2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2011 535i xDrive engine failure

07-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #45
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I'm still trying to understand your point? BMW is having issues with all V8s, for various reasons. It goes across all models and years and not limited to N63s. If you go to the M5 forums, people complain about the S63 having catastrophic failures all the time. Trying to fix something and fixing something are different things and the customer is left to pay for the fix.

I am still waiting for those statistics by the way...
Yea sorry I don't get your point. Would you rather BMW just didn't do anything at all...? You're complaining that they're not meeting your expectations of fixes? How inane. Yea, BMW isn't great at making V8's, what's your point?

My point is, you're acting as if BMW is just trying to "mask the problem". They're trying to fix the problem. Weather or not the fixes work is a different matter, but they are genuinely trying. Also, it's not always the customer who pays. If something fails within the warranty period, it's probably not going to be the customer paying for it. The CCP for the N63 is a great example of BMW paying for the repairs.

Quote:
If you go to the M5 forums, people complain about the S63 having catastrophic failures all the time.
Like you said, anecdotal evidence isn't to be trusted

Last edited by Unspec; 07-09-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #46
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I can't help but wonder if all, or most, of these failures are due to power modifications...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #47
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Yea sorry I don't get your point. Would you rather BMW just didn't do anything at all...? You're complaining that they're not meeting your expectations of fixes? How inane. Yea, BMW isn't great at making V8's, what's your point?

My point is, you're acting as if BMW is just trying to "mask the problem". They're trying to fix the problem. Weather or not the fixes work is a different matter, but they are genuinely trying. Also, it's not always the customer who pays. If something fails within the warranty period, it's probably not going to be the customer paying for it. The CCP for the N63 is a great example of BMW paying for the repairs.

Like you said, anecdotal evidence isn't to be trusted
Again, you with your "anecdotal evidence" without providing "factual" statistics. I have a feeling you just learned a new word and keep re-using it

It's easy to call anything "anecdotal evidence" without providing other backup for your claim.

You have strayed away from the original point I was making - all 63 variations have issues, whether it's just the N, TU or S - despite some people believing that the TU version is the silver bullet to the problems.

As someone who has owned both, I can assure that it's not the case. I'd love to hear your opinion once you have owned both versions so that this can turn into an adult discussion as opposed to just an opinion from someone who has never owned either.

Again, I am waiting on your statistics where you claim that newer version have a smaller failure rates when it comes to oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #48
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I can't help but wonder if all, or most, of these failures are due to power modifications...
Could be. Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands of these cars sold, but you will not hear from the majority of the happy customers. This is especially true for BMW owners who I consider enthusiasts and are probably more opinionated when it comes to these things than just your regular car owners.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #49
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again, you with your "anecdotal evidence" without providing "factual" statistics. I have a feeling you just learned a new word and keep re-using it
Are you saying I'm using anecdotal evidence? Because none of what I stated is anecdotal. It's all just my own opinion on a matter. None of it is being presented as evidence. The funny part about your own claims is that none of it is being backed by statistics. You're the one who's making claims about reliability, and then... asking me for the evidence? What? That's not how burden of proof works. I haven't made a single claim about reliability.

Quote:
It's easy to call anything "anecdotal evidence" without providing other backup for your claim.
There's a very specific definition of what anecdotal evidence is, and you're the one constantly using it to try to backup your own claims. In fact, none of what I have said so far is me claiming anything. All I have done is state my own opinion and point out the fact that BMW has actually put out fixes.

Quote:
You have strayed away from the original point I was making - all 63 variations have issues, whether it's just the N, TU or S - despite some people believing that the TU version is the silver bullet to the problems.

As an owner who has owned both, I can assure that it's not the case. I'd love to hear your opinion once you have owned both versions so that this can turn into an adult discussion as opposed to just an opinion from someone who has never owned either.
Lol there you go again, using anecdotal evidence to back your claim. You're using your own personal experience to back up your claim, which is hilariously a textbook definition of what anecdotal evidence is. You yourself have zero statistics to back your own claim, yet you somehow try to criticize me for it. Again, might want to reread what I have said over the past few posts. Nowhere did I ever make a single claim about reliability.

Quote:
Again, I am waiting on your statistics where you claim this is true.
Burden of proof don't work that way broski. You're the one making claims about its reliability, you're the one who needs to show proof about that, and personal experience isn't evidence. I've only made statements about the fact that BMW is throwing fixes at the problem, which is in and of itself a factually true statement.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #50
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So we'll leave it as you have no proof and are commenting on something you don't own. Do you work for BMW by any chance, where you are trying to protect them?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #51
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

So we'll leave it as you have no proof and are commenting on something you don't own. Do you work for BMW by any chance, where you are trying to protect them?
... gosh you're not the sharpest out there are you. Google what burden of proof is and maybe you'll understand why you're making yourself look like a dullard. Have fun with your personal anecdotes
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #52
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
... gosh you're not the sharpest out there are you. Google what burden of proof is and maybe you'll understand why you're making yourself look like a dullard. Have fun with your personal anecdotes
Any way you try to spin it, an owner of 3 N63/N63TU vehicles would have much better input than someone like you. You just learned a new word and keep repeating it without having any relation to the subject at hand.

You're the type who pretends to know something about a subject based on opinions without having first hand experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #53
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Any way you try to spin it, an owner of 3 N63/N63TU vehicles would have much better input than someone like you. You just learned a new word and keep repeating it without having any relation to the subject at hand.

You're the type who pretends to know something about a subject based on opinions without having first hand experience.
Oh dear, you're becoming a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

The irony of you trying to imply that I just learned about what anecdotal evidence is, while you yourself constantly using it to try to back your own claims, is fucking gold. In fact, in that very response, you literally saying "I have more personal experience therefore I am right" is textbook! Just to see how far down the rabbithole you've gone, pray tell me, what was the claim I was trying to make that you're claiming to know more about?

Last edited by Unspec; 07-09-2020 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #54
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh dear, you're becoming a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

The irony of you trying to imply that I just learned about what anecdotal evidence is, while you yourself constantly using it to try to back your own claims, is fucking gold. In fact, in that very response, you literally saying "I have more personal experience therefore I am right" is textbook! Just to see how far down the rabbithole you've gone, pray tell me, what was the claim I was trying to make that you're claiming to know more about?
And not a single point was made.
Appreciate 1
Unspec1265.00
      07-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #55
BrandBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix M-sport

Garage List
2011 535ix Msport  [0.00]
1992 850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Getting back to the topic. I also wonder if any of these are plain human error, like as I mentioned the potential of a tech not performing the work correctly, to an owner ignoring an oil leak. As we know, improper priming when doing the OFHG to not lubing certain o-rings, can cause issues.

Also, how many people use the thin Mobil 1 5W-30 (A1/B1 - not LL01) in hot climates when an A3/B3 (LL01) oil should be used for the hot engine/turbo, like Castrol's 5W-30 (specific A3/B3 version) oil, Castrol 0W-30 (A3/B3), or all 0W-40 & 5W-40 oils. From the dozen or so oils I gathered specs on in a spreadsheet, all LL01 oils are at least A3/B3. Then, add that today, versus 2011, there are many more 0W-40 and A3/B3 oil options on the market due to the trend in turbo engines across all makes. So, market availability could have been another factor because an independent shop in 2013 (or even today) may use what oil that was/is easily available to them, even if that isn't an A3/B3 or LL01 oil.

The lesson, there are many human (and non-human) error factors that could cause/contribute to engine failures besides engine design or manufacturing. Are there design or manufacturing failure point trends, sure. But even for a trend, say in a certain early year, could be explained by just the availability in oil selection (let alone change interval), not saying that it is, but it can contribute to the trend.

What's the point? Data and data analysis is fuzzy at best for many reasons. Causes become cloudier. So, hopefully, these threads at least help owners become a little more informed of what to look for in maintaining, buying, or disputing an issue for their N55 equipped F10.

BTW, a friend has a build date 10/2010 N55 535ix and no issues whatsoever. Going strong at over 145k miles. No mods.
'11 535ix M-Sport - FMIC, CP, BM3 engine & trans, CQuartz Finest Ceramic, Poly tension bushings, Dynamic, Active Roll, Flappy paddles, HUD, Premium(s), Cold, Convenience, 5-cameras, 4-zones, Driver's Assist, Auto high, Hex trim
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Past: '93 525i w/ S38B36 M5 engine/trans swap, '99 540i/6sp Sport, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #56
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandBMW View Post
BTW, a friend has a build date 10/2010 N55 535ix and no issues whatsoever. Going strong at over 145k miles. No mods.
Watch out, AmooManiak has thoroughly warned us against the usage of personal experience to justify your claims

Here's also an interesting tidbit about BMW engine oils: Only group 3 oils can be officially approved by BMW. That's why so many high end oils like Red Line and Liqui Moly will have recommended, instead of approved. They use arguably better base stock (group 4 and 5) resulting in a better oil, but BMW will not approve those kind of oils.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #57
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Watch out, AmooManiak has thoroughly warned us against the usage of personal experience to justify your claims
Mate, it's quite the opposite. I am ENCOURAGING the use of personal experience to justify claims. That's what I did
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #58
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mate, it's quite the opposite. I am ENCOURAGING the use of personal experience to justify claims. That's what I did
Quote:
So I've concluded to not listen to one off cases or old wives tales
Which AmooManiak is the real AmooManiak

You're all over the place
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #59
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Which AmooManiak is the real AmooManiak

You're all over the place
You're proving my point again, and you also keep de-railing the discussion for others. I wonder how old you are...

I'm not listening to one off cases, but something where you can statistically see a pattern.

A person buying a used lemon without a PPI where no oil changes were done which results in engine issues would cause a false-positive which may indicate that something was wrong with the engine when in reality it's a maintenance issue.

A person who has owned that same car since new for 5 years and did not have any issues is someone you can raliably get data from.

By the way, I'm still waiting on those statistics from you.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #60
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're proving my point again, and you also keep de-railing the discussion for others. I wonder how old you are...

I'm not listening to one off cases, but something where you can statistically see a pattern.

A person buying a used lemon without a PPI where no oil changes were done which results in engine issues would cause a false-positive which may indicate that something was wrong with the engine when in reality it's a maintenance issue.

A person who has owned that same car since new for 5 years and did not have any issues is someone you can raliably get data from.

By the way, I'm still waiting on those statistics from you.
You're something else aren't ya. You're right, I keep derailing the conversation, I apologize to everyone else for that. I just have a hard time ignoring ironic ignorance. You can believe what you want, but you're also kind of proving my point every time you reply. Have a good day
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #61
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandBMW View Post
Also, how many people use the thin Mobil 1 5W-30 (A1/B1 - not LL01) in hot climates when an A3/B3 (LL01) oil should be used for the hot engine/turbo,
BMW also started with the FE specs like LL-01FE in North America (for CAFE reasons) - who knows what the pattern might be there.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #62
Snakle535i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i MSport

Garage List
I recently changed my Oil to Mobil1 0W-40 and can definitely tell the difference in how the car runs and performs.
      06-28-2022, 02:21 PM   #63
cals
cals
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535ix 2011

Garage List
2001 BMW E39  [0.00]
2004 BMW E60  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Interesting debate.....

Just happen to have a 2011 535xi with over 230K KM, which seems to have spun a rod bearing (hence how I landed on this thread, at least to the original posting from user Kmmitchct).

No mods, regular maintenance, oil changes every 5k, etc etc. OFHG and VCG were replaced over 2 years ago.

Have spent a few hours browsing and found quite a number of cases of early N55s failures, even a thread with an ongoing list of cases including 335s and X5s; can't say if that is (or not) statistically significant, but based on 15+ yrs of BMW ownership, certain issues become "common" and start showing up on these forums (e.g. like VCG, OFHG,..) so it *seems* that Rod Bearing may be one, unfortunately.

Right now, trying to see what options do I have...fix?, replace engine? sell/part-out?..... :-/

Last edited by cals; 06-28-2022 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2023, 10:23 PM   #64
Keyshawncol
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Bmw

Garage List
  [0.00]
This page still active ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 11:19 PM   #65
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyshawncol View Post
This page still active ?
You just reactivated the thread.....welcome to the forum!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:53 PM   #66
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]