2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Looking for some UPGRADE ideas on my 550i flood victim project.

10-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 E92

Looking for some UPGRADE ideas on my 550i flood victim project.

So since im tearing most of this car apart, what are some things I should upgrade or customize while im doing it?

For those who havent seen the posts, I have a 2016 BMW 550i, 4.4 turbo that was in a pond for 30 - 40 minutes.

I am new to the F10 platform overall, so open to any and all ideas.

I'll post my original video so you can see what im starting with. thanks

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

If you're going to rip the head unit apart, look into a NBT EVO upgrade for apply carplay, or if you're an android guy, a MMI unit for AA.

Coilovers to help remove the boatiness of the car

Upgraded intercooler if you want to push more power + BM3 for the tune

Exhaust? Downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
You can get a euro NBT Evo unit for about $500 and add it into your car easily over pre-LCI cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
If you're going to rip the head unit apart, look into a NBT EVO upgrade for apply carplay, or if you're an android guy, a MMI unit for AA.

Coilovers to help remove the boatiness of the car

Upgraded intercooler if you want to push more power + BM3 for the tune

Exhaust? Downpipes?
Im going to look into the head unit for sure, Ive taken my head unit apart completely today and its toast. Is MMi a full replacement?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iNavyGuy View Post
Im going to look into the head unit for sure, Ive taken my head unit apart completely today and its toast. Is MMi a full replacement?
You will either need a cheap NBT Next replacement or an upgraded NBT Evo unit. The MMI is an add on to a factory navigation system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-BMW-328I...cAAOSwfJJeRBtx

I would go and get Esys and ISTA working to see what modules are working before I start blindly replacing anything else. If you need any help I can probably find a time to remote in.

Update: Just watched the video. Send me your vin and I can probably find a cheap compatible ICM module. I also agree getting a new cluster is a smart move. Here is one for $65: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer...temCondition=4

Last edited by Nickco43; 10-26-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
You will either need a cheap NBT Next replacement or an upgraded NBT Evo unit. The MMI is an add on to a factory navigation system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-BMW-328I...cAAOSwfJJeRBtx

I would go and get Esys and ISTA working to see what modules are working before I start blindly replacing anything else. If you need any help I can probably find a time to remote in.
That is extremely appreciated, So far ive been cleaning and putting back any modules where I cannot see any obvious board faults. So far ive only seen two modules that I am 100% sure they are bad.

And im sure I will need some help with ISTA.

Quick question, If i can use ISTA to code a new radio, how important is it that the Numbers match on the replacement unit?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iNavyGuy View Post
That is extremely appreciated, So far ive been cleaning and putting back any modules where I cannot see any obvious board faults. So far ive only seen two modules that I am 100% sure they are bad.

And im sure I will need some help with ISTA.

Quick question, If i can use ISTA to code a new radio, how important is it that the Numbers match on the replacement unit?
For some modules like the radio you will need FSC activation codes to enable some of the features like the navigation, voice control, BMW Apps etc. If you give me your VIN I can ask a few people if they can generate these codes for you. Most times a repair kit is about $100. The part numbers on pretty much any module do not need to match. The only thing I would worry about is the telematics module. DO NOT PLUG AN UNCODED RADIO INTO THE CAR WITH THE TELEMATICS MODULE PLUGGED IN! You will permanently brick the telematics module. The VIN from the radio and the telematics module need to match or the telematics module will send a brick signal to BMW's servers and blacklist the car from connected services. The telematics module is located on the rear drivers wheel side wheel well near the amp. If your telematics module is bad you will either need to delete telematics from the car or retrofit a "matched pair" into the car with an emulator.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
For some modules like the radio you will need FSC activation codes to enable some of the features like the navigation, voice control, BMW Apps etc. If you give me your VIN I can ask a few people if they can generate these codes for you. Most times a repair kit is about $100. The part numbers on pretty much any module do not need to match. The only thing I would worry about is the telematics module. DO NOT PLUG AN UNCODED RADIO INTO THE CAR WITH THE TELEMATICS MODULE PLUGGED IN! You will permanently brick the telematics module. The VIN from the radio and the telematics module need to match or the telematics module will send a brick signal to BMW's servers and blacklist the car from connected services. The telematics module is located on the rear drivers wheel side wheel well near the amp. If your telematics module is bad you will either need to delete telematics from the car or retrofit a "matched pair" into the car with an emulator.
What are the down sides to deleting it? Anything i dont have to replace is a plus, I plan to get Android play in the car, so i dont care about any BMW apps, i will be using my phone for maps and all audio applications. So the best way to do that would work
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What are the chances you got a few minutes for a phone call? lol, pm me if ya do
Appreciate 0