2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Helix Overdrive updates

01-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #45
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
The support bracket doesn't match up but I'm sure the Spool Performance team will correct with an update. The short bolt is the one that comes with the kit and the long 13mm is from my radiator support bracket. However, the holes don't line up after install.

I think this the bracket for the N54.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #46
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Argh! How frustrating... that sucks man, I'm sorry. But again, thanks for piloting this! lol.

BTW, are you going to have to do any software updates to take advantage of the extra fuel? Like, more boost etc? or does Mission have a preset tune for this upgrade?

SHOOT, I just remembered, you need a custom tune anyways with your CAI sucking in all that extra air too. I'm really interested to hear some #'s out of your set up. Dyno and or 1/4 times etc. Do you plan on doing any of that?

Also, you said no methanol now? I thought you were going for some to cool your AIT?.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #47
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Yes a new tune is required to take advantage of all the fuel. Spool Performance will send the data to your tuner. They mentioned 3 majors already have it. I think one of those majors is Cobb. Mission performance does not have a preset for this but they will soon after me.

My tune will be super unique do to my custom intake, PS2 and HOD. Good news is i have cooling in place and a clutch and flywheel that can handle over 600wtq.

A dyno is coming. My car is not really a launch car so no 1/4 mile it's more of a 40-50 roll but I'm heading back to the track. You can catch me at bimmerfest this year.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
      01-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #48
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
What model fuel pump did you get? Is it 2 or 3x or 4x? Can't remember the options.
Do you think the MT will handle what you are gonna put down?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #49
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
What model fuel pump did you get? Is it 2 or 3x or 4x? Can't remember the options.
Do you think the MT will handle what you are gonna put down?
I have the 3x. They don't have a 2x though they should. For me putting down 550whp is plenty for a street/track daily. I don't plan on reinforcing the internals or asking my trans for more. Remember I'm talking WHP that's means 650hp at the crank! Those are M8 hp numbers (of course mine probably won't beat an M8, but you get the point). I will be getting a separate trans mount and filling it with 60a polyurethane to stiffen the movement from all that power. The engine mounts will be stock.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #50
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
I have the 3x. They don't have a 2x though they should. For me putting down 550whp is plenty for a street/track daily. I don't plan on reinforcing the internals or asking my trans for more. Remember I'm talking WHP that's means 650hp at the crank! Those are M8 hp numbers (of course mine probably won't beat an M8, but you get the point). I will be getting a separate trans mount and filling it with 60a polyurethane to stiffen the movement from all that power. The engine mounts will be stock.
I think 550whp is best spot for this engine without running into worrisome territory. 650hp crank is impressive on stock internal 600whp would be a sweet spot but wouldn't risk it with stock internals unless you planning on buying a new car soon lol. But there is no grantee how the engine will handle 550whp either.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #51
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Quote:
I think 550whp is best spot for this engine without running into worrisome territory. 650hp crank is impressive on stock internal 600whp would be a sweet spot but wouldn't risk it with stock internals unless you planning on buying a new car soon lol. But there is no grantee how the engine will handle 550whp either.
Facts

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #52
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Can't wait to see the dyno #'s!

And regarding 1/4 mile vs. rolling starts... I could see where hooking up 550 WHP on a stock tranny, diff, axels etc could be a bit problematic, haha.

How many miles do you have on it?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #53
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Can't wait to see the dyno #'s!

And regarding 1/4 mile vs. rolling starts... I could see where hooking up 550 WHP on a stock tranny, diff, axels etc could be a bit problematic, haha.

How many miles do you have on it?
About to hit 99k

Our cars are not launch cars. Personally I think your asking for trouble if you don't use solid polyurethane bushings everywhere in the car and your consistently launching hard. I would suggest getting the motion and inertia of the engine set around 5-10mph then nail it.

Keep in mind if you do switch to solid bushing everywhere you're probably going to hate it as a daily. Like I mentioned, 60a polyurethane is what I'm going with but only on the trans mount. 60a is the softest compound they make.

https://www.suspension.com/blog/do-i...ement-inserts/

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #54
jayster0966
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
About to hit 99k

Our cars are not launch cars. Personally I think your asking for trouble if you don't use solid polyurethane bushings everywhere in the car and your consistently launching hard. I would suggest getting the motion and inertia of the engine set around 5-10mph then nail it.

Keep in mind if you do switch to solid bushing everywhere you're probably going to hate it as a daily. Like I mentioned, 60a polyurethane is what I'm going with but only on the trans mount. 60a is the softest compound they make.

Good info on the urethane filler. About to install a Wavetrac LSD in mine, what diff are you using in yours?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #55
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Have you done this yet?

That has got to be one of the coolest DIY's I've seen. lol. I can see it now... honey seriously, who turned the oven off. I'm trying to cure my motor mounts.

This is definitely going on my list of projects!

You are full of good tips man, keep it up!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #56
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
Quote:
About to hit 99k

Good info on the urethane filler. About to install a Wavetrac LSD in mine, what diff are you using in yours?
Not running an aftermarket diff however after the new tune and powah I'm going to have to start that journey. I'm def not welding my diff. Too ghetto.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #57
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Have you done this yet?

That has got to be one of the coolest DIY's I've seen. lol. I can see it now... honey seriously, who turned the oven off. I'm trying to cure my motor mounts.

This is definitely going on my list of projects!

You are full of good tips man, keep it up!
Haha yeah my wife and her friends call 'em "science projects". Out there with the safety googles, Dremel and C clamps. 😂

Next step for high boost situation is reducing high boost crankcase pressure. This is what causes premature seal leakage on you OFHG, high oil consumption and other valve cover failures.

When you're pushing high boost 18-25psi you want to create negative crankcase pressure if you can.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vargas-t...-crank-breath/

This shows the benefits by using their catch can that vents to atmosphere but the idea is the same. You can do the same by replacing your oil cap with the VTT above
https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/quick...essure-part-1/

Look up other crankcase pressure reduction benefits for boosted engines.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #58
ziekxq
Major
Rep

I was thinking of getting this too and or coils. I wonder how long the filter on that VTT last? Is it washable?

I wonder if I should upgrade mounts on my auto trans... So far no issues with using launch control.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #59
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Haha yeah my wife and her friends call 'em "science projects". Out there with the safety googles, Dremel and C clamps. ��

Next step for high boost situation is reducing high boost crankcase pressure. This is what causes premature seal leakage on you OFHG, high oil consumption and other valve cover failures.

When you're pushing high boost 18-25psi you want to create negative crankcase pressure if you can.

This shows the benefits by using their catch can that vents to atmosphere but the idea is the same. You can do the same by replacing your oil cap with the VTT above

Hm, would this help with anything even if you're under 18?

Edit:

Welp, looks like it won't fit anyhow. A different seller stated that it won't fit on N55 engines for the 5 series due to hood clearance issues.

Last edited by Unspec; 01-28-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #60
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
Haha yeah my wife and her friends call 'em "science projects". Out there with the safety googles, Dremel and C clamps. ��

Hm, would this help with anything even if you're under 18?

Edit:

Welp, looks like it won't fit anyhow. A different seller stated that it won't fit on N55 engines for the 5 series due to hood clearance issues.
The reports I've seen for clearance issues have been with E/F 3 series.

And yes it will help even below 18psi. Studies on different research pages show somewhere between 1-3% power gain depending on your setup.

Here's $howtime456 insta page with one fitted on his 6 series N55
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #61
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
The reports I've seen for clearance issues have been with E/F 3 series.

And yes it will help even below 18psi. Studies on different research pages show somewhere between 1-3% power gain depending on your setup.

Here's $howtime456 insta page with one fitted on his 6 series N55
Hm, interesting. I might just give it ago. Only concern is the filter longevity/quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #62
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Hm, interesting. I might just give it ago. Only concern is the filter longevity/quality.
That is my concern too... I never had my valve cover gasket changed and I am at 113k miles now when it start leaking... That's being close to 1 year on PS2... Looks like this might be a necessary evil to have. I just hope the filter last at least 20k to 40k lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #63
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Those filters look like K&N washable style. I can't imagine you can't clean it. More really good info! Please stop with the suggestions my to-do list is getting way too long.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #64
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I'm getting that and updating my engine cover. Here's a sneak peak. The plastic needs to be conditioned but you get the idea. And the new filter cap. 🔥

Lo-key badging. Only I know
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #65
ziekxq
Major
Rep

I am getting the crankcase breather right now. I think it is a good idea. I am also going to upgrade to PR coils. Then summer for Helix OD.

Spool is coming out with intake design so let see when that gets released.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #66
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I am getting the crankcase breather right now. I think it is a good idea. I am also going to upgrade to PR coils. Then summer for Helix OD.

Spool is coming out with intake design so let see when that gets released.
BMS makes a vent to atmosphere catch can, but I don't think we need catch cans unless these VTT oil caps start spitting oil all over the place.

Appreciate 0