2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions How about some respect???
Closed Thread

04-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Exclamation How about some respect???

Hi,

Although I recently become a member, I have been following this forum for more a year. I have to admit that there are tons of good people who go to distance to help strangers that they haven't met before. They give honest answers, advices and spend time to take pictures and so on... I learned a lot from those people and able to do some mods on my own.

I sincerely thank those I mentioned above.

But I also noticed a few things that turned me off

1 - Some members become sarcastic when a novice member asks a simple question such as "Omg, low oil level indicator warning is on, what am i going to do?". Then some members response like "you need a new engine". This is totally unnecessary. Just because you have more knowledge about car does mean that you should put down those who don't.

2 - I am not sure whether it is intentional or not but some members give answers without knowing what they are talking about. This may cause problems to those who will act on the responses that get (not only the one who asked the question but many other who read them).

As I said most member are really decent people and I really appreciate their input. I just hope that those who qualify above 2 items would stop what they are doing.

Thanks

Last edited by mylydiamy; 04-30-2009 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Jimmeh
Major General
Rep
Drives: Ms. Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
Hi,

Although I recently become a member, I have been following this forum for more a year. I have to admit that there are tons of good people who go to distance to help strangers that they haven't met before. They give honest answers, advices and spend time to take pictures and so on... I learned a lot from those people and able to do some mods on my own.

But I also noticed a few things that tuned me off

1 - Some members become sarcastic when a novice member asks a simple question such as "Omg, low oil level indicator warning is on, what am i going to do?". Then some members response like "you need a new engine". This is totally unnecessary. Just because you have more knowledge about car does mean that you should put down those who don't.

2 - I am not sure whether it is intentioal or not but some members give answers without knowing what they are talking about. This may cause problems to those who will act on the responses that get (not only the one who asked the question but many other who read them).

As I sad most member are really decent people and I really appreciate their input. I just hope that those who qualify above 2 items would stop what they are doing.

Thanks
Spellcheck FTL
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
OOO-ooooooooooooooooo!
      04-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
JBiddy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M

04-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Some BMW drivers are know it all, one up you, money flashing, jackasses who feel as though they have some sort of entitlement..and to what I can't quite figure it out....and most of them tend to find themselves on sites like this.

But just ignore them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Quote:
Hi,

2 - I am not sure whether it is intentional or not but some members give answers without knowing what they are talking about. This may cause problems to those who will act on the responses that get (not only the one who asked the question but many other who read them).

As I sad most member are really decent people and I really appreciate their input. I just hope that those who qualify above 2 items would stop what they are doing.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

You came to an online forum for respect? I'm sorry, but there are much better places to turn for respect. This is basically a database full of information to answer any question you have, or you can come to us if you want our opinion. Feel free to start a new thread on an issue if you can't find it using the search function. If you're too incompetent to make your own decisions, and turn to members every two days with a new thread asking "Hai guys shud I do dis or dis?" then be prepared as well.

I agree with you on the point of people giving advice matter-of-factly when their answer is actually wrong. This undermines the integrity and purpose of the forum as a database accessed by the search function.

Biggest rule of thumb around here is to search before starting threads. If you're too lazy to search, but have the time to start your own thread, you deserve what is coming to you.

Don't take anything personally. If you are one that is really sensitive to immaturity or asinine comments, which you will find plenty of in any online environment, then you should probably not post. It's sad that things are this way, and in a perfect world, I guess everyone would get along, but that's simply not the truth. You just have to be the bigger man and accept that's the way it is.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Welcome to teh intarnetz d00d.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
      04-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Some people are know it all, one up you, money flashing, jackasses who feel as though they have some sort of entitlement..
I fixed that comment for you.

If you think this behavior is unique to any one group you are sadly mistaken. They come from every race, creed, religion, class, city, country, etc and drive every make of car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

i'm joking!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

04-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

"500 posts, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street posts and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are."

Great quote. Altered a bit to fit the premise.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
Welcome to teh intarnetz d00d.
+1

you just have to learn how to sift through all the bullshit, and not take things so seriously
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

someone is having their period
      04-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

As I said most member are really decent people and I really appreciate their input. I just hope that those who qualify above 2 items would stop what they are doing.

Thanks
It DOES mean if someone knows more about cars that they can bring down other people? So when I know more about something than someone else I can bring them down. Thanks for the approval lol jk dude!

But here you go since this is what you are after

04-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
+1

you just have to learn how to sift through all the bullshit, and not take things so seriously
Thanks for your advice.

I am old and experinced and educated enough not to let nonsence get to me. I just wish that non-sence never happens (but I know that we don't live in a perfect world)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You came to an online forum for respect? I'm sorry, but there are much better places to turn for respect. This is basically a database full of information to answer any question you have, or you can come to us if you want our opinion. Feel free to start a new thread on an issue if you can't find it using the search function. If you're too incompetent to make your own decisions, and turn to members every two days with a new thread asking "Hai guys shud I do dis or dis?" then be prepared as well.

I agree with you on the point of people giving advice matter-of-factly when their answer is actually wrong. This undermines the integrity and purpose of the forum as a database accessed by the search function.

Biggest rule of thumb around here is to search before starting threads. If you're too lazy to search, but have the time to start your own thread, you deserve what is coming to you.

Don't take anything personally. If you are one that is really sensitive to immaturity or asinine comments, which you will find plenty of in any online environment, then you should probably not post. It's sad that things are this way, and in a perfect world, I guess everyone would get along, but that's simply not the truth. You just have to be the bigger man and accept that's the way it is.

Just my $.02
i.e. :
      04-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
someone is having their period
we will have similar post next month....
      04-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameal999 View Post
It DOES mean if someone knows more about cars that they can bring down other people? So when I know more about something than someone else I can bring them down. Thanks for the approval lol jk dude!

But here you go since this is what you are after

Excuse my poor English. I am esl
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
we will have similar post next month....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Excuse my poor English. I am esl