2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Lets build an LCI MSport wheel and retrofit it!

09-20-2017, 03:31 AM   #23
idog
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
I don't recall where I placed them, its been way too long, but I deduced correct placement by looking at the circuit and metering it out. I'd encourage you to do the same, or but the correct paddles if you can't.
Yeah, I'm measuring right now, but your F10 readings weren't the same as the F10 paddles I have here, the ones I have here are paddles from an F10 535i.

The -paddle

Off : 5.3kohm
On : 1.283kohm

The +paddle did match : 5.3kohm off and 2.297kohm on.

Anyway, I read your message wrong the first time. You said you were going to source SMD resistors in the right values. I read that as - get the same resistors that are now on the F10 paddles. Of course, you meant getting resistors to achieve the same off/on values as the F10 paddles are measuring. My bad. Now ordered again. It's a good thing these smd's are cheap

Edit : I stand corrected. Your measurements were on point. I'm an ass and measured the testpoints instead of the cable. Hence my bad reading for the - paddle. They work ! So thank you !

Last edited by idog; 09-21-2017 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: I'm an ass
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:45 AM   #24
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by idog View Post
Yeah, I'm measuring right now, but your F10 readings weren't the same as the F10 paddles I have here, the ones I have here are paddles from an F10 535i.

The -paddle

Off : 5.3kohm
On : 1.283kohm

The +paddle did match : 5.3kohm off and 2.297kohm on.

Anyway, I read your message wrong the first time. You said you were going to source SMD resistors in the right values. I read that as - get the same resistors that are now on the F10 paddles. Of course, you meant getting resistors to achieve the same off/on values as the F10 paddles are measuring. My bad. Now ordered again. It's a good thing these smd's are cheap

Edit : I stand corrected. Your measurements were on point. I'm an ass and measured the testpoints instead of the cable. Hence my bad reading for the - paddle. They work ! So thank you !
Hello mate. Getting a bit lost with the resistors here. Can you confirm what resistors you used and that they were soldered in place as you showed in your previous picture? Did you use the same resistors as shown on the original f10 paddles or did you use resistors of a different value?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep

In case anyone else stumbles across this thread trying to retrofit F30 paddles on an F10 I thought I’d clear up what resistors go where. The down paddle requires removing both resistors and placing a 1.691k ohm resistor on the bottom pad where the 348ohm resistor was. The up paddle needs both resistors removed and replaced with a 2.2k ohm and 3k ohm resistor.

The readings on a multimeter will match for the down paddle but will differ on the up paddle.

Expect 5.18kohm not pressed and 2.192kohm pressed.
The F10 paddles read 5.361kohm not pressed and 2.297kohm pressed. It’s a negligible difference and doesn’t affect the operation. Thanks to my dad for his help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #26
thuzithanwn
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F10 520d Auto Sedan

Fitment of a F30 M Sport Steering wheel to a F10

Hey guys,

Idk if this is a foolish question. But I'll go ahead. While skimming through the used LCI version M sport steering wheels on eBay I came across that F30 version M Sport steering wheel is much cheaper than the F10 version. Is it possible to retrofit the F30 m sport steering wheel to a F10?

It looks the same but don't know whether it's retrofittable. F30 versions are pretty cheaper. Have a look @ this one.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #27
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Here are the two wheels next to one another

[/QUOTE]
Maybe a stupid question, but I have an 01/14 build 535 with that pre-lci wheel you have posted(mine isnt an msport) but I had the other wheel in my 15 X5. When did they change wheels on the F10?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #28
DayvG
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuzithanwn View Post
Hey guys,

Idk if this is a foolish question. But I'll go ahead. While skimming through the used LCI version M sport steering wheels on eBay I came across that F30 version M Sport steering wheel is much cheaper than the F10 version. Is it possible to retrofit the F30 m sport steering wheel to a F10?

It looks the same but don't know whether it's retrofittable. F30 versions are pretty cheaper. Have a look @ this one.

It's not compatible no, the stem size is different between the two wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #29
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I purchased a wheel online and it came with an airbag without the blue sensor, does anyone have any solutions for this or should I return it? I don't think BMW sells just the harness nor do I think I can reuse the harness and sensor from my old wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #30
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
I purchased a wheel online and it came with an airbag without the blue sensor, does anyone have any solutions for this or should I return it? I don't think BMW sells just the harness nor do I think I can reuse the harness and sensor from my old wheel.
If the airbag covers are the same, you can just transplant your old airbag and/or igniter into the new cover. Here's my experience going from the base wheel to the sport wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #31
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
If the airbag covers are the same, you can just transplant your old airbag and/or igniter into the new cover. Here's my experience going from the base wheel to the sport wheel.
They are not the same nor do I feel comfortable doing this on an airbag
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #32
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

So if I get LCI f10 paddles they will work on a pre lci f10? I got some paddles for my pre lci f10 and it's doing what you're talking about when I put the car in drive, goes right into manual mode and goes crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:08 AM   #33
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

[ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Can someone assist me with the airbag light issue. I just installed the M sport wheel and I have that dreaded airbag light that will not go away. Is it a matter of coding or do i have to buy a new airbag? The old steering wheel airbag did not throw the airbag light after further troubleshooting. But the new airbag did.
when i went to install the old wheel cause i was fed up, the light came back on with the old wheel now. So I essentially am committed to resolving this issue and keeping the new wheel on the car. But need to get this airbag warning light issue resolved. Airbag is US spec. See a couple of pictures before and after below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:12 AM   #34
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
I have the same airbag and same issue now....how did you get yours to work? Did you get a new airbag?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #35
asian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
So if I get LCI f10 paddles they will work on a pre lci f10? I got some paddles for my pre lci f10 and it's doing what you're talking about when I put the car in drive, goes right into manual mode and goes crazy.
Did you get this sorted? I'm curious to know if F10 LCI paddles and steering wheel are straight plug n play to preLCI or just coding required?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #36
daddylonglegs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolis88 View Post
I am thinking of doing this build just without the paddles. Is it complicated to put together once you have all of the parts? Do you know if the f30 m sport LCI components like the buttons will fit onto the bare f10 wheel? I've found the control buttons on ebay for a good price but they are for the f30.

I got the bare wheel for free so really want to start on this project..

Thanks!
Hey stuck,

I know I am super late to the party but I did this similar retrofit (went from pre-LCI non sport wheel with paddle shifters to LCI M sport wheel with shifters), so my car already had the paddle shift function.

After doing the swap, everything works except my shifters... And I was under the impression that at least the minus paddle shifter should be working since the resistance is the same between pre LCI and LCI (but not 100% sure on that). I am getting the error code "No message (operation of shift paddle, ox207): Receiver EGS, transmitter FEM/SZL". With that being said I am wondering if doing the resistor swap on the LCI paddles will even cure the problem. Please let me know. I can give you detailed pics etc. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #37
daddylonglegs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
OK so I recently put my car back together with a temporary Pre-LCI MSport steering wheel as it was a "no line" car and has the base crappy steering wheel.

I've been scoping out eBay looking for a reasonably priced LCI MSport wheel and found one to my liking for $200, dealer take off.

I did not notice that the wheel wasn't equipped with SAT paddles and I would have assumed that all of the wheels would be pre-drilled for them but this was not so. Using the paddle as a jig I marked the 2 holes on each side that needed to be drilled and went ahead and did it. The inboard hole is what fastens the paddle down while the outboard hole is an alignment tit. The outboard does not *need* to go all the way through but it doesn't matter if you do.

Here is the wheel almost fully assembled, this is where I realized I was short a few parts. I wrongly assumed the pre-LCI wheel would use the same control module and harness as the LCI wheel but they are not alike at all. Different connector blocking tangs, length, design etc. I had to go ahead and order those new, not too bad about $250 from the dealer for the control module and harness.

Here are the two wheels next to one another

Hey stuck,

I know I am super late to the party but I did this similar retrofit (went from pre-LCI non sport wheel with paddle shifters to LCI M sport wheel with shifters), so my car already had the paddle shift function.

After doing the swap, everything works except my shifters... And I was under the impression that at least the minus paddle shifter should be working since the resistance is the same between pre LCI and LCI (but not 100% sure on that). I am getting the error code "No message (operation of shift paddle, ox207): Receiver EGS, transmitter FEM/SZL". With that being said I am wondering if doing the resistor swap on the LCI paddles will even cure the problem. Please let me know. I can give you detailed pics etc. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #38
priitv8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i

Here's my solution to the problem. Used normal 5% tolerance parts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #39
Ptbll9
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f11

i have a big question: i can use the module and the vibration motor from f30 m steering on my f11 steering wheel ? (i have f10 lci m sport steering wheel retrofited at my f11)

i hope you understand my english
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:24 AM   #40
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptbll9 View Post
i have a big question: i can use the module and the vibration motor from f30 m steering on my f11 steering wheel ? (i have f10 lci m sport steering wheel retrofited at my f11)

i hope you understand my english
The vibration motor will work for all F chassis.

The module will not work. Only 5 and 6 series are interchangeable (F07, F10, F11, F06, F12 and F13)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #41
Ptbll9
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
The vibration motor will work for all F chassis.

The module will not work. Only 5 and 6 series are interchangeable (F07, F10, F11, F06, F12 and F13)
this is not good
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:02 PM   #42
shanghai_todd
Rep
Drives: BMW 325 & 911

Here is my contribution if anyone is still confused.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #43
atr911
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

[EDITED] I was SO SO Wrong. lol

Hope this helps elaborate on the OPs fix to the problem!

Last edited by atr911; 01-26-2023 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:36 AM   #44
DS_BMW88
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i Coupe

Garage List
My retrofit does not work and I honestly think that the cables of the harness (especially the ones that are supposed to feed the shifters are in the wrong order). Would it be okay to use a multimeter to check if there is a voltage running on the live circuit of the paddles or would that cause any issues?
Appreciate 0