2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Resealing Oil Pan: Loctite 5970 or Gasket?

01-14-2023, 08:00 AM   #1
HotSpicyChicken90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Resealing Oil Pan: Loctite 5970 or Gasket?

Hello folks,

Long story short, I would like to reseal the oil pan on my 535i xDrive (with Dynamic Drive). I know that BMW specify that the gasket should be installed "dry", i.e. without any additional sealant. But I'm afraid that if I go this way, it will leak again in the future.

My intention is to apply JUST the RTV (Loctite 5970). Have any of you ever tried it this way?

Before I buy the parts, I would like to know from you if it is better to replace the traditional gasket with the OEM sealant "Loctite 5970", especially since the successor of the engine, the B58, does not have a gasket anymore. The oil pan of this engine is sealed with this sealant (sealing bead between 2.0 mm and 2.5 mm).

I thought about this because I think that the traditional gasket can be installed more quickly in the event of repairs than waiting until the sealant is ready... That's why I suspect BMW uses a gasket instead of a liquid sealant.

And besides, I think that if the OEM gasket would have been the "ultimate" solution, then it wouldn't have been leaking in the first place, would it?

Should I also change the connecting rod bearings at the same time? The engine has 155,000 km on it and runs very well. No noises or anything else....

I am grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

Last edited by HotSpicyChicken90; 01-14-2023 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:02 AM   #2
Xspeedracer
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [10.00]
I have installed a couple of the pans on both 3 and 5 series cars with the gasket I think it’s a better solution to just the RTV just make sure you clean everything very well you will be drooping the subframe a fair amount to clear the oil pickup always check it for any debris
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have done it with RTV along with metal bolts. That car have over 100K miles and it hasn’t leak. I switched to metal bolts because OEM bolts are aluminum one time use bolts. Metal bolts are stronger and can be reused if the pan have to come out in the future.
Appreciate 1