2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Valvetronic system deactivated *FIXED*

02-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #1
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i F10

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Valvetronic system deactivated *FIXED*

Got this error - 133E10 Valvetronic system: Deactivated, adjustment fault too frequent.

Is there any way i can check if valvetronic servomotor really needs to be replaced?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:12 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can purchase a new motor and plug it in to test. Just unplug the old one and plug the new one in your hand. Motor should move if your DME is ok. I actually have the motor for a N55 if you want to purchase from me. I purchased it from a local dealership and never returned.

Based on personal experience, wiring is not the issue. Either the valvetronic motor is bad or DME is bad. My X5 had a bad DME. It would not send power to the valvetronic motor.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2023, 06:49 AM   #3
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
You can purchase a new motor and plug it in to test. Just unplug the old one and plug the new one in your hand. Motor should move if your DME is ok. I actually have the motor for a N55 if you want to purchase from me. I purchased it from a local dealership and never returned.

Based on personal experience, wiring is not the issue. Either the valvetronic motor is bad or DME is bad. My X5 had a bad DME. It would not send power to the valvetronic motor.
Thanks for the advise and the offer but i am not in USA to buy it from you.

UPDATE: I tried to reactivate the Valvetronic by ISTA and it could successfully relearn but after driving a little I got the code 133B04 - “Valvetronic system no adjusment possible”. Does that mean that only Valvetronic motor is faulty and not the shaft if it could relearn?

Before i buy and swap the motor i want to make sure if it is the real cause of the issue because the labor isn’t cheap..
I found on ISTA that battery i have is 90 Ah instead of 105 Ah - could this be a cause of any problem? Probably Valvetronic motor not getting enough power supply?

Or changing the Valvetronic motor is only way to check if it is faulty?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 09:12 AM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Battery will not be the issue. Make sure you code it for 90 so it knows how to charge the battery corrrctly.

It could be that the motor is bad. No way to tell for sure unless you swap it out. The shaft does fail but less than the motor. I do not know about recall. You would have to check with BMW.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 02:08 PM   #5
jatt_di_bmw
Registered
Cameroon
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i xdrive

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Hey Folks, I am seeing this error in my bimemrlink app info memory but not in permanent errors. Should I be worried?
Just FYI, battery life is low for my car (60%). So I am planning to change the battery soon and there is no check engine light and car drive normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 04:01 AM   #6
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

If battery was an issue you would get a cold start servo error which would likely happen around 12v-ish. When the car is running if the battery is low you should see the alternator kick in 14.7v. Having said that, if the battery is bad then you’ll see lots of error codes that could cause issues.

Lastly, 90ah battery is fine. The 105ah was to provide more reserve power between charge cycles.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 07:07 AM   #7
dongotti
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i 2013, E36 328is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukavergille View Post
Problem solved: 0.5L oil fixed everything

Idrive was showing the engine oil level quarter above the Min. Had appointment with the mechanic already reserved for tomorrow to change the servomotor but decided to add the half quart oil for the last measure to see if it could help and supprisingly no more errors even after 50 mile spirited driving.
I am in the same boat and had the same level of oil in my car. I added the oil, but the codes are still there. Did your code go away right after you added the oil? I drove around in the neighborhood and then tried to clear the codes, but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 03:57 AM   #8
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Sorry didn’t have a chance to post the update - the error still came up and finnaly had to replace the valvetronic servomotor. Bought the one from totalled car with 50k miles for $100. One tip: if you replace the motor the code might still show up and you will need to reactivate the valvetronic from ISTA for it to work again.
Probably my servomotor still had some life in it and that’s what lead me in believing that fixing a low oil level solved the problem but the problem came back like 300-400km later and that’s when i changed the servomotor.
Will delete my post about adding oil to not misguide anyone.
Appreciate 0