2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos I think the Genesis G70 Sport will be a very serious contender to the BMW M340i

07-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #23
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I know people are crapping on Hyundai. Coming from Europe I can tell you that BMW was a shit company for a while as well. They went from making airplane motors and bikes, to appliances. Eventually they started to making cars; and these cars were NOT very good. Then the 1960s came and the company did a full 180 and started to produce quality vehicles. Hyundai is now doing a similar transformation.

Meanwhile BMW is resting on its laurels.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #24
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
night and day difference between the old genesis coupe and the new genesis line. not even in the same ballpark.

and yeah, an entry level hyundai (elantra) isnt going to have all the bells and whistles lol.

I test drove the g80 sport and it is a very serious competitor to the BMW/Audi/Mercedes i test drove as well.
Where did I say anything about bells & whistles on the Elantra? I didn't. What I was referring to was the fact that it was a POS compared to other cars in its class.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #25
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Give credit to Hyundia/Genesis for making their vehicles stand out. This G70 doesn't look too bad and the Stinger actually has quite the presence when see anywhere. I turn to check it out and look at the lines.

All the BMW fanboys denouncing it just can't face the fact that their beloved brand has gotten soft, just as bloated, and out of touch of who they were.

Appreciate 3
Delta03117477.50
Germanauto9698.00
Dthltm77.00
      07-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #26
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Give credit to Hyundia/Genesis for making their vehicles stand out. This G70 doesn't look too bad and the Stinger actually has quite the presence when see anywhere. I turn to check it out and look at the lines.

All the BMW fanboys denouncing it just can't face the fact that their beloved brand has gotten soft, just as bloated, and out of touch of who they were.
Exactly.. I always loved BMW but most of the cars they have out now look alike. From the front is hard to tell them apart. The only BMW cars I would be interested in these days is the M240 and the M cars (really like the M2). The current 3 series and 4 get a from me.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Also amusing that BMW's are being made in China, South Africa and South Carolina, but Korea is somehow seen as inferior. Should probably not look into where your tv came from.
Appreciate 2
Delta03117477.50
      07-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #28
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Where did I say anything about bells & whistles on the Elantra? I didn't. What I was referring to was the fact that it was a POS compared to other cars in its class.
isnt it significantly cheaper than a jetta? like 5k or so on a 15-20k car

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #29
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
This is a super crowded segment but the G70 looks very competitive. The ATS and Jag XE had a lot of shortcomings that you could tell from photos alone, it is no wonder they both flopped.

Genesis has had 6 straight months of declining sales so they need this car badly. It will be tough for them to compete though not due to the product, but because they still sell through Hyundai dealers and will have terrible residuals (as has been the trend for Genesis). That makes leasing at competitive rates also tough.
Quite right.. I wonder how long the Koreans are in the game for because they've not only the performance to shoot for, they've got to build that rep
Mercedes has the interior
ATS & Alpha have the handling nailed
Jag & Audi are closing
BMW has the overall

I'm just glad all these horses are pushing Bavaria to put out more
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #30
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
isnt it significantly cheaper than a jetta? like 5k or so on a 15-20k car
No, about same MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #31
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Quite right.. I wonder how long the Koreans are in the game for because they've not only the performance to shoot for, they've got to build that rep
Jag & Audi are closing
BMW has the overall

BMW has the overall what, boring to drive? Aside from a couple M cars, BMW is bleh right now.
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00
      07-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #32
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Jag & Audi are closing
BMW has the overall

You mean put out vehicles no one asked for?

One minute they say they'll cut down on the models they'd roll out, and next thing you know, they've announced 15 new models.

I think everyone idolized having a BMW, the ultimate driving machine, but I think people just want them now for a brand, like Nike, something to look nice in, in that 320i down Rodeo Drive.

Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      07-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #33
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
BMW has the overall what, boring to drive? Aside from a couple M cars, BMW is bleh right now.
Even though I agree BMW now is much bleh comparing to BMW in the past . But if comparing BMW to other competitor in their normal car categories, eg. m340 vs s4 vs c45amg, I argue BMW still have something more to offer. (Not the case for some other competitor like alfa romeo, and sadly not true anymore for higher end model like M4 vs RS5 vs C63. Bmw not even has a car in same sector as r8 or amg gt).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #34
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
You guys realize that Hyundai hired the head of BMW M, Albert Biermann, a few years back...

He is responsible for this car and others, hence why Hyundai/Kia cars are starting have really good handling and performance.
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00
      07-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #35
shmad
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Jag & Audi are closing
BMW has the overall

youve got it all wrong there. Most auto magizines have Gulia #1, a4 #2, and the 3 series as #3.
In 2016 i was looking at all the cars in the segment. I drove the a4, q50, 328/335, TLX, genesis, ats/cts. then last year i drove the guilia.
my ranking:
1. A4-which is what i went went. Overall best package. Drove faster, chassis was better than the 3 series hands down. steering was a little numb but def better than the 3 series
2. alfa (i found it too responsive that it was jittery)
3. 3series/infiniti

our e9x was the last generation of 3 series that was the "ultimate driving machine". the chassis and steering feel is not connected anymore.
Germanauto9698.00
      07-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #36
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmad View Post
youve got it all wrong there. Most auto magizines have Gulia #1, a4 #2, and the 3 series as #3.
In 2016 i was looking at all the cars in the segment. I drove the a4, q50, 328/335, TLX, genesis, ats/cts. then last year i drove the guilia.
my ranking:
1. A4-which is what i went went. Overall best package. Drove faster, chassis was better than the 3 series hands down. steering was a little numb but def better than the 3 series
3. 3series/infiniti

our e9x was the last generation of 3 series that was the "ultimate driving machine". the chassis and steering feel is not connected anymore.
The standard Giulia is a great handling car but cant take on the 340
Its more than a match for the 328 but atop the 3-series, its still abit short..
The Quadrifoglio is a whole nother beast but it takes on the M3.. they don't take on the 340. Imo the 340 is the better car overall in compare.

While the S4 may be more a match for the top of the 3 lineup tho its a bit more $$$, I don't think the A4 can compare.

Please don't start on Infiniti.. no go

If they fix the styling on the Giulia and give the standard Giulia a power upgrade then lets talk.. but then the G20 is coming so we'll have to see where the bar is then..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #37
shmad
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
my ranking:
3. 3series/infiniti

The standard Giulia is a great handling car but cant take on the 340
Its more than a match for the 328 but atop the 3-series, its still abit short..
The Quadrifoglio is a whole nother beast but it takes on the M3.. they don't take on the 340. Imo the 340 is the better car overall in compare.

While the S4 may be more a match for the top of the 3 lineup tho its a bit more $$$, I don't think the A4 can compare.

Please don't start on Infiniti.. no go

If they fix the styling on the Giulia and give the standard Giulia a power upgrade then lets talk.. but then the G20 is coming so we'll have to see where the bar is then..
the new go to segment is the turbo4. that's what I based my driving research on.

I agree with u on the quadrifolio statement, but not the 340. the more power doesn't make up for the steering/chassis feel

I also drove the XE. lol POS! it had 1200 miles on it. reverse stopped working in my test drive until I restarted the car and the car has a loud supercharger esque whine to it
      07-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #38
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
the new go to segment is the turbo4. that's what I based my driving research on.

I agree with u on the quadrifolio statement, but not the 340. the more power doesn't make up for the steering/chassis feel
The LCI has a slightly tweaked steering & chassis upgrade from the 335 in addition to the xtra ponies
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #39
shmad
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The LCI has a slightly tweaked steering & chassis upgrade from the 335
didn't know that, i'll have to drive it. the new mqb Audi chassis is awesome.
      07-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #40
tigger_643
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanfall View Post
Everything of this car, as a luxury sport sedan, seems like a complete package. But I have to admit the price of this car is a bit high for its badge at 57k in Canada. Im not saying there is anything inherently wrong about being a hyundai, but I dont think the market is ready for it yet,
It is a legit competitor and serious contender. Genesis might not have the brand cachet as BMW, Audi and MB. But they're smart in their approach. They know they're not going to win over loyalists and die-hard enthusiasts like some of the folks who have responded to this thread and many others who aren't even on any forum. Instead the brand is working to differentiate itself in the experience: the purchase process, at-home service, free maintenance. And hiring the right people from the competing German brands will help them develop proper products which anyone who is looking for something different might be willing to try. They did not set out to sell a crap load of cars and dethrone the 3 series overnight. But rather, they've realized that there is already a large pool of the current Hyundai customers who might be looking for something upscale, and the Genesis brand would be an affordable option compared to the Germans.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #41
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_643 View Post
It is a legit competitor and serious contender. Genesis might not have the brand cachet as BMW, Audi and MB. But they're smart in their approach. They know they're not going to win over loyalists and die-hard enthusiasts like some of the folks who have responded to this thread and many others who aren't even on any forum. Instead the brand is working to differentiate itself in the experience: the purchase process, at-home service, free maintenance. And hiring the right people from the competing German brands will help them develop proper products which anyone who is looking for something different might be willing to try. They did not set out to sell a crap load of cars and dethrone the 3 series overnight. But rather, they've realized that there is already a large pool of the current Hyundai customers who might be looking for something upscale, and the Genesis brand would be an affordable option compared to the Germans.
Your typical Hyundai buyer can't afford the Genesis brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #42
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
didn't know that, i'll have to drive it. the new mqb Audi chassis is awesome.
imo the 340 is an excellent driver's car

The only thing Audi side I wanted to taste was the S4 but the local dealer was being anal about a test-drive so I said GFY

Like I said the only one I am excited about if they get it right in the future is the Giulia.. more power.. tweak the styling.. get the quality right (yea right a BIG if .. but IF.. I will consider)
otherwise the M340i has 380 ponies and will be a mini-me-m
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #43
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Your typical Hyundai buyer can't afford the Genesis brand.
IMO the genesis & stinger will cannibalize part of the infiniti & lexus markets
I seriously doubt any BMW/Audi/Mercedes drivers are moving over to the Koreans
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good luck to Genesis- Hopefully it’s still around in 10years.

Lexus and Infiniti can’t sell IS, GS, Q50 etc.....Most ppl buy the badge- MB, BMW and maybe Audi.
Appreciate 0