2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What are your most highly rated or under rated options, now that you have your car?

04-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

What are your most highly rated or under rated options, now that you have your car?

I thought HUD would be great. But I drive mostly during the day and thus can't see it wearing polarized sun glasses. It also generally only displays speed as I don't use the navigation all that often. I likely wouldn't bother again.

The soft close doors, on the other hand, were included in the car I bought. I woudn't have paid extra for them at the time. But, I think they are wonderful. Kids don't need to slam doors and the lock/unlock on the handle is a great feature.

Thoughts?
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

I have the heads up display too and actually don't think I'd spring for it if I had to or if it wasn't included in some other package. I just don't use the navigation that much and looking at the speedometer isn't really that much of a chore. I thought it worked through polarized sunglasses though?

I really like the carbon ceramic trim! It was part of the executive package, and I didn't think much of it. But I had a loaner 5 series without it and I thought the knobs all felt cheap and plastic-y. Very glad I got the ceramic controls on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

I think HUD is one of the best options I have. Wouldn't buy again without it.

The same goes for the cruise control with stop and go. This thing is just fantastic if you do long distance cruising.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Easy, Head up display.
This just makes so much sense. It might not sound a big deal or might sound like a gadget but once you have used it , it really is very good.
As its focused around 6 feet in front, you don't have to keep refocusing.(as you get older, you'll know what I mean!)
With the NAV instructions being displayed you can put other displays on your centre screen thus freeing up having the directions shown on there.
yesdoesn't work with polarised glasses but then thats to be expected as they cut down on reflections and the HUD is fundamentally a reflection.

I'd also rate the active cruise control and very good if you accept its limitations.

I simply wouldn't specify a F10 without an autogearbox as well.
Although I don't have TPMS on my car, its an option I wish I had gone with.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
HUD, rear and top view cameras!
      04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

HUD was one of the mandatory features I needed to have and I def. highly rated for the Navigation use.

Useless option are the side view camera, I like the top view but I never used the side view cameras.

I'm thinking about retrofitting the side view cameras to point towards the blind spot and code it that it comes on at any speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

I've got the vented seats which I do like, but to get that you need to get the Executive Seating Package that also includes a butt massager - it's a novelty for about a minute and a half, after that it gets annoying. I don't know what else is different, but at $1800 it's definitely not worth it. I'd do it at $500, but not $1800.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
cordoor
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi

Surprise Features

Soft close doors - I wanted them because the feature sounded cool, but I thought they would be a frill and nothing more. I couldn't have been more wrong. They are absolutely wonderful! I can't tell exactly what it is but it is just an unbelievable feeling to open the door, get out of the car, and give the door a soft touch and it closes slowly and then sucks right in. It's fantastic. And it is easier for the kids to close the doors, too.

Push button trunk - This one goes straight to the kids and their back packs. My E60 didn't have this feature and I had numerous problems with kids (because they brought their packs inside the car's cabin). Once, my daughter's pack unknowingly pushed the cup holder button so when she got out of the car her pack ripped it off ($175 for the fix). Now, with the F10 and the push button trunk, they put their packs in the trunk and push the button to close the trunk. I push the button to open it for them. It's worked out perfectly.

Adaptive Cruise Control - Not a surprise for me on the F10. I ordered my F10 because I wanted this feature. It was a surprise for me on the E60, which I bought not knowing about this feature and was surprised when "there it was." This is such an underrated feature and it is never included on dealer stock so nobody ever finds out how cool it is. I got lucky with the E60. I made sure I got it with the F10.

Overrrated

Navigation - This feature doesn't even work. The routing is dreadful. I have numerous photos I've taken of ridiculous routes. So anyone who says they like Nav is delusional.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Screamin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i xDrive

It's a tie between the HUD & the Surround View Cameras and then the soft close doors. For you non believers of the HUD, tint your windows.
'97 E39 528i (Arctic Silver Metallic) - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

I don't think i could ever have a car without hud again...
With that said I wish I had bought the car with soft close doors.
      04-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

I got an F10 will all the Options I NEEDED and I think they're all mandatory.

Tech Package, Premium for the keyless entry/auto trunk, etc., heated seats, rearview camera, HUD (which I LOVE but do wish it displayed more stuff, like RPM for one).

However, the best of the best is Sport Auto Trans. Wouldn't take an F10 without it. Much improved programming on the tranny which makes this cars drivetrain feel bonafide "Sports Car", beautiful shift paddles which I use a lot, and a much nicer looking, higher quality feeling iDrive shifter with leather surround instead of the hard plastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Regretted that I didn't get the auto trunk. Thought I was 'saving' money for the wife, but when we picked it up, she asked why we didn't get it. Can't win!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Fascinating how much folks appreciate HUD. I think if I used NAV more (or if it displayed tach or music/phone source) I would be more enamored.

Soft close & comfort access are great, as indicated. Who knew?

The luxury seating package seems a bit of a bust. Haven't tried the ventilated seats yet, as it has been winter since I picked up the car last year. My kids like the butt message, but I think it is plain weird. Maybe on a long drive I would appreciate it. Heated seats are always nice and the Nappa leather is as well. Not sure it is really superior to Dakota leather.

The B&O audio system is mind blowing, though I doubt I would have sprung for it had I ordered the car. But it sounds stupendous.

Favorite option by far though is the manual transmission with the M-sport package. Very nice. Not quite E-39 like, but very pleasing.

Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Highly rated: Well, from a value perspective, then heated steering wheel for me. Still using it right now here in the UK.

Under rated: Comfort seats. Although the memory functionality is great (which includes steering wheel too) they're not good enough to justify the additional price.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Another vote for HUD
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
Fascinating how much folks appreciate HUD. I think if I used NAV more (or if it displayed tach or music/phone source) I would be more enamored.

Soft close & comfort access are great, as indicated. Who knew?

The luxury seating package seems a bit of a bust. Haven't tried the ventilated seats yet, as it has been winter since I picked up the car last year. My kids like the butt message, but I think it is plain weird. Maybe on a long drive I would appreciate it. Heated seats are always nice and the Nappa leather is as well. Not sure it is really superior to Dakota leather.

The B&O audio system is mind blowing, though I doubt I would have sprung for it had I ordered the car. But it sounds stupendous.

Favorite option by far though is the manual transmission with the M-sport package. Very nice. Not quite E-39 like, but very pleasing.

Bill
I believe if you get the software of the car updated (or via coding) you can get the music list and phone displayed on the HUD. It think (not sure on this) the latest models have this like the F30.

In tersm of NAV , all of teh negative reports I've seen on it seem to be from teh US and my guess is that the satnav data provider may not be that good for the US. I've no compliants with the satnav data for the UK.(not sure who the provider is)

Evebn if I know where I'm going, I program teh satnav with teh destination so I get traffic guideance (RTTI) to avoid any potential hold ups.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill
I thought HUD would be great. But I drive mostly during the day and thus can't see it wearing polarized sun glasses. It also generally only displays speed as I don't use the navigation all that often. I likely wouldn't bother again.

The soft close doors, on the other hand, were included in the car I bought. I woudn't have paid extra for them at the time. But, I think they are wonderful. Kids don't need to slam doors and the lock/unlock on the handle is a great feature.

Thoughts?
For me, it was active cruise with collision detection in combination with HUD.

This collision system increases your margin of safety. Everybody has two close calls a year with hitting another car. This system can reduce or eliminate those two close calls.

Your eye detects a change in the speed of the car in front of you by an increase in the apparent size of the rear end of the car in front of you.

Many times, you can't tell the car in front has slowed down until you are too close.

The collision detection system displays a red car in the HUD when the car in front slows down.

This is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Sport Auto Transmission, Dynamic Dampers, and oddly enough (even in TX) the cold weather package. Love that heated M sport wheel!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
JKresh
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

navigation is terrible
HUD I don't even notice it anymore
LUX seats are KILLER - SO COMFORTABLE
all the cameras - not my thing
hi fi system is great
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
Estimated Prophet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i / Stage 2

Favorite options/features I would get if I ordered the car today:
  • N63 + Stage 2
  • HUD - Had HUD in two other vehicles and forgot how much I enjoy it. Wish the song list showed up though.
  • Power Trunk/Comfort Access
  • Sport Auto Transmission
  • Top View Cameras
  • Premium Sound - B&O would be better but I probably wouldn't spring for it.
  • Extended Instrument Cluster

Things I would not go out of my way to order if they weren't included in a package:
  • Soft Close Doors
  • Active Front Seats
  • 4 Zone Climate
  • Side View Cameras
  • Window Shades

Aftermarket:
  • COR Mesh Forged wheels - Make a huge difference in the look of the car.
  • CocoMats - Best floor mats out there. I love them.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
dchartier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

My favorites in no particular order are:

- Soft-close doors: aside from the convenience of not having doors partly closed, it's just so cool!
- HUD: great for getting nav instructions, specially when you want the center stack screen on something else like MEDIA.
- Ventilated seats: Feel great after a hard work-out, and (IMHO) the Dakota leather looks so much better ventilated than non-ventilated.
- Selection of music tracks using the wheel button on the steering wheel: Not an option, but I have to mention it. At first, I thought this was unnecessary, but now I can't live without it. It's so much easier to select tracks. When I get in my wife's car which doesn't have it, I feel lost.
- Door close/lock doors button on the trunk lid: Super convenient after you park your car.
- Comfort access/keyless start: Once you have it, you can't go back. 'Nuff said.
- Rear sunshades: Great for my son in the backseat, and keeps the car a little cooler when parked.
- Overhead camera: Very cool and keeps my rims from getting scratched by curbs!

My least favorites:

- Seat massagers: Nice novelty, but I agree with another poster: After a minute, it feels weird.
- Lane departure warning/blink spot detection: I see the value, but it becomes annoying when I'm trying to switch lanes and my steering wheel vibrates because there's a car 20 feet behind my rear bumper.
      04-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
airjoe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 550i

Love:
Soft close
Seats
Suspension (especially w Dinan springs)
Heated steering wheel
Powered trunk

Useless:
HUD
Cameras
Paddle shifters (I know SAT brings other things)

Dinan Stage 2, springs, M5 mufflers, and 303M/Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0