2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding NBT iDrive USB Video Settings

07-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
NBT iDrive USB Video Settings

So after a lot of research and trial and error, I think I figured out the best format to use for watching movies on the iDrive screen using a USB drive. This is used primarily to keep passengers entertained on long trips, and also to create a sort of personal drive-in theater experience date night for the wife and I.

I've found using Handbrake to convert my MKV files to MP4 files works well and isn't overly complicated. These are the settings I've found create the best results for playback on the NBT iDrive screen:

Import the file to be converted.

Select the "FAST 1080p30" preset. I'm sure you could use another preset instead, but this is how I've done it without issue. (You can save settings that you change below as a new preset to make it easier to convert more movies later, you'll just need to change the audio settings each time)
Summary Tab: Choose MP4 as the format.

Dimensions Tab: Anamorphic=None
Dimensions Tab: Check the "Keep Aspect Ratio" Box
Dimensions Tab: Set the Height to 480, and let it change the Width automatically.

Video Tab: Use the H.264 Codec
Video Tab: Set the Framerate to "Same as Source"
Video Tab: Select "Constant Framerate"
Video Tab: Move the Encoder Preset slider to "Slow"
Video Tab: Set Encoder Profile to "High"
Video Tab: Set Encoder Level to "4.1"
Video Tab: Move the Quality Slider to "16"

Audio Tab: Make sure the correct audio track is selected, then change Bitrate to "320"
Everything else I left at the default settings. You can change some of these and other settings and still get a usable video, but this is what I've used, and it seems to produce quality audio and video, and hasn't failed me yet.

NOTES:
  • The native resolution of the NBT iDrive screen is 1280x480. Although most people recognize Full HD as 1920x1080 (A 16:9 Aspect ratio), I've found most movies to be 1920x803 (A 2.39:1 Aspect Ratio). For this reason I set anamorphic to "none" for square pixels, select "Keep Aspect Ratio", then adjust the height to the native 480 for the iDrive screen and then let the program adjust the width automatically to preserve the original movie aspect ratio.
  • Most of my movies are direct rips from my Blu-Ray discs, so they usually are 23.976 FPS. Setting the framerate to "Same as Source" keeps the original FPS of the movie. I haven't tried other settings, and I haven't had any movies with a different FPS, so I don't know what is required to playback correctly in the car, I just know 23.976 works and is the format my movies were originally.
  • I have used FAT32 and exFAT to format my USB drive, but I've read other formats may work too (Such as NTFS), but I haven't tried that out myself.
  • I've only converted my MKV video files so far, but other files types should work without any issues.
  • I haven't tried any surround sound audio settings, as I have an aftermarket stereo setup, and am not able to use surround sound. (The "FAST" preset seems to change audio to "Stereo", which is what I want for my use).
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2020, 01:34 AM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
So after a lot of research and trial and error, I think I figured out the best format to use for watching movies on the iDrive screen using a USB drive. This is used primarily to keep passengers entertained on long trips, and also to create a sort of personal drive-in theater experience date night for the wife and I.

I've found using Handbrake to convert my MKV files to MP4 files works well and isn't overly complicated. These are the settings I've found create the best results for playback on the NBT iDrive screen:

Import the file to be converted.

Select the "FAST 1080p30" preset. I'm sure you could use another preset instead, but this is how I've done it without issue. (You can save settings that you change below as a new preset to make it easier to convert more movies later, you'll just need to change the audio settings each time)
Summary Tab: Choose MP4 as the format.

Dimensions Tab: Anamorphic=None
Dimensions Tab: Check the "Keep Aspect Ratio" Box
Dimensions Tab: Set the Height to 480, and let it change the Width automatically.

Video Tab: Use the H.264 Codec
Video Tab: Set the Framerate to "Same as Source"
Video Tab: Select "Constant Framerate"
Video Tab: Move the Encoder Preset slider to "Slow"
Video Tab: Set Encoder Profile to "High"
Video Tab: Set Encoder Level to "4.1"
Video Tab: Move the Quality Slider to "16"

Audio Tab: Make sure the correct audio track is selected, then change Bitrate to "320"
Everything else I left at the default settings. You can change some of these and other settings and still get a usable video, but this is what I've used, and it seems to produce quality audio and video, and hasn't failed me yet.

NOTES:
  • The native resolution of the NBT iDrive screen is 1280x480. Although most people recognize Full HD as 1920x1080 (A 16:9 Aspect ratio), I've found most movies to be 1920x803 (A 2.39:1 Aspect Ratio). For this reason I set anamorphic to "none" for square pixels, select "Keep Aspect Ratio", then adjust the height to the native 480 for the iDrive screen and then let the program adjust the width automatically to preserve the original movie aspect ratio.
  • Most of my movies are direct rips from my Blu-Ray discs, so they usually are 23.976 FPS. Setting the framerate to "Same as Source" keeps the original FPS of the movie. I haven't tried other settings, and I haven't had any movies with a different FPS, so I don't know what is required to playback correctly in the car, I just know 23.976 works and is the format my movies were originally.
  • I have used FAT32 and exFAT to format my USB drive, but I've read other formats may work too (Such as NTFS), but I haven't tried that out myself.
  • I've only converted my MKV video files so far, but other files types should work without any issues.
  • I haven't tried any surround sound audio settings, as I have an aftermarket stereo setup, and am not able to use surround sound. (The "FAST" preset seems to change audio to "Stereo", which is what I want for my use).

In the NBT there is a setting to change resolution to 1600x600. I know the cameras do appear to be better/clearer but not sure about USB Video. Maybe give that a shot to see if the movies look even better?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
In the NBT there is a setting to change resolution to 1600x600. I know the cameras do appear to be better/clearer but not sure about USB Video. Maybe give that a shot to see if the movies look even better?
I'll have to look into this. I see the option in ESYS, but I haven't noticed a difference so far after switching it. You say the cameras appear better, what headunit do you have, the NBT?

I wonder what the actual screen resolution is...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:08 AM   #4
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I have retrofitted the NBT headhunt and screen. BTW, there are two types of screens as well for the NBT. The newer one seems like it might have a better backlighting system as compared to the older one (maybe). As for resolution, I think standard is the 1280x480 as you mentioned. Sorry, I dont have much details on this since I came from a CIC which is wicked slow compared to NBT
Appreciate 0