2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Scratched headlight

05-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
1Quick545
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535 and X5

Scratched headlight

So I bought my car with a rubbed headlight… it's not like a deep scratch with like a key. More like a scuff mark. Any thoughts on getting this out?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Several ways, but it will require you to follow up with clear coat, so that it does NOT turn yellow:

Option 1: Use Random orbiter with polish (here)
Option 2: Use Random orbiter with plastic polish (here)
Option 3: Headlight Restoration Kit (here)

Note: I only provided examples in the "here" hyperlinks above..you can choose to use less expensive products. Technique is more important than the brand name of the product....but Option 3 already includes the "clear-coat" wipes, which I found to really work...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
sszablya
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550xi

Body shops here in Denver will restore headlights for pretty cheap. If you have a shop you like, it might be worth reaching out to them. I use an independently owned shop that has done fantastic work for me in the past. They start at $45 for restoration. I've yet to use the service, but I certainly will in the next couple of months to repair my Acura.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
HDCNAK12
Registered
Rep
Drives: mazda 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Quick545 View Post
So I bought my car with a rubbed headlight… it's not like a deep scratch with like a key. More like a scuff mark. Any thoughts on getting this out?
If it's just a scuff mark, you might be able to remove it with a headlight restoration kit. These kits are designed to remove scratches, oxidation, and scuff marks from headlights. You can find them at most auto parts stores or online retailers. In Denver, you can also consider getting professional headlight restoration services from a reputable auto shop like Dr Rock Chip. They use advanced techniques and high-quality materials to restore your headlights to their original clarity and shine. You can visit their website at https://www.coloradochip.com/ to learn more about their services.
Appreciate 0