2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What car wash supplies to buy?

10-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #1
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

What car wash supplies to buy?

I was looking at several of the Chemical Guys carwish kits but there are so many options its kind of overwhelming. I don't need anything crazy. Can anyone recommend a good kit to buy or point me in the right direction?

I was looking at this one but not sure if its overkill?

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...1-1-spons&th=1
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

That is a heck of a comprehensive kit for sure! Me? I love the simplicity of this. Diluted in a spray bottle, it lasts forever and does a great job. Spray on and wipe off with a good microfiber towel. My car is garaged and ceramic coated and I use this once or twice a week. It takes about 10 minutes to look brand new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #3
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've used CG Jet Seal and Butter Wet Wax pretty regularly for the last two years since I got them for free. They work pretty well. I've started doing maintenance washes with Griots Rinseless Wash and Wax diluted 1 oz to two and a half gallons and using a more concentrated spray bottle dilution as a drying aid. I like the Griots stuff a lot on top of the Jet Seal. I can take or leave the Butter Wet Wax, the good thing is it goes on easy and wipes down quickly. But lots of carnuba waxes can do that, I want to try Collonite 845 instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #4
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

CG is a marketing machine of labels colors and smells. That's not say they don't have some really good products.

Go onto Autogeek.com or detailedimage.com and watch for sales, especially AG regularly has 20 or 25% off

They will both have CG amd many many other brands. Griots is a great line and c845 an excellent wax/sealant.

I don't care for kits, I'd rather choose exactly what I want
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:52 AM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
1 bucket - any kind
1 microfiber wash mitt
1 bottle of cheapest car wash liquid
1 microfiber drying towel

All available at an auto parts store or Walmart near you.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      10-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #6
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
1 bucket - any kind
1 microfiber wash mitt

NO! That is a recipie for swirl marks

BARE MINIMUM to properly care for your car's finish when cleaning:

2 5 gal buckets (HD Lowes work great), ideally with grit guards. One for soapy water, one to rinse your mitt before reloading soap

Mf wash mitt ok, but personally prefer lambswool

Why cheapest on a bmw???? Get something with good lubricity: duragloss, meguiars gold class or Hyperwash, CG honeydew or Mr pink

And if you really want to have some fun, get a small power washer and a foam cannon. With this you need a foaming soap -- any of the last 3 I listed are good examples

Many drying towels. Best I have ever found is griots PFM. $ but worth it

Detailing spray (for touchups, birdbombs, dust) again megs, griots are excellent

Separate cleaning tools and towels for wheels

Wax or sealant (too many choices) foam applicators and at least 4-5 towels to remove. Here CG gold towels are great or edgeless from The Rag Company

Last edited by CarsAndGuitars; 10-02-2022 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 4
bmw1racer998.00
chassis6490.00
Red Bread4463.00
swanson733.00
      10-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
Quote:
1 bucket - any kind
1 microfiber wash mitt

2 5 gal buckets (HD Lowes work great), ideally with grit guards. One for soapy water, one to rinse your mitt before reloading soap

Why cheapest on a bmw???? Get something with good lubricity: duragloss, meguiars gold class or Hyperwash, CG honeydew or Mr pink

And if you really want to have some fun, get a small power washer and a foam cannon. With this you need a foaming soap -- any of the last 3 I listed are good examples

Detailing spray (for touchups, birdbombs, dust) again megs, griots are excellent

Wax or sealant (too many choices) foam applicators and at least 4-5 towels to remove. Here CG gold towels are great or edgeless from The Rag Company
This is why you wrap your whole car:-) Soap, sponge and shammy done. . Looks like it had a top tier detail every time
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #8
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
This is why you wrap your whole car:-) Soap, sponge and shammy done. . Looks like it had a top tier detail every time
How much of your MSRP is paint, even if white? $2000?, $4000? then spend another (minimum) $6K on a wrap. And if you get the slightest body damage that wrap has to be repaired or replaced, more $. So you are spending close to $10K in lieu of proper car care. If you've got those resources to avoid a little rewarding effort, God bless..
Appreciate 1
bmw1racer998.00
      10-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #9
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How much of your MSRP is paint, even if white? $2000?, $4000? then spend another (minimum) $6K on a wrap. And if you get the slightest body damage that wrap has to be repaired or replaced, more $. So you are spending close to $10K in lieu of proper car care. If you've got those resources to avoid a little rewarding effort, God bless..
Of course it has to be worth it to the individual. People spend 10k on wheels to. I'm anal. I like my cars looking like they just got cleaned. My time is more valuable doing other things than waxing, clay bar , compounding whatever. It prevents most rock chips and minor scratching. I think it's a must when buying an expensive car. Just my opinion. On the accident point. Shit happens. I'm not really going to be worried about a piece of wrap at that moment. Just add it to the claim I guess.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Of course it has to be worth it to the individual. People spend 10k on wheels to. I'm anal. I like my cars looking like they just got cleaned. My time is more valuable doing other things than waxing, clay bar , compounding whatever. It prevents most rock chips and minor scratching. I think it's a must when buying an expensive car. Just my opinion. On the accident point. Shit happens. I'm not really going to be worried about a piece of wrap at that moment. Just add it to the claim I guess.
I can respect that. Exterior car care is a rewarding labor of love and as an guy in my late 50s, simultaneously a good vigorous activity that gets many body parts moving all while preserving the beauty of my car. I find it to be a good, relaxing use of a few hours on the weekend.

Your last point is an interesting one that I would be curious to know (not that I would do it), but does car insurance cover aftermarket PPF, wraps etc? And do you have to have a rider on your policy as an add-on?
      10-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #11
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No swirl marks.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:08 AM   #12
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No swirl marks.
Did you ever look under a swirl light? Do you know what one is?
Appreciate 1
chassis6490.00
      10-02-2022, 11:10 AM   #13
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can respect that. Exterior car care is a rewarding labor of love and as an guy in my late 50s, simultaneously a good vigorous activity that gets many body parts moving all while preserving the beauty of my car. I find it to be a good, relaxing use of a few hours on the weekend.

Your last point is an interesting one that I would be curious to know (not that I would do it), but does car insurance cover aftermarket PPF, wraps etc? And do you have to have a rider on your policy as an add-on?
Ive heard as long as you have receipts, they will cover it. I can understand your point of a good workout. I respect that. Well stop reading the forum and go wax something:-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #14
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ive heard as long as you have receipts, they will cover it. I can understand your point of a good workout. I respect that. Well stop reading the forum and go wax something:-)
Yes! I just finished!!

1) My wash arsenal

2) Immediately after the foam cannon

3) Done
Attached Images

10-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #15
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you ever look under a swirl light? Do you know what one is?
No. Can you please explain?
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 12:28 PM   #16
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No. Can you please explain?
Glad to

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ht=swirl+light

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ht=swirl+light
      10-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #17
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Yes! I just finished!!

1) My wash arsenal

2) Immediately after the foam cannon

3) Done
I see Griot's in there

I got their Boss Foam Cannon last weekend at the garage sale ($20!), only to get home and realize I can't figure out how to fit it on my new Husqvarna pressure washer. D'oh. I think it's not doable, but more research is to come when I get time. in the meantime, I'm using a cheap leaky "foam cannon" I picked up somewhere along the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #18
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

a few buckets: one dedicated to wheels, one to rinse out your wash rag/mitt between dunks in the soap bucket and of course one for the soap wash.

A good hose nozzle (pressure washers and cannons for a different day) and it any metal or sharp pieces on the nozzle or hose end___wrap it in a rubbery tape.

High quality wash, wax(applicators and buffing and drying towels are important and multiple counts of each. I tend to buy these at Jay Leno's detailing site.

Forget about claying polishing and waxing a this time.

For a car wash soap there are lots I like but they will never include a wax component and I won't talk about strippers at this time. P21 car wash soap doesn't lather like a lot of other soaps I like but it is mild and I don't mind using it not wearing gloves - I tend to protect my hands from all the liquids and pastes due to their ingredients.

So after a really good rinse in the shade wash the car with rag/mitt and car wash soap and don't press or rub vigorously - let the product do the work and the mechanical action of the rag/mitt with the kindest of pressure.
Rinse well after each panel (start at top working down doing the dirtiest panels last and rinsing out rag/mitt in the rinse bucket often.
You may want to repeat the wash stage until your satisfied.

At this point I open trunk hood and doors and mist my drying towel with Lucas Oil Slick Mist and gently in a very linear fashion wipe dry the panels in a rather gentle fashion.

After completely drying I examine the paint for tar or bugs or any fallout that has soiled the paint. If there is a spot that needs taking care of I use P21 Gloss Enhancing Paint Work Cleaner moistened into my applicator or usually a microfiber rag and dab the spot soaking it with product - letting it dwell for a few and gently buffing away with a clean rag and repeat till clean.

As for the wheels. I will attack the wheels first. Before rinsing the car for it's wash I'll use a strong flow of water on the cool wheels. I'll often use a cheap car-wash soap on the wheels ( along with the dedicated bucket and rags ) wash the wheels with soap and later after doing the body I'll dry the wheels the same way as the body panels and with dedicated wheel drying towels.

When it's time to wax, I like a liquid wax - read the directions on the wax container because dried on wax - wax on the paint longer than required - needs a quick detailer or similar product to remove so as not to be too aggressive with the rag to paint interface .

I like the BMW liquid wax. Also like the size of the bottle. I like cleaning products that come in small containers for a couple of reasons...

Use dedicated automotive window cleaner. It's easy to smear windows and leave a dried haze of cleaner on them.

For the interior a blower vacuum combo. Blow out the interior toward the front wheel wells and vacuum. Also place a soft tape on the vacuums nozzle edges and don't drag vacuum hoses on the door sills.

When doing the wheels, at that time you may also want to use a rag and wash the wheel wells, feeling for pebbles in the fender lips.

Last edited by overcoil; 10-03-2022 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #19
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
a few buckets: one dedicated to wheels, one to rinse out your wash rag/mitt between dunks in the soap bucket and of course one for the soap wash.

A good hose nozzle (pressure washers and cannons for a different day) and it any metal or sharp pieces on the nozzle or hose end___wrap it in a rubbery tape.

High quality wash, wax(applicators and buffing and drying towels are important and multiple counts of each. I tend to buy these at Jay Leno's detailing site.

Forget about claying, polishing and waxing a this time.

For a car wash soap there are lots I like but they will never include a wax component and I won't talk about strippers at this time. P21 car wash soap doesn't lather like a lot of other soaps I like but it is mild and I don't mind using it not wearing gloves - I tend to protect my hands from all the liquids and pastes due to their ingredients.

So after a really good rinse in the shade wash the car with rag/mitt and car wash soap and don't press or rub vigorously - let the product do the work and the mechanical action of the rag/mitt with the kindest of pressure.
Rinse well aftre each panel (start at top working down doing the dirtiest panels last and rinsing out rag/mitt in the rinse bucket often.
You may want to repeat the wash stage until your satisfied.

At this point I open trunk, hood and doors and mist my drying towel with Lucas Oil Slick Mist and gently in a very linear fashion wipe dry the panels in a rather gentle fashion.

After completely drying I examine the paint for tar or bugs or any fallout that has soiled the paint. If there is a spot that needs taking care of I use P21 Gloss Enhancing Paint Work Cleaner moistened into my applicator or usually a microfiber rag and dab the spot soaking it with product - letting it dwell for a few and gently buffing away with a clean rag and repeat till clean.

As for the wheels. I will attack the wheels first. Before rinsing the car for it's wash, I'll use a strong flow of water on the cool wheels. I'll often use a cheap car-wash soap on the wheels ( along with the dedicated bucket and rags ) wash the wheels with soap and later after doing the body I'll dry the wheels the same way as the body panels and with dedicated wheel drying towels.

When it's time to wax, I like a liquid wax - read the directions on the wax container because dried on wax, wax on the paint longer than required needs a quick detailer or like to remove so your not aggressive with the rag to paint interface .

I like the BMW liquid wax. I also like the size of the bottle. I like cleaning products that come in small containers, for a couple of reasons...

Use dedicated automotive window cleaner. It's easy to smear windows and leave a dried haze of cleaner on them.

For the interior a blower vacuum combo. Blow out the interior toward the front wheel wells and vacuum. Also place a soft tape on the vacuums nozzle edges and don't drag vacuum hoses on the door sills.

When doing the wheels, at that time you may also want to use a rag and wash the wheel wells, feeling for pebbles in the fender lips.
Use news paper for ALL glass cleaning. Works flawlessly
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #20
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is a > 30-40 year old tip but paper and ink not what it was.
Appreciate 1
Joachim328.00
      10-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #21
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

How does this list look to start out?

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?ref_=wl_share
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #22
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is a > 30-40 year old tip but paper and ink not what it was.
I still use it. Just did my work truck with no issues. Yes, my dad gave me that tip 20 years ago. Lol
Appreciate 1
Almuliman465.50