2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Wrap project

07-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #45
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuthy335 View Post
Soooooo after several attempts at trying to do the front m5 rep bumper and trunk in one piece. I failed. It's dam near impossible. I ended up doing the trunk in 3 pieces just because of the curves and lines of the trunk. As for the front bumper, I ended up doing all the inlays first and the area around the headlight because of how much it dipped in. Then laid wrap cut tape on the edges and then wrapped the whole bumper. Those inlays are a pain in the ass. Still got one more door handle to do and the roof and then I'll be completely done. Will post up pics soon!
Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished project
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #46
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Nice work
      08-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #47
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i montego blue - 2011

Garage List
Well guys here are pics of my finished work. Wrapped the whole car in satin matte black, carbon fiber roof, black brushed aluminum on the window trim, I also inserted carbon fiber on the chrome pieces of the door handles. I wrapped the side markers carbon fiber also, haven't did the side mirrors because I ran out of carbon fiber wrap. And cause it's hard as fuck. But I'm still planning to tackle it. I got rid of the wood grain on the interior so I also did the interior trim in black brush aluminum, haven't figured out how I'm gonna do the middle console yet. I don't have an emblem on the bumper cause I didnt put it on correctly and it flew off, so I'm currently waiting on a new one. lol
Please excused the car being a little dirty. I washed it and later came the rain. Smh.
Attached Images

Last edited by vuthy335; 08-07-2017 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 3
vpatel867316.50
Ickdeep5706.00
      08-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #48
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

oh damn that turned out SICK! i almost wanna be brave and wrap my car! which carbon fier vinyl did you go with? i went with Vivid 5d but i think it maybe too thick? also, what do you have to do when i comes to washing the car?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #49
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
oh damn that turned out SICK! i almost wanna be brave and wrap my car! which carbon fier vinyl did you go with? i went with Vivid 5d but i think it maybe too thick? also, what do you have to do when i comes to washing the car?
Thanks bro! I used 5d carbon fiber, if I had to do it again. I would probably go with 2-3d. 5d is too thick. Much more difficult to work with. And it was harder to tuck it. But it was pretty dam sturdy. I still wash my car like normal. Haven't had any problems yet. But then again if I mess something up from the car wash. I'll just redo that part myself. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #50
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Got pics of the inlays on the bumper?

I did the hood, fenders and I messed up on one of the quarter panels so I had to rip it off. I will tackle this eventually but I'm definitely going with Avery this time around. The vinyl from Alibaba is nearly impossible to cold stretch.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:59 AM   #51
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNGNCE5 View Post
Got pics of the inlays on the bumper?

I did the hood, fenders and I messed up on one of the quarter panels so I had to rip it off. I will tackle this eventually but I'm definitely going with Avery this time around. The vinyl from Alibaba is nearly impossible to cold stretch.
I had any problems with any of the ones I've gotten from the Ali sites. I've gotten 6 different kinds already. Cold stretching worked fine for me. I'll post pics of the inlays on the from the front bumper soon as I finish again. I just took it off tonight to redo it another method. I'll take a pick of the inlay on the trunk to show you tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #52
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I watched several videos and looks like the rear bumper is the hardest
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #53
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I watched several videos and looks like the rear bumper is the hardest
Rear bumper to me was easy compared to the front. In the rear you just have one inlay in the trunk area. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #54
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
Damn Good job. Love the radar detector.
      08-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #55
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatel867 View Post
The wrap is also stealthy. Nice job!

Ditto on the V1. I've had many detectors (starting with the one below) and hands down the V1 is the best of the bunch!

Name:  1st radar detector.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  97.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #56
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
The wrap is also stealthy. Nice job!

Ditto on the V1. I've had many detectors (starting with the one below) and hands down the V1 is the best of the bunch!

Attachment 1672161
Thank you! If you're gonna have one. Might as well have the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #57
Makiedog
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive GT

Did you wrap your side mirror caps? Those are pretty hard to do, took me several tries to get decent results.

2011 535i X-drive Gran Turismo
19" LA 369 Wheels
Facebook 5 GT Owners' Group
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #58
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makiedog View Post
Did you wrap your side mirror caps? Those are pretty hard to do, took me several tries to get decent results.
I'm planning to wrap it carbon fiber. I've had a few failed attempts, then ran out of material and been tied up with work being busy. so I haven't gotten back to it yet. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #59
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I wrapped my mirrors rwice with the 5d carbon fiber vinyl but after awhile would start peeling off so i ended up ordering some carbon fiber mirror caps instead
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #60
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wrapped my mirrors rwice with the 5d carbon fiber vinyl but after awhile would start peeling off so i ended up ordering some carbon fiber mirror caps instead
That would be the easiest option. I?m considering going that route also. Just to save me some time. But then again if I want to change color. Which I know I will. I?m probably gonna need to be able to sooner or later. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #61
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi M-Sport

I am so glad I found this post. Great job with the wrap!!

I've done some wrapping before (roof, mirror caps 4 times, and all my interior trims) on my F10 and am finally starting my own full car wrap project.

Some notes from me to share, and some questions!

Notes:

1. I wrapped my interior with 3M 1080 black brushed aluminum too! The center console wasn't so bad, there's easy tutorials on how to remove everything. However I wasn't able to remove the cigarette tray cover and the cup holder cover, so the hinge-side corners of that were iffy.

2. After wrapping one of my mirrors 4 times (with peeling) and the other one twice, I kind of figured it out. I originally used Vvivid 5D carbon fiber and it is too thick to work through the tight inside corner of the mirror, even with pre-stretching. On recommendation from Metro Restyling (thanks Matt!), I went with the SOTT Elemento-6 Gloss Carbon Fiber, which worked almost perfect. I messed up and ripped the inside corner a bit and had to use a second piece, but the overlap is smooth and I didn't stretch very much so I don't expect it to lift. Overall, not worth the 10+ hours I've spent on them so far.

Now for my questions... looking over the car a few things concern me:

1. Did you have to remove the parking sensors to wrap them individually? How tedious of a process is it to remove the bumper and then the parking sensors? Did you wrap the front bumper with the bumper off, or on the car?

2. Did you *really* have to remove all the lights to wrap under them? I've seen a few videos from The Wrap Institute where he uses knifeless tape and does not take lights off. I'm not sure if that affects longevity.

3. What did you do with door jambs?

4. If anyone has been able to wrap the mirror in 1 piece without lifting, please teach

5. For door handle inserts, I can't seem to get the very corners of it to stay in, and my cut looks a bit jagged. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #62
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

For the trunk's U consider these videos:

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #63
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaholics View Post

4. If anyone has been able to wrap the mirror in 1 piece without lifting, please teach

5. For door handle inserts, I can't seem to get the very corners of it to stay in, and my cut looks a bit jagged. Any tips?
I was able to do mine in 1 piece but it started to peel after 6 months. I posted some pictures somewhere. And for the door handle inserts i just used a heat gun and it stayed tucked in
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 03:00 AM   #64
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antaholics View Post
I am so glad I found this post. Great job with the wrap!!

I've done some wrapping before (roof, mirror caps 4 times, and all my interior trims) on my F10 and am finally starting my own full car wrap project.

Some notes from me to share, and some questions!

Notes:

1. I wrapped my interior with 3M 1080 black brushed aluminum too! The center console wasn't so bad, there's easy tutorials on how to remove everything. However I wasn't able to remove the cigarette tray cover and the cup holder cover, so the hinge-side corners of that were iffy.

- I just did the interior door panels just cause I was bored. I wasn't to onto it so I didn't bother to get to deep into do that.

2. After wrapping one of my mirrors 4 times (with peeling) and the other one twice, I kind of figured it out. I originally used Vvivid 5D carbon fiber and it is too thick to work through the tight inside corner of the mirror, even with pre-stretching. On recommendation from Metro Restyling (thanks Matt!), I went with the SOTT Elemento-6 Gloss Carbon Fiber, which worked almost perfect. I messed up and ripped the inside corner a bit and had to use a second piece, but the overlap is smooth and I didn't stretch very much so I don't expect it to lift. Overall, not worth the 10+ hours I've spent on them so far.

- after several attempts at the side mirrors. My mirrors isn't wrapped right now. If I see one little lift or wrinkle it bothers the fuck out of me. So I just ripped it off. 5D carbon is probably the worse to use to wrap side mirrors. Learned that first hand also. Lol

Now for my questions... looking over the car a few things concern me:

1. Did you have to remove the parking sensors to wrap them individually? How tedious of a process is it to remove the bumper and then the parking sensors? Did you wrap the front bumper with the bumper off, or on the car?

- when I first wrapped my car I removed the parking sensors and did them individually. It require some extra time. I don't think it a worth it. So I just wrapped over it. I like the look without the holes better anyways. Removing the bumper isn't hard. Once the bumper is removed , removing the parking sensors is easy. It's just a clip holding in place. I wrapped the bumper on the car. But with out the lights. So I can have that extra hollow space. You'll want to get the wrap nice and tight and tucked under on the inside of the bumper. Otherwise when it bakes in the sun. There's a pretty good chance that it will wrinkle and shrink back out. The deep inlays on the bumper is what sucks.

2. Did you *really* have to remove all the lights to wrap under them? I've seen a few videos from The Wrap Institute where he uses knifeless tape and does not take lights off. I'm not sure if that affects longevity.

- I would recommend removing the lights for best results and longevity of the wrap staying in place.

3. What did you do with door jambs?

- I didn't do anything with the door jams. Didn't feel it to be anything important enough to do.

- if it's an f10 with the side turn indicators on the mirrors. It shouldn't be hard cause only half of it is painted and the rest is black.

- what do you mean door handle inserts? Like the inside of the door handle??? I've learn you can't get it to completely get it to go all the way around. It won't stay. It'll peel right away as soon as the car bakes in the sun. I just got it enough to just curve in a little and then I cut it. People are only gonna see the outside part of the door handle anyways.

I hope I was able to help a little with things. If you have any other questions. Feel free to ask and I'll do the best I can to explain how I did it. For the mean time. Here's some pics of a car I just finished Monday night.
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 03:01 AM   #65
vuthy335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wrap I started on last week and just finished Monday night.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 05:35 AM   #66
antaholics
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuthy335 View Post
- what do you mean door handle inserts? Like the inside of the door handle??? I've learn you can't get it to completely get it to go all the way around. It won't stay. It'll peel right away as soon as the car bakes in the sun. I just got it enough to just curve in a little and then I cut it. People are only gonna see the outside part of the door handle anyways.

I hope I was able to help a little with things. If you have any other questions. Feel free to ask and I'll do the best I can to explain how I did it. For the mean time. Here's some pics of a car I just finished Monday night.
[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks a lot for those answers!! They're very helpful.

For the bumper, do you have a picture of how the parking sensors look when you wrap over them? I envision the deep recesses to be very difficult and will take a lot of pieces to get done. If you have a diagram of which separate pieces you use it might help the rest of us a lot

For the door handle insert, I'm actually talking about the silver piece. Maybe I didn't give it enough heat for the corners to go in, I'm not sure...

Sick wrap on the Subaru! I really like the CF details you put in
Appreciate 0