2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions What is happening to 1Addicts?
Closed Thread

02-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Dodo
Extinct
Germany
Rep
Drives: Slow

What is happening to 1Addicts?

Just felt I had to say something, so here goes.

I have been a member of this forum since early last year and was lurking before joining.

This has been a good community, generally helpful and usually civilized and mature. Obviously there were disagreements and not everyone was enamored of the proactive approach the moderators took, but I was glad to have a well structured place to come visit.

After the merger there seemed to be a few technical glitches, which is to be expected, but the tone seemed to stay somewhat similar, unless you ventured into the OT areas, where it was quite different.

I was sure that the moderators I had come to rely on would keep things in check, but now it seems they are all gone: larryn, atr_hugo, ChrisK, mikeo, Surname are all no longer listed as mods, and appear to have left voluntarily due to "Differences".

What does this mean for the forum I have come to know and love? I am not sure, but I will miss those guys and their (sometimes very funny) input. As for myself, I will stick around a while longer (provided this post dosn't get me an infraction or just banned outright) and hope for the best.

Any new moderators will have big shoes to fill.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
I was sure that the moderators I had come to rely would keep things in check, but now it seems they are all gone: larryn, atr_hugo, ChrisK, mikeo, Surname are all no longer listed as mods, and appear to have left voluntarily due to "Differences".

since when?!

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

Quote:
Just felt I had to say something, so here goes.

I have been a member of this forum since early last year and was lurking before joining.

This has been a good community, generally helpful and usually civilized and mature. Obviously there were disagreements and not everyone was enamored of the proactive approach the moderators took, but I was glad to have a well structured place to come visit.

After the merger there seemed to be a few technical glitches, which is to be expected, but the tone seemed to stay somewhat similar, unless you ventured into the OT areas, where it was quite different.

I was sure that the moderators I had come to rely would keep things in check, but now it seems they are all gone: larryn, atr_hugo, ChrisK, mikeo, Surname are all no longer listed as mods, and appear to have left voluntarily due to "Differences".

What does this mean for the forum I have come to know and love? I am not sure, but I will miss those guys and their (sometimes very funny) input. As for myself, I will stick around a while longer (provided this post dosn't get me an infraction or just banned outright) and hope for the best.

Any new moderators will have big shoes to fill.
Oh god not this nonsense again. I was so happy for the last few days because I didn't have to see new threads about how the world was going to end. Everything has seemed the same around here and I'm generally very happy with the site and so no real differences around here. The only new thing I see are posts by 'disgruntled' members who can't actually say why they are disgruntled except that it 'seems' different but no its not different. Sounds like some old guys who are afraid of change?? I think these posts projecting doom and gloom or what could go wrong are a waste of time. Stop wasting time hoping for bad things to happen and go out and drive!

I will be the first one to step up and complain when I see something wrong, but the forum is the exact same and I still enjoy reading the "New Posts" everyday. With that said, I do think this thread should be closed or atleast moved. I wonder if i'm the only one tired of all the whining about nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
I woke up this morning, and my dog was sleeping in my bed. IN THE BED, can you believe that? She is a freakin' mutt, what is she doing where the humans sleep?

I blame this on the merger with bimmerposts.com.

Last edited by xbook; 02-04-2009 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: poor spelling as usual
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Dodo
Extinct
Germany
Rep

Well, sorry that I annoyed you with my post, but to me pretty much ALL the old mods quitting is kind of a big deal.

And, as stated above I will be sticking around.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Ill miss Larryn, he's a riot
      02-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

I'm still confused why the forum bosses even decided the merger was a good idea. I don't give a damn about the "garage" feature; its certainly no reason to merge with Bimmerpost. I guess its like Time Warner merging with AOL. It sure seemed like a good idea at the time...

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, sorry that I annoyed you with my post, but to me pretty much ALL the old mods quitting is kind of a big deal.

does anyone know why they all left?

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianangel3290 View Post
does anyone know why they all left?
I'd say its normal with any merger/takeover. The larger organization forces out the upper management of the smaller org and replaces them with their middle managers. It usually ruins the working environment in the smaller organization but the negative trickle down effects usually aren't felt immediately. As time goes on the smaller org adapts to become something new, leaving a nostalgic, wistful feeling for the remaining members of the smaller organization.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
I'd say its normal with any merger/takeover. The larger organization forces out the upper management of the smaller org and replaces them with their middle managers. It usually ruins the working environment in the smaller organization but the negative trickle down effect usually isn't immediately felt.

i believe an uprising is in order, anyone else down for mutiny? lol

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

Quote:

Well not so much that it annoyed me but I've been on this site since it was called 2Addicts and Cult1 and i've seen the mods change a few times and seen the board go through many changes and nothing bad has happened yet. Do you remeber the complaints about changing the site to 1addicts??? In retrospect those complainers didn't know anything because the site only got better and better. As long as the admins stay on board and site improves then I'm happy. I don't waste my time complaining about problems that don't exist yet. I think I have enough problems outside this forum...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianangel3290 View Post
i believe an uprising is in order, anyone else down for mutiny? lol
Lol, what are you going to do, leave? Start your own forum? Its hardly worth it since the technical and commerical forums are still rolling strong, its the the social aspects which have changed. At the end of the day I just remind myself its about the cars and the driving.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
Dodo
Extinct
Germany
Rep

Calm down guys, it isn't as bad as all that. I would hate for this thread to degenerate into Bimmerpost bashing.

Let's do our old mods proud and keep a level head about this.

Here is an interesting link:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

I was apprehensive of the merger but so far it has been smooth sailing and appreciate the added life -- I am even planning a professional photo shoot (studio) of my sedona!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

aside from loosing my username it's not been too bad, and one glitch in the offtopic areas

where did the old mods move to?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

so am i allowed to call people douche's without getting infractions now
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
Dodo
Extinct
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Well not so much that it annoyed me but I've been on this site since it was called 2Addicts and Cult1 and i've seen the mods change a few times and seen the board go through many changes and nothing bad has happened yet. Do you remeber the complaints about changing the site to 1addicts??? In retrospect those complainers didn't know anything because the site only got better and better. As long as the admins stay on board and site improves then I'm happy. I don't waste my time complaining about problems that don't exist yet. I think I have enough problems outside this forum...
Thanks for the clarification DaveO! Those changes were before my time, so all I have known was 1Addicts. I agree with you that as long as things keep getting better there is no problem.
But I will miss some of the old mod gang and hope they will still stay on as contributors.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
bigb135i
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Calm down guys, it isn't as bad as all that. I would hate for this thread to degenerate into Bimmerpost bashing.

Let's do our old mods proud and keep a level head about this.

Here is an interesting link:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
I agree!

I waited a year to get my damn 135 so im glad to be here and so far no glitches so far. heres to hoping it gets better
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #19
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxomar View Post
so am i allowed to call people douche's without getting infractions now
edit clarification

I hope you would get infractions/banned, this is one of the forums I can read at work

Last edited by imported_mega; 02-04-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
I'm still confused why the forum bosses even decided the merger was a good idea. I don't give a damn about the "garage" feature; its certainly no reason to merge with Bimmerpost. I guess its like Time Warner merging with AOL. It sure seemed like a good idea at the time...

I would think it got bought out?
      02-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
AW09M3
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: M3

<sarcasm> This place has alot more posting, people and loads alot faster now. You are right this sucks!! </sarcasm>
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
Dodo
Extinct
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvius View Post
<sarcasm> This place has alot more posting, people and loads alot faster now. You are right this sucks!! </sarcasm>

Where exactly did I say it sucks?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread