2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2013 535i Msport questions

09-25-2022, 07:43 AM   #1
mcshocks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i M Sport

2013 535i Msport questions

This will be my first BMW, coming from owning many American vehicles with V8’s & turbos, lol. Have a few questions.

- Transmission wise is there much to worry about reliability wise or a threshold of power where they seem to be problematic?

- Motor wise same question?

- The stock twin scroll turbo, how far power wise will this take a guy?

Car already has aluminum charge pipes & muffler delete.

Thinking off adding the following:
- BM3
- RVG high flow catted down pipe
- Wagner IC
- Intake? Will this really yield any performance?

Looking for input and direction & appreciate any info.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:25 AM   #2
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I'm a first time BMW owner as well (about 14 months now)
2015 535i MSport

Here are some insights to a few of your questions derived from my experience & research so far.

Transmission - you have a ZF which is regarded as one of the better trannys on the market. I'd highly recommend doing the manufacturer recommended service @~50k - 60k mile intervals (Filter/Pan replacement & fluid change). BMW identifies the transmission as a "lifetime fluid" so this preventative maintenence often gets neglected. Use Lifeguard8 oil and ensure the secondary fill process is adhered to in order to get the correct level (cycling thru all the gears while tranny is at temperature and the car is lifted, level, and running) This can be a bit tricky for a DIY. While you're at it, change the the mechtronic sleeve. It's cheap and a good PM item while you're there. Your stock torque is ~300 ft-lb; however, I've read where many others have pushed this much higher with minimal issues.

Engine - You have the N55. For a BMW, it's fairly reliable. Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) is the most notorious leak failure on this engine. Keep an eye on that one, as the oil can leak on to the serpentine belt. In some cases, the worn and degraded belt can actually be sucked past the crank seal (or at least pieces of it). They make an aftermarket Crank Seal Guard to prevent this from ever happening. On the coolant system, I'd recommend replacing the coolant hose flange with an aluminum one. Otherwise, I'd recommend just staying on top of PM items (belt, tensioner, coolant system components, plugs, coils, etc). The N55 has Direct Injection and there have been issues with injectors clogging and carbon build up.

Muffler Delete? I feel sorry for your neighbors.
I have the M Performance Exhaust and I absolutely LOVE the throaty sound it produces.

There's a ton of info out there re: mods so I'll keep my opinions short.
imho, I'd recommend you make sure all your fundamentals are sound before adding more stress. I.E. ALL fluids and filters changed (engine, tranny, coolant, brake, differential, transfer case) - Suspension, Engine Mounts, Plugs, Coils, Drivetrain "flex discs", etc.

That's my 2 Cents!

I absolutely LOVE my 535i. It has been one of the most enjoyable cars I've owned for a daily driver. I'm by no means the fastest off the line, but I can get from 70 mph to 110 mph in the blink of an eye - all the while maintaining comfort and style.

Enjoy your new ride and good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 09:46 PM   #3
F10-535
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535,335xi,cl55amg

I would deffinitely look into upgrading sway bars. My non m package had a rear sway bar the size of my pinky upgraded front and rear to m5 seaybars. Huge difference in highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

I am thinking about the factory m exhaust. The stock is quiet
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
I am thinking about the factory m exhaust. The stock is quiet
I'd highly recommend the M Performance Exhaust!

It has a deep, throaty, sound! For the most part, the sound is fairly subdued (especially in comfort mode), but does come to life when you put your foot down.

Exhaust sound is fairly subjective, so all depends upon what a person wants, I suppose, but BMW did a nice job with that option.

I got lucky on my BMW purchase as I didn't initially realize what I was getting.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
mcshocks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcarbonari View Post
I'm a first time BMW owner as well (about 14 months now)
2015 535i MSport

Here are some insights to a few of your questions derived from my experience & research so far.

Transmission - you have a ZF which is regarded as one of the better trannys on the market. I'd highly recommend doing the manufacturer recommended service @~50k - 60k mile intervals (Filter/Pan replacement & fluid change). BMW identifies the transmission as a "lifetime fluid" so this preventative maintenence often gets neglected. Use Lifeguard8 oil and ensure the secondary fill process is adhered to in order to get the correct level (cycling thru all the gears while tranny is at temperature and the car is lifted, level, and running) This can be a bit tricky for a DIY. While you're at it, change the the mechtronic sleeve. It's cheap and a good PM item while you're there. Your stock torque is ~300 ft-lb; however, I've read where many others have pushed this much higher with minimal issues.

Engine - You have the N55. For a BMW, it's fairly reliable. Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) is the most notorious leak failure on this engine. Keep an eye on that one, as the oil can leak on to the serpentine belt. In some cases, the worn and degraded belt can actually be sucked past the crank seal (or at least pieces of it). They make an aftermarket Crank Seal Guard to prevent this from ever happening. On the coolant system, I'd recommend replacing the coolant hose flange with an aluminum one. Otherwise, I'd recommend just staying on top of PM items (belt, tensioner, coolant system components, plugs, coils, etc). The N55 has Direct Injection and there have been issues with injectors clogging and carbon build up.

Muffler Delete? I feel sorry for your neighbors.
I have the M Performance Exhaust and I absolutely LOVE the throaty sound it produces.

There's a ton of info out there re: mods so I'll keep my opinions short.
imho, I'd recommend you make sure all your fundamentals are sound before adding more stress. I.E. ALL fluids and filters changed (engine, tranny, coolant, brake, differential, transfer case) - Suspension, Engine Mounts, Plugs, Coils, Drivetrain "flex discs", etc.

That's my 2 Cents!

I absolutely LOVE my 535i. It has been one of the most enjoyable cars I've owned for a daily driver. I'm by no means the fastest off the line, but I can get from 70 mph to 110 mph in the blink of an eye - all the while maintaining comfort and style.

Enjoy your new ride and good luck!
Thanks for the feedback, surprisingly the muffler delete is pretty dang quiet & sounds really good. Things a little slow for me & this is more of a commuter car so not sure how drastic I want to go with it. Got the vehicle on partial trade for my 1209whp drag truck.
Appreciate 0