2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum ** 5 Series GT5 aka PAS Photos/Media/Video Information Thread **

02-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
** 5 Series GT5 aka PAS Photos/Media/Video Information Thread **

Details we know:

Quote:
Dr. Klaus Draeger explains the 5-Series GT.

This new Progressive Acitivity Sedan Concept will be launched end of this year and rumor is it will cost less than the 7 Series even though it is in same size.

Some of the vehicle highlights:
* Wheelbase: 3070mm (same as on the new 7 Series)
* Length: 4998mm (7cm shorter than the 7 Series)
* Height: 1555mm
* 5-Series GT is a four seater with indivudually adjustable seats. Rear seats are separated by a center console.
* Trunk volume is 1650 liters (for comparison E61 5-Series Wagon has 1615 liters)
* Frameless doors
* Eight-speed automatic gearbox
Video of the actual unveiling event for the car ==> http://www.thomson-webcast.net/de/di...ng/?bmw_090213

BMW's Official Website on the car ==> http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/c...2/content.html

................... ^^ Press the small PLAY button!

BMW GT5 PAS High Resolution Animated Video (.MOV Format) : 50Mb

BMW GT5 PAS High Resolution Animated Video (.WMV Format) : 50Mb

Message from the BMW Board of Directors (.MOV Format) : 77Mb

Message from the BMW Board of Directors (.WMV Format) : 40Mb
      02-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Wallpapers!

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version
      02-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Now that the GT/PAS is now revealed BMW can take the body cladding off the test cars whch are undergoing their final testing phase.

Here is one in what looks to be space gray with some more production ready wheels then what the concept is wearing, so we can get a better idea of what the real car sold at dealerships would look like. I like it ALOT better in the space gray color!!
Attached Images

02-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Finally a "minivan" that won't get me laughed at
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Too bad the production cars don't receive that intricate mesh or those crazy wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Steve325xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 325xi

ugh

This thing is a joke. Another in a long line of jokes from a company I used to love. I can't think of a single BMW I'd want to own based on design other than the new Z4.

1 series is dorky, 3 sedan is awful, 3 coupe looks like an older Accord, X3 is fugly, X5 looks like it melted, X6 is impractical, 6 series is awful, 5 series is awful, new 7 is awful.

Of course, I shouldn't expect much from a design chief with hair that bad (Van Hooydonk).

My e46 has 183,000 miles. I may have to keep it for another 183k. Maybe by then BMW's board will have come to their senses.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]

WHO is gonna buy this in this climate??? I mean if it looked good. MAY BE. But it looks like some kinda of Honda-Prius on steroids, seriously. The outline... ah.. BMW, I mean the details are pretty, like the wheels, the face, the back but put i tall together and it's a mess. Even X6 seems OK after this one. Damn.

Make small sexy sedans that are sporty, with 2l turbo engines. that's a BMW that can survive in this world.
      02-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
DirrtysAnchez335i
BeAsT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 bmw 335i

i like it.....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

I dont know about the whole idea of the car being a wagon type thing, But I must say
I love how the Front end came out, Not so much the Rear. I love the Front Head lights
and those Nice big Kidney Grills, Looks Really Nice. The Front end of this Car is basically
going to be the next 5er and I must say its gonna look very nice!!!!

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve325xi View Post
This thing is a joke. Another in a long line of jokes from a company I used to love.
1 series is dorky, 3 sedan is awful, 3 coupe looks like an older Accord, X3 is fugly, X5 looks like it melted, X6 is impractical, 6 series is awful, 5 series is awful, new 7 is awful.
pleaseee......S.T.F.U.

now ON TOPIC:
Jackpot BMW!....congratulations and only one question why wait till november?..too long in my opinion....

the most influenced CS car thus far....it reminds me of CS alot....

I like the size....this actually is a 7er meets Xsexer.....

finally a brand new car from BMW....only a supercar now left....
      02-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

in yellow...

a bit more fat here and there
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
chanceparker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
PAS

Sorry, I'm sure it will be a nice car and some of the individual pieces are nice, but it looks like the answer to a question nobody is answering to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

WTF is this ??? i swear this F generation BMW's are gonna go down in history as the ugliest cars BMW has EVER made or simply " BMW What the FUCK where you thinking " go get some audi designers maybe they can teach you a thing or two, fuck i seriously want to slap the shit out of that person who ORIGINALLY came up with the idea of creating this car.

F generations so far stand for : FUGLY !!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

Did anyone notice that BMW is marketing this car as more of a utilitarian vehicle (hence the need for that large trunk) but the rear doesn't have 3 person seating! only 2 bucket seats in the back. That kind of kills the utilitarian part of the car. That one tidbit didn't make any sense to me, but maybee the rear seating arrangement is a concept car only thing
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Did anyone notice that BMW is marketing this car as more of a utilitarian vehicle (hence the need for that large trunk) but the rear doesn't have 3 person seating! only 2 bucket seats in the back. That kind of kills the utilitarian part of the car. That one tidbit didn't make any sense to me, but maybee the rear seating arrangement is a concept car only thing
I noticed that too, and didn't come to the clever conclusion that you've come up with. To be honest though, although I don't agree with someone's comments above saying this is the worst car BMW has ever made and that all of the current BMWs are horrible, I really don't get the point of this car.

Even if it did seat 5 people, it would still be pointless. It is generally similar size to the F01 7er, same number of passengers (again assuming its a 5-seater in the production version), and probably around the same weight as the 7er, and I read it would cost slightly less than the 7er.

With all that in mind, it will probably be run by the same engine as the X6/7er. Now why wouldn't you just buy a X5 instead? Same size, weight, engine, fuel consumption and environmental effects (one of the reasons why BMW said they are considering this car). It will probably give a better drive than the X5 since its slightly less SAV, but I'm going to guess that people who are in the market for something LIKE the X5 or similar are either buying it for the looks, size (and utility), or just because they like bigger cars. Someone wanting a X5 most likely (yes there are exceptions) won't be looking for the best-handling car. (Best handling in class, yes, but not ultimate sports handling). Having said that (if my opinion is correct, and yes I understand this is simply just an opinion), I believe the X5 is a good enough option that BMW should not (and shouldn't have) see(n) the need, in the current economy, to invest in R&D, production, and marketing for this car.

I don't think the market for this car is large enough for BMW to see a need to run into it in a potentially risky economic environment, but that's just my opinion...

Sorry for long post.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #16
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

...Fail

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #17
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonsazkin View Post
I mean seriously, what's next? A convertible SAV? "For people who like to go off-roading, but also want to be further exposed to the environmental elements..." And BMW can call it the new KISS (Kovertible Interactive Sports SUV).
LMAO. I wouldn't be surprised to see that haha!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:39 AM   #18
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

But then again, it seems like these days you slap a BMW badge on anything, and it will sell well. I'm not suggesting BMW cars are not good; I truly believe BMW OVERALL makes the best cars in the world. But consider the X6; when it was announced, everyone said it was practical and useless, and yet I see so many of them in Toronto. Not as many as X5s of course, but more than expected. So you never know, perhaps this will somehow attract some new customer base to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #19
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

dont u get it...this car is just what they need...it will sell great in europe and the states...something BMW never had before...pointless now but only time will tell....look at benz..they got everything and they are successful...u just have to do this kind of thing these days....if u wanna be on top....look at panamera..rapide...estoque.....cayenne diesel...q7 v12 tdi who the hell needs that...but hey it WILL sell great!
      02-14-2009, 05:09 AM   #20
Aspe
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Hey folks,
first post on bimmerpost
I read and follow this forum for quite a while now, since I am also a huge BMW fan or addict.

I just want to state my 2cents about the ne 5er GT:
Like it or not, the current automotive industry is definied by niches through and trough. Best example is Mercedes, who realized that trend early, created a system of shared plattforms and sells its cars with higher rate of returns than BMW does.

Of course BMW is the(!) maker of sporty saloons. And I had a hard time lat year accepting that BMW would release a car like the X6. "Fucking pointless", was my opinion back than. And I still think it is, BUT after a test drive I realized: "Hey that unneccesary car rides quite well and sport - not bad for 2 tons of luxury". Plus it looks sexy.

But back to the 5er GT:
BMW wants to fill another niche with that car. The niche is: Offering space, room and comfort but not in a utility or something with the image of a station wagon. So the combinied a station wagon (the trunk and variability) with the space and comfort of a huge sedan like the 7 series.
So why does it have just 4 seats? It doesn't.
In the german Webspecial ( http://www.bmw.de/de/de/insights/con...2/content.html ), when it comes to the rear seats in the interior it says: "Auf Wunsch für vier oder fünf Personen" => Optionally for four or five passengers
And by the way the (overpriced) Porsche Panamera is a four seater all the time and ugly as shit.

So I think the 5er GT fills a niche that is hard to see now, but will make sense (if you like it not ) as soon as the car is being released. Because you never had the space and luxury and most important the style of a huge sedian like 7 Series with the variability of a station wagon.
I suppose it also offers the comfort/sport mode suspension settings like the 7 series and the rear wheel steering, so it will also perfom well. Especially with a biturbo charged inline six cylinder.

If it sells depends on the price. It should be definetly less than the Panamera S (which starts at 95.000€ ), a bit more than a 5 Series Station Wagon but much less than a 7 Series. Probably around ~60.000€ similar to the X6.

Aspe
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Looks interesting!

I actually quite like it. (In fact for those people who doesn't like the X6 - the more I look at it the more I am thinking about getting the X6 instead, E90:E92 = X5:X6).

It's really suited to the 2+2 children - individual screen at the back - perfect for growing teenagers. Your wife doesn't have to complain about not able to close the trunk because it's too tall. Your mother won't complain she can't climb in your car because it's too tall or too low. As mentioned, the back seats can have a 3 seats arrangement. I would probably see it replace the 5 series touring. The 7s usually way too long and large and audacious for many people. To me - a perfect family car.

Looks wise... well, the front looks great.. and the rest - umm.... we'll get used to it.

In summary - for someone who wants something more spacious than the 5, but not visually as big as a X5, and more practical than a X6. In fact, as someone has mentioned it... may be not a convertible - put how about a targa roof?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #22
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
[QUOTE=godora;4481271]WTF is this ??? i swear this F generation BMW's are gonna go down in history as the ugliest cars BMW has EVER made or simply " /QUOTE]

Same has been said about Bangle era cars, though we all learned to like (AND BOUGHT) the new 3, new 5, new 1, and especially the Z4 (best bangle car imho) and even the old 7 grown on many just to how brutal and special that car is and how much presence on the road it got.

I think though that BMW is doing models noone really wants to buy unless they have too much money - sadly with no more cheap credit around, you just can't have that many of those people anymore.