2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Intermittent Pedestrian / Camera Malfunctions after Safelite Windshield Replacement

05-13-2023, 12:22 AM   #1
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Intermittent Pedestrian / Camera Malfunctions after Safelite Windshield Replacement

Hello. Just purchased a 2014 BMW 550i and the previous owner used their insurance (free in AZ) to have Safelite to replace the windshield the day I picked up the car due to a few large chips. When Safelite arrived, they mentioned because there are aftermarket wheels, the calibration could fail and could require a trip to the dealer, but when the service was done, they said all was well and no issues during calibration.

After about 2 days, I am now getting intermittent warning chimes about the Pedestrian Collision system and other related front camera warnings, like telling me to check for obstructions (there arent any). The warnings and chimes typically go away after a few minutes but it's definitely annoying. So maybe the calibration did not work after all

Should I go back to Safelite and have them attempt to recalibrate it? With the verbal warning they gave, my guess is they will suggest I take it to the dealer which will probably be expensive. Is this something that I can buy a tool and calibrate myself? Thanks in advance everyone! Happy to be back in a BMW.
Attached Images

05-13-2023, 12:35 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I don't understand why the wheel manufacturer matters; as long as the rolling diameter is the same, who made the wheels shouldn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I don't understand why the wheel manufacturer matters; as long as the rolling diameter is the same, who made the wheels shouldn't matter.
It's probably just a liability thing. I reached out to the SA over there and here was his response:

"If the car is lowered our has different sized tires then it might not recal correctly. There could also be codes on the car. You may want to have the car scanned for dtc codes and see if that is causing the problem. When we have cars come in with non stock tire size or altered suspension, we wont even do the recal. The car has to go to the dealership."

I'm confused too because the vehicle ran fine prior to having the windshield replaced.. is there a specialized tool/technique the dealer has that Safelite doesn't? I'm looking into ITSA+ and a cable to try calibrate my self, hopefully to avoid the what I presume is a $750 calibration job at the BMW dealer.
      05-14-2023, 09:09 PM   #4
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

Learned about ISTA+, bought a cable and ran my own diagnostics. Turns out the errors are due to excessive heat (I'm in AZ), and not related to calibration or the windshield replacement. When parking the car in direct sunlight, I've been removing the plastic camera cover to let the camera breathe a little better, and the errors have happened a lot less. Thinking about adding a heatsink to the backside of the camera for additional dissipation.

Exact issue TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47038-9999.pdf

Interestingly enough, the fix recommended above is to replace the camera (https://bmwrepairguide.com/sib/660915.pdf). Maybe the originals were more sensitive to heat? I might replace if I can get a new one for decent price. Anyway, I hope this information helps someone in the future.
      05-15-2023, 08:33 PM   #5
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

When I first retrofitted KAFAS into my vehicle, I had issues with the camera not seeing road signs well but lane departure worked fine. I upgraded to the latest camera for our cars and it works much better so I do believe newer cameras are better
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 09:41 PM   #6
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
When I first retrofitted KAFAS into my vehicle, I had issues with the camera not seeing road signs well but lane departure worked fine. I upgraded to the latest camera for our cars and it works much better so I do believe newer cameras are better
Do you have a part number you can share? And where did you purchase from? Thanks.
      05-16-2023, 08:25 AM   #7
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Interested in this as well. My 6 series has this issue when driving directly into the sun on clear days. It’s never been an issue in my 5 series though, so I’m hoping a camera swap fixes it as well.

I recommend getbmwparts to look up numbers and to order, or order through FCP Euro for a lifetime replacement guarantee. If I can’t find the number reliably online I just call a local dealer and get them to give me the correct part number.

I found this part number online, but I strongly recommend contacting a local dealer to verify before purchasing. 66-51-9-458-736
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 12:13 AM   #8
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie335 View Post
Do you have a part number you can share? And where did you purchase from? Thanks.
Like SWFLf10 said, latest part number for F10 is 66519458736.

Keep in mind, swapping camera will require you to recalibrate. If you have ISTA then you are ready to go. Also, KAFAS modules are not plug and play. Depending on your options, it can have up to 3 different FSC certificates that you will need to load from your old module over. If not, most features will not work because it will be rejected since it doesn’t match your vehicle’s VIN.
Appreciate 1
ICBMW1.00
      05-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #9
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like SWFLf10 said, latest part number for F10 is 66519458736.

Keep in mind, swapping camera will require you to recalibrate. If you have ISTA then you are ready to go. Also, KAFAS modules are not plug and play. Depending on your options, it can have up to 3 different FSC certificates that you will need to load from your old module over. If not, most features will not work because it will be rejected since it doesn’t match your vehicle’s VIN.
This is great information as I did plan to grab a used KAFAS module from eBay just in case the current module is bad. I have received 2 pedestrian malfunction Warnings when the car was in a cool garage after Battery reset and Code reset, so I don't know if there is another issue outside of the camera overheating. When I scanned w/ ISTA+ the code 800A24 (KAFAS Memory Error) popped up and recommended replacement of module.

On my current camera, the part number I have is much different so I do certainly hope the number you both provided is a newer, more stable model. FWIW, I dont know which of these is the part number but here is what I see:

9281720-02
6651 RR4
622580900B
Autoliv
      05-17-2023, 10:24 AM   #10
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBMW View Post
This is great information as I did plan to grab a used KAFAS module from eBay just in case the current module is bad. I have received 2 pedestrian malfunction Warnings when the car was in a cool garage after Battery reset and Code reset, so I don't know if there is another issue outside of the camera overheating. When I scanned w/ ISTA+ the code 800A24 (KAFAS Memory Error) popped up and recommended replacement of module.

On my current camera, the part number I have is much different so I do certainly hope the number you both provided is a newer, more stable model. FWIW, I dont know which of these is the part number but here is what I see:

9281720-02
6651 RR4
622580900B
Autoliv
Based on BMW’s catalogue, the latest compatible part for your vehicle is 66519458736.

Memory error is a potential bad KAFAS module. This part is pretty much universal to all F chassis and Rolls Royce. You will need ESYS to program it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 10:51 AM   #11
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Based on BMW’s catalogue, the latest compatible part for your vehicle is 66519458736.

Memory error is a potential bad KAFAS module. This part is pretty much universal to all F chassis and Rolls Royce. You will need ESYS to program it.
Cool. Looks like some YouTube on ESYS is in order. Couple more questions for you if you dont mind:

1. Which version of ESYS do I need if all I am doing is KAFAS module swap?
2. How would I backup/extract/download the old certificates needed for the new unit and load them up on the new one? Can you recommended any How To videos on this procedure?

Sorry for the noob questions, this is all foreign to me but I am handy around computers. I already have the eNet cable for ISTA+ so I think I am covered there already. Thank you.
      07-25-2023, 09:18 PM   #12
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update: I purchased an identical camera with the same part number from eBay and the issue persisted. So this made me think it was the KAFAS module. However, A local BMW shop said they would warranty the ADAS for me and to bring it in, so I did. 2 days later, car is back with no more faults. All they did was replace the camera with the new part number (66519458736) as the old one has been superseded. Luckily, didn't have to replace the KAFAS2 and Route 66 warranty covered the new camera and install.