removed.
== Fixed

3) When replying to a PM, the ability to review the original PM is no longer available.
== Fixed (must click on " icon)

4) When replying to a PM, the whole original PM history should be requoted and included in the reply - even if it's not shown while typing the reply as was previously the case.
== Fixed (must click on " icon)

5) When viewing the Messages (PM) list, while it is possible to swipe left (from the far right) on a particular PM to reveal a white-on-red Delete option, it is too difficult to do the precise swipe action required to reveal it.
== Very true! This will also happen in subscriptions area as well. We are working on a fix for this, but the bug is coming from a module not in our control, so we await a fix ourselves for now

6) When viewing a forum, the threads title start out as bolded blue, changes to unbolded black after being read and, after you come back to the app in the morning, those unbolded black threads are now bolde black - I don't get it and I don't like it
== Changed. See what you think of how it works now

7) When viewing Sent Messages, scrolling/swiping down or tapping on Page 2 causes the app to crash (goes to the iPhone home screen).
== Tried to replicate this bug and simply could not do it. Does it still happen for you consistently?

8) Red screen of death when clicking on a notification (i.e. appreciation, mention) or tapping "Clear All"
== Fixed

9) Provide search capability while in a sub-forum and make the search be restricted to returning results from just that sub-forum.
== We really want this too. For now search results are provided by google, who simple does not offer this kind of search tailoring at this time. We are working on a unique workaround at the moment

10) Does not scroll to the top of the page when the status bar is tapped - last status was Evaluating.
== Fixed. Sort of It seems to work well on iOS8 but iOS7 is still choppy in how it works. If you are on iOS8, see if its working for you?

11) Images are cropped in the thread - should display a resized image in the app (when you tap on the cropped image, the full image is displayed)
== Still being worked on. But no hope in sight. This has to do with getting autoscroll to properly align to posts

12) Images are not displayed in PMs ([IMG] tags and URL are displayed) - images are displayed in the browser
Different fonts not displayed correctly in threads or PMs, e.g. Courier New displays as Times New Roman
== Fixed

13) View profile
remove Bimmerpost app logo and replace with avatar but make the allocated pixel area smaller for the avatar
left-justify username so it isn't truncated
== The bimmerpost icon is simply a placeholder for people that don't have a user profile picture set. So for example if you look at my user profile (Mark) you can see how both images look when set)

14) Show whether the user is online - could be done using background or font colours, e.g. green is online and red (or default white) is offline.
== Good idea. We will be expanding the user profile with more information (reputation,etc) and we can add this as well

15) Auto-populate the quoted PM/post in any reply
== This is already happening, just click on " icon and see what is being quoted

16) Provide an option to not show your signature
== Good idea. Will probably add this at some point as part of adding the forum user options into the app

17) Minimalistic landscape mode - we need more screen realestate in landscape mode
== Landscape is useless even if we remove toolbars. (tool icons need to be there or the user would be stuck on the current page of thread). Translucent arrows still get in the way (we've tested it). We can still probably release this, but unfortunately its not very nice

18) Change navigation arrow to be more inline with iOS7 styling (Apple URL - may not be retained indefinitely) - there were already some other comments regarding its anatomical resemblance so perhaps simply use the following (or the iOS7 equivalent of):
<< < > >>
== Ok ok, well I'll think about it

Thanks again for your truly amazing and constructive bug reports, it has been such a tremendous help and you know that. Please always feel free to post the bugs you see and Im sure we can at least try to address the issues

Last edited by apptest; 03-01-2015 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
I didn't know that the view-quoted-text button was there, that's actually quite useful. But what I have in mind is the ability to edit that quoted text as I'm viewing it, so that I can truncate the quoted post to the words to which I am responding and reduce clutter. Perhaps it is possible with the form you've put in place?

For example, I don't want to requote your entire post above, so what I had to do is submit my reply then edit it to take out the bulk and trim to point number 15. I think most people don't see it, don't care to edit and shrink their post, and we end up with a lot of junk on the screen.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #19
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore
Quote:
I didn't know that the view-quoted-text button was there, that's actually quite useful. But what I have in mind is the ability to edit that quoted text as I'm viewing it, so that I can truncate the quoted post to the words to which I am responding and reduce clutter. Perhaps it is possible with the form you've put in place?

For example, I don't want to requote your entire post above, so what I had to do is submit my reply then edit it to take out the bulk and trim to point number 15. I think most people don't see it, don't care to edit and shrink their post, and we end up with a lot of junk on the screen.
Got ya. Good suggestion!

We've already submitted version 3.9 but we will work in something along these lines for version 3.9.1

Thanks!
      03-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Not sure if this was fixed with the upcoming release, but I'm getting an alert while checking my messages. Note that I currently do not have any messages in my inbox.

col: 3570, line: 1, "undefined is not an object (evaluating 'l.length')" from pm.js
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #21
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

If I edit a thread from the app it messes up the coding. I recently hit edit from the app on a thread I created from my desktop to remove a link and when I hit save, the format on the app was spread out and the Youtube link was removed.

i went to the computer to view the thread and the photos were made to links and the youtube link was "un-embedded" and made to a url link that didn't work.

I hit edit and all the youtubes were wrapped with extra [url] and the [img] wraps had URLs as well. Simply removing these fixed it, but still...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #22
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill
Not sure if this was fixed with the upcoming release, but I'm getting an alert while checking my messages. Note that I currently do not have any messages in my inbox.

col: 3570, line: 1, "undefined is not an object (evaluating 'l.length')" from pm.js
This is now fixed in the upcoming version 3.9.1

Thanks!