2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 535d Serpentine belt & tensioner swap/ issue

06-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
GottiLee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d xDrive

First off The belt swap was really really easy. With the right tools and the video guide I listed below anyone able to follow directions should be able to handle it. I did mine at night with a flashlight. First time ever working on a BMW. Having the right tools are what I feel can make or break the swap. Took me right under 2 hours including going to Walmart to grab a socket.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ent/1VnXhXlByG
Diagram of belt and written instructions

⬆️⬆️Visual guide step by step & tools needed⬆️⬆️

⬇️⬇️current situation⬇️⬇️

So I'm still getting smoke and noise from the belt but can't seem to narrow it down from where. Tensioner seems fine visually and rotates freely but I have not yet replaced. Tensioner will be here next week. I had someone tell me they think it's the harmonic balancer, but I uploaded a video in hopes someone here with more knowledge could identify the source so this belt also doesn't get shredded.

⬇️⬇️Update⬇️⬇️
Went to BMW to check belt size and they said the one I purchased was too big. Found another at auto zone, installed then this. Assuming now a pulley is bad, or tensioner.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:03 AM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottiLee View Post
First off The belt swap was really really easy. With the right tools and the video guide I listed below anyone able to follow directions should be able to handle it. I did mine at night with a flashlight. First time ever working on a BMW. Having the right tools are what I feel can make or break the swap. Took me right under 2 hours including going to Walmart to grab a socket.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ent/1VnXhXlByG
Diagram of belt and written instructions

Visual guide step by step & tools needed

current situation

So I'm still getting smoke and noise from the belt but can't seem to narrow it down from where. Tensioner seems fine visually and rotates freely but I have not yet replaced. Tensioner will be here next week. I had someone tell me they think it's the harmonic balancer, but I uploaded a video in hopes someone here Koo with more knowledge could identify the source so this belt also doesn't get shredded.

Update
Went to BMW to check belt size and they said the one I purchased was too big. Found another at auto zone, installed then this. Assuming now a pulley is bad, or tensioner.
Have you tried ordering one off ecstuning or fcpeuro? I had mine ordered off FCPeuro with no issue brand is continental roughly 20$. Make sure you enter in your car year make and model then search for parts that way. Always check fitment also I learned that the hard way and had to reorder. If correct belt take off and try spinning each pulley see if there's any force stopping it from doing so.
      06-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
+1 on FCP euro did mine in about an hour perfect fitment and OE parts.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0