2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is Dynamic Drive (active roll stabilizers) a good (fun) thing?

08-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #1
rs10
Registered
Rep
Drives: between BMWs

Is Dynamic Drive (active roll stabilizers) a good (fun) thing?

Is Dynamic Drive (active roll stabilizers/active anti-roll bars) a good (fun) thing?

My E61 has Dynamic Drive. I do not like my E61. And I’m not sure Dynamic Drive isn’t to blame. So now that I’m in the market for an F11, I’m wondering whether to buy one with or without Dynamic Drive.

I don’t like my E61 because it’s no fun to drive, unlike my 6 previous BMWs. Dynamic Drive is one of several suspects for several reasons:

Some say it makes the car feel artificial, which I can imagine meaning that the car doesn’t respond or provide feedback in a linear, consistent, predictable way.

Also, I just found an interesting quote of some BMW materials re. the F10: “[With Dynamic Drive,] roll distribution between the front and back axles also helps in difficult situations. … Dynamic Drive ensures that the vehicle literally hugs the road, under- or oversteering is reduced - resulting in enhanced safety, greater comfort and an impressively dynamic driving experience." If that means I am less able to use weight transfer and throttle steering to make the car rotate, that makes it less nimble and fun.

Also, I can imagine too much roll stiffness reduces both the impression of speed as well as feedback when driving at less than 10/10ths. And E61s and F11s are family cars, not track toys … .

On the other hand, Dynamic Dive is not the only suspect with my E61. Maybe it’s actually good (when the E60 was introduced, the journalists strongly recommended Dynamic Drive). And even if it’s guilty, maybe it works better on F11s?

My question is simple: Are F11s more fun (on the road, at less than 10/10ths) with or without Dynamic Drive? (And F10s too, at least for other readers.)

Any insight would be hugely appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:15 AM   #2
7'er-addict
Sporty Shorty
Rep
Drives: BMW E38 740i, BMW F01 750i.

It's worth it IMO.

It's boaty otherwise.

I really like active cornering. I try and get it in most larger cars I buy, way more stability around corners, no difference in ride quality or handling. Car moves around less in a corner so handling may as well be improved.

You still get weight transfer. It's just like an actively variable sway bar. Imagine being able to go to a thicker sway bar on a certain corner and then a thinner on on a different corner.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
My F10 has both the dynamic dampers (shocks) and active role stabilization. I ordered it this way from the factory after experiencing the dynamic dampers on my wife's Z4, and liking it quite a bit. My previous BMW was an E39 528i with sport suspension, so this is what I can reference when I talk about my F10 with its electronically enhanced suspension.

In my opinion, dynamic suspension on the F10, particularly with the active role stabilization, is worth it if you can find it. Recognizing that the F10 is quite a bit larger and somewhat heavier than the E39, it's handling characteristics when not pushed to the limit are surprisingly similar. Very stable in corners, and very accurate. It goes where you point it, and it holds the line. Sure, it does not handle like a 3 series, nor should it. It's a large family sedan with, in my opinion, one of the nicest and sportiest rides for that type of car. I've often had friends comment on how well planted it feels when I push it, and they are usually quite surprised on how good it is for such a large-ish car.

If you are looking for something to slam around corners and do some drifting / steering control with the throttle, this is not the car you are looking for. It won't let you and in my opinion, it should not either. But, back to your original question, yes, the dynamic suspension on the F10 is a good thing. From all that I've read on this forum, many find that F10s without it are considered floaty, drive like a boat, and not sporty at all. Mine, particularly when I compare it to my E39 as reference, is not floaty (is that a word?) at all and is quite poised.
Appreciate 0