2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Positive Changes for 2014

08-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Positive Changes for 2014

Positive Changes for 2014
Improved Navigation
M Sport Steering Wheel- yes, I know some disagree
More LED's
Diesel available
More horsepower for 550
Navigation "no cost option"
Nappa leather "no cost option"- with Line selection
Mocha Nappa- handsome new choice
Amaro Brown Extended Merino Leather- handsome new choice, but expensive
Improved front- I'm sure I'll have disagreement
Improved back- more disagreement
8 more GB storage in hard drive
Side Bolsters added for Multiple-Contour Seats Option
Cut/Paste from a blog below. I hope this is true- my favorite positive change:

All of the 5-Series models get BMW's Driving Dynamics Control,

This was a $1000 option for 2013 and not offered for 2014- SO, maybe the blogger is correct.

2014 BMW 5-Series - Performance Review
Get email updates
Interested in purchasing?Get a Quick Quote

2014 BMW 5-Series Photos
21 Photos
8.6TCC RATING
?
BASE
INVOICE
$45,540
BASE
MSRP
$49,500

On Performance
The level of onboard technology could seem overwhelming to some enthusiasts, yet the 2014 BMW 5-Series is still responsive and athletic.

By Bengt Halvorson Bengt Halvorson
June 5, 2013
Overall Review » 8.6
Interior / Exterior » 8
Performance »8
Quality » 8
Safety » 10
Features » 9
Fuel Economy / MPG » 7

Looking at the features and options for the 2014 BMW 5-Series might be cause for concern: With so many performance-related technologies acting on the steering and suspension, how can they all keep the driving enjoyment intact, right?

Yet with some driving time on a curvy, dynamically demanding road, we think you'll agree that the driving experience feels remarkably connected and direct, and the turbocharged engines that BMW has introduced to the lineup the past several model years are every bit as responsive as their predecessors, if not more so.

Engine offerings have changed dramatically for the entire BMW lineup over the past several years, and the 5-Series is at the heart of it. Go with the base 528i and you get a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, making 240 horsepower and 260 pound-feet. If you don't mind a slightly more agricultural four-cylinder sound in place of the sonorous six, the base 528i does the job well, too—and much more frugally—while feeling considerably stronger in most situations compared to the base, naturally aspirated six that had previously been used in the 528i; its peak torque is reached at just 1,250 rpm, and the excellent eight-speed automatic transmission makes the most of it, responding quickly when needed.

In 535i models, the 3.0-liter turbocharged six makes 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft, while a new twin-turbocharged V-8 in the 550i makes 445 hp and 480 lb-ft. The 0-60 mph sprint in V-8 model is said to take just 4.5 seconds, which isn’t far off the pace of the M5.

The 2014 BMW M5, meanwhile, still makes 560 horsepower, though it’s now available with a Competition Package that lifts output to a heady 575 horsepower. It’s available with either a six-speed manual or seven-speed M-DCT dual-clutch transmission.

The ActiveHybrid5, with a 300-hp turbocharged six-cylinder engine plus a 54-hp electric-motor system and 1.3-kWh lithium-ion battery pack, remains a strong-performing option for those who want to put give their conspicuous consumption a hall pass. It delivers its power through the eight-speed automatic transmission, and can get to 60 mph in about 5.5 seconds (which is about as quick as the 535i).

As for the diesel engine, it’s a turbocharged 3.0-liter straight-six and will be appearing in a 535d sedan only. Estimated performance from this engine is 255 horsepower and 413 pound-feet of torque, the latter of which is said to be available from just 1,500 revs.

Manuals tend to be very limited in this class; but driving enthusiasts will find it noteworthy that most of the 5-Series models (except for the ActiveHybrid5, 535d, and xDrive all-wheel-drive versions) can be had with a manual gearbox.

All of the 5-Series models get BMW's Driving Dynamics Control, which helps the 5-Series fit your need, whether that's taking on a canyon road or bringing the kids to school. This year BMW has added Eco Pro to the existing Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ settings. The system affects throttle response, steering assist, and transmission shift points, as well as the performance of the active suspension systems, so you can truly dial in a particular performance attitude--including Sport+, which is configured especially for track-driving enthusiasts.

Despite all the onboard electronics and sensors, BMW keeps it real—or at least feeling that way. The electric power steering in the new BMW 5-Series is the best you’ll find in a sedan its size; it has a great, natural sensation on center and plenty of road feel in tight corners. Add BMW’s Integral Active Steering, which steers the rear wheels slightly in the opposite direction below about 35 mph, or in the same direction at higher speeds, to either help enhance stability or aid parking, and you end up with an even more nimble, tossable car--although some think that you sacrifice some of the natural steering

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 08-25-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
From BMW website:

Sedan: New contour lines for the surround of the BMW kidney grille, redesigned lower air intakes, and extra crease in the apron
Sedan: Slimmer, sharply contoured rear lights.
GT: modified front apron and redesigned rear end
GT: three-dimensional surface design for the area around the license plate holder and a chrome strip in the rear apron
Xenon Adaptive headlights standard on all 5 Series models, while
Adaptive LED Headlights optional
Side indicator lights are integrated into the exterior mirrors
New exterior paint colors, light-alloy wheels for all BMW 5 Series models

Interior / iDrive:
Navigation screen now bordered in the Sedan by chrome trim.
Storage compartments and cup holders in center console have increased capacity.
Increased luggage capacity for Gran Turismo by 2.1 cu-ft to 17.7 cu-ft (European figures, preliminary).
New upholstery colors and interior trim elements for all BMW 5 Series models
Newly-standard iDrive4.2 Navigation system with Advanced Real Time Traffic Information.
New iDrive rotary controller with an integrated touchpad allows the input of characters for destinations, phone numbers, and other functions within the iDrive4.2 operating system (For example, a destination can be programmed into the Navigation system by spelling out the desired address using finger movements on the touchpad surface.)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

All 2013 BMW F10 5-series in the USA came standard with Driving Dynamics Control. The $1,000 option you're speaking of is Dynamic Damper Control. Which allowed you to adjust the shock absorber firmness as softer (Comfort+) or firmer (Sport,Sport+).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
All 2013 BMW F10 5-series in the USA came standard with Driving Dynamics Control. The $1,000 option you're speaking of is Dynamic Damper Control. Which allowed you to adjust the shock absorber firmness as softer (Comfort+) or firmer (Sport,Sport+).
Thanks!

Driving Dynamics Control
Dynamic Damping Control
Dynamic Stability Control
Dynamic Traction Control

I guess the Germans enjoy confusing it's customers

Th author incorrectly states that the first DDC:

"Affects the performance of the active suspension systems"

All of the 5-Series models get BMW's Driving Dynamics Control, which helps the 5-Series fit your need, whether that's taking on a canyon road or bringing the kids to school. This year BMW has added Eco Pro to the existing Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ settings. The system affects throttle response, steering assist, and transmission shift points, as well as the performance of the active suspension systems, so you can truly dial in a particular performance attitude--including Sport+, which is configured especially for track-driving enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
This has been confirmed. From a 2014 5 Series online brochure:

Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System with vehicle-specific equalizing and powerful 600-watt amplifier; the 16-speaker system includes 6 tweeters,
4 midrange speakers located in the door panels and 2 midrange speakers located under the rear shelf space, 2 bass speakers located under the front seats, 1 midrange center channel speaker and 1 tweeter located in the instrument cluster (not available
with Bang & Olufsen® High-End Surround Sound System).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
More positive changes:

Siri 'Eyes Free' Coming to 2014 BMW Models
Friday June 7, 2013 6:26 am PDT by Husain Sumra
BMW has announced that Siri "Eyes Free" mode will be coming to all of its 2014 models in a new update to its ConnectedDrive Internet service, allowing iPhone users to interact with Siri in their BMWs without looking at their devices.
With the latest update to BMW iDrive, both Apple Siri and Samsung SVoice can be accessed through the vehicle's voice command controls. With a paired device, pressing and holding the steering wheel voice command button will engage the device's voice access. Pressing the steering wheel voice button without holding it will continue to access the vehicle's voice command functions.

Previously, BMW had announced iOS app partnerships with Audible, TuneIn, Rhapsody and more. Last June, Apple announced that it was working on a new "Eyes Free" mode for Siri with car manufacturers. When it was announced at WWDC last year, Scott Forstall displayed a slide showing that Apple was working with BMW, Mercedes, GM, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda on the initiative.

Last November, Chevy announced that it was bringing "Eyes Free" mode to some of its car models while earlier this year Honda and Acura announced that it was coming to some of their models as well. Unlike those manufacturers, BMW is bringing "Eyes Free" mode to all of its 2014 car models and beyond.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
BBCalif
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550i

2014 550i vs. 2013 550i

Wondering if it's worth paying more for new 2014 than a new 2013 550i? Is the new model actually better or purely cosmetic? Thanks for insights ...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCalif View Post
Wondering if it's worth paying more for new 2014 than a new 2013 550i? Is the new model actually better or purely cosmetic? Thanks for insights ...
That's a decision you have to make after taking some test drives. The 550 is a rocket ship and if you crave speed and power that may be your pick. For me, the 4 cylinder version has all the speed and power I need- any more and I'd be getting a bunch of speeding tickets. Additionally, I care about good MPG and on the highway the 528 gets mid 30's- this makes me feel good. Also, I like to buy my cars loaded with all the technology and a loaded 550 would cost crazy money in my opinion- much more than I can justify spending.
Appreciate 0