2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 2012 F10 520D (ED) Alternator replacement issues

05-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #1
Adz46
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d ED

2012 F10 520D (ED) Alternator replacement issues

Afternoon all.
I've had my 520 D (Efficient Dynamics) for nearly 5 years and i've just gone over 200K miles.
It's never let me down, it's been fantastic.
Last week though, I got the "Battery is not charging" error on the dash on the way to work.
I checked the voltage and sure enough it was under 12v, even with the engine running.
It's never been sluggish to start, so this fault was out of nowhere. I know it could possibly the battery (especially as i've never replaced it) but the alternator seemed to be the most likely candidate (given there was 0 voltage going to the battery as i drove along).
I was a car mechanic a long time ago and an alternator change was a simple job usually.
I couldn't find any guides for my engine but assumed (wrongly) that it would be a simple job, as the N47 guides on youtube etc look pretty simple.
To get mine out is a bit tricky, to say the least and I was just after some advice if anyone has any.
I've not ordered one yet but wanted to remove mine in readiness.
It looks like all the pipes above the alternator (in the picture) need to come off and maybe even the upper coolant hose.
Plus the clip that attaches to the alternator has a connector i've never seen. It looks as if it pivots up 90 degrees but it's tight and i don't want to snap it.
Sorry for the War and Peace post, I just wanted to get as much info across as possible.,
Any advice would be most welcome
Cheers, Adz.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/shar...vYXbDLkBLRTK5d

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/shar...SLyszbz98Cyk1J
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 520D M Sport

I had a similar issue on my 2012 520D @85k. Car didnt get load of usage but the odd long run here and there, got the discharge message almost every other day and replaced the battery as it was 9 years old.

Same issue but read somewhere the IBS cable on the battery terminal could be causing it so disconnected it and no issues since. Starts every time, no issues with lights/sluggy electrics.

My be worth a try!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
Adz46
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.bell1987 View Post
I had a similar issue on my 2012 520D @85k. Car didnt get load of usage but the odd long run here and there, got the discharge message almost every other day and replaced the battery as it was 9 years old.

Same issue but read somewhere the IBS cable on the battery terminal could be causing it so disconnected it and no issues since. Starts every time, no issues with lights/sluggy electrics.

My be worth a try!

Thanks. I'll have a look, the alternator is enroute but i'll check that too.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's fairly simple. Remove acoustic cover, drive belt and then unbolt the alternator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
Adz46
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
It's fairly simple. Remove acoustic cover, drive belt and then unbolt the alternator.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated
Appreciate 0