2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) BMW Team RLL is ready to defend its GT class lead at the ALMS at Long Beach Race

04-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Team RLL is ready to defend its GT class lead at the ALMS at Long Beach Race

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Team RLL is ready to defend its GT class lead at the ALMS at Long Beach Race
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwalmslongbeach.jpg
Views: 5559
Size:  162.4 KB

Press Release

Woodcliff Lake , N.J. – April 11, 2011… The contrast of racing the 12 Hours of Sebring to racing in the streets of Long Beach, California could not be greater, but BMW Team RLL is looking for a similar outcome – a 1-2 BMW finish in the American Le Mans Series GT class.

In the four weeks since the success at Sebring, the team has been preparing for a race only two hours long with increased attention to maximizing the application of the M3 GT’s V8 power to the rear Dunlop tires. Quick acceleration out of the tight temporary street circuit corners is critical to fast lap times at Long Beach – especially exiting the hairpin turn that leads onto the longest straight. Both cars will be aerodynamically trimmed to maximize downforce.

Last season the race at Long Beach produced a third consecutive podium finish for the team. With the 1-2 finish at Sebring, BMW Team RLL enters Long Beach in the lead of every ALMS GT championship category.

"We could not have asked for a better result in Sebring…but that was just the first round of a long fight for the championship," said Bobby Rahal, Team Principal. "I think the win definitely helped our confidence and at the same time, it also put the target on our back, so we will need to keep improving every week if we want to be in the hunt at the end."

Bill Auberlen, driver No. 55 M3 GT - “Long Beach is my home track. I've been all over the victory podium, but never on the top spot. I believe this is our year. We have the car, the team and the tire to win it.”

Dirk Werner, driver No. 55 M3 GT - “A street circuit is always a challenge and experience is quite valuable. You don’t have a lot of practice time to feel comfortable and to set up the car. This will be only the second time I’ve raced at Long Beach, but with Bill being my teammate, I’m sure I’ll get some valuable information how to race in his “living room”.

Joey Hand, driver No. 56 M3 GT - “Long Beach is great fun! The tight corners and big field makes it a street fight! My momentum could not be better with my two biggest career wins leading me into this race. BMW Team RLL is making a big push for Long Beach. Our focus is on the championships and we want to win each race.”

Dirk Mueller, driver No. 56 M3 GT - “I am very excited about Long Beach. It has been always a very special event for me. I do very much like street circuits and especially Long Beach. I know that after our fantastic result in Sebring the whole team will be highly motivated again to repeat this great success.”

Practice and qualifying for the American Le Mans Series at Long Beach will be held on Friday, April 15 with the two-hour race scheduled to take the green flag at 4:30 p.m. PT Saturday, April 16. The race will be broadcast live on ESPN3.com and rebroadcast on EPPN2 from 5 – 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 17.

About BMW Team RLL:
BMW Group In America

BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, a strategic design consultancy in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group’s global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all X5 and X3 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 Sports Activity Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 138 BMW motorcycle retailers, 105 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing

BMW’s partner, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, based in Hilliard, Ohio and co-owned by three-time IndyCar Champion and 1986 Indianapolis 500 winner Bobby Rahal , Mi-Jack co-owner Mike Lanigan and CBS LATE SHOW host David Letterman, has been competing for nearly two decades, compiling 22 victories, 31 poles and two series championships (1992, 2010) as well as claiming an Indianapolis 500 victory (Buddy Rice in 2004). In 2009 the team joined BMW of North America to campaign the new BMW M3 in the American Le Mans Series, and in 2010 won both the Manufacturer and Team Championships in the GT category.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Right on!
      04-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

And I will be there watching qualifyings live on my bday on friday
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
And I will be there watching qualifyings live on my bday on friday
I was about to say the exact same thing...except I'll be watching on my tv

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Go!
      04-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
e92LuNaTiC
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e92

Woo!! I recently moved to Downtown Long Beach. Gonna walk over and check out the races Friday, Saturday and Sunday!
      04-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Definitely going to be streaming this on saturday