2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Best way to accelerate?

01-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
xc535
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

Best way to accelerate?

Hello all. I have recently purchased a 2012 BMW 535d saloon M Sport (UK) and have a few questions about it. I am wondering what mode I should be in to achieve the best acceleration possible when I am doing something such as trying to burn someone off at the traffic lights! The particular model I have has a Sport + mode. I have heard that this turns off the traction or something like that? Apparently this could be good for a quick acceleration.
This car also has the sports transmission so I have the paddle shifts. Should I use these or just keep it in automatic/put it into M/S mode?
For the acceleration itself, should I floor it or only put the pedal down to a certain point to minimise wheel spin and then floor it. I have heard of something called “kickdown” where an automatic will downshift about 2 gears to give you the highest revs. Is this effective?

My last question is whether or not you think my 2012 model (pre LCI AFAIK) has launch control as I think this may be quite handy.

So pretty much I just need to know from your experiences what will be the best way to burn someone off!
This car has been absolutely terrific so far and I am loving absolutely every minute of driving.
Thank you in advance for all your replies and a happy new year to all!

Last edited by xc535; 01-05-2016 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Using launch control, if your car is equipped with it, is hands-down the best option if you're looking to maximize your acceleration from a full stop. It essentially will hold the engine RPM at a specific level while standing still (higher than idle) and allow you to "launch" off the line well within the power-band. You can somewhat simulate this even without launch control - keep your left foot on the brake and using your right foot to rev the engine slight to around 3.5k - 4k RPM, let's say, releasing the brake and mashing the accelerator at the same time. But if you have launch control, use it - the computer will do a better job.

Kick-down is not for launching, it's simply for highway passing. When you push the accelerator down, you'll feel there's a point of slight resistance where you can "click" passed at the very end of the pedal travel. It's the equivalent of mashing the pedal to the floor. That point of resistance, once exceeded, is known as "kick-down" and tells the transmission to give you the lowest possible gear at current engine speed.

As for manual versus automatic mode, I'd just leave it in automatic. You'll need Sport+ for launch control (follow the instructions in your manual). Shifting in manual mode has no benefit as far as achieving the best acceleration time goes... you're not going to do any better than the computer, and gear changes will happen at the same speed no matter whether you're initiating them or the computer.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
xc535
Rep

Thank you very much for your help. Today I will try and find out if my car can do launch control.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I think you will only find launch control on the LCI.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
xc535
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
I think you will only find launch control on the LCI.
That's too bad. I guess I'll just have to try and do it manually.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

Stomp on the gas pedal and don't let up until something gets in your way!!!!!!!
Appreciate 1
xc5351.00
      01-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Good info there ezmaass
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc535 View Post
Hello all. I have recently purchased a 2012 BMW 535d saloon M Sport (UK) and have a few questions about it. I am wondering what mode I should be in to achieve the best acceleration possible when I am doing something such as trying to burn someone off at the traffic lights! The particular model I have has a Sport + mode. I have heard that this turns off the traction or something like that? Apparently this could be good for a quick acceleration.
This car also has the sports transmission so I have the paddle shifts. Should I use these or just keep it in automatic/put it into M/S mode?
For the acceleration itself, should I floor it or only put the peddle down to a certain point to minimise wheel spin and then floor it. I have heard of something called "kickdown" where an automatic will downshift about 2 gears to give you the highest revs. Is this effective?
You won't have launch control, as that is an LCI feature with the 2nd generation ZF 8-speed as I understand it.

I'd personally leave in auto mode, D or M/S and use kick-down. A lot depends on whether you are starting from standstill, or a decent rolling speed and are wanting maximum acceleration/over-taking ability where kick-down comes in to its own. Remember the gearbox can block change, even 8th to 2nd gear in one change, if conditions are met. That is some aggressive down shift, 7th to 2nd is a very forceful shift in my 535i, that's without the 535d's torque.

Manual shifting is quite a busy activity in the 8-speed, not so sure that is what you want in the diesel, as you could be out of revs very quickly indeed. The European 535d is the better engine, as it revs out better than the 530d (US 535d), but difficult to beat the electronics doing the job for you.

Sport+ activates DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), so be wary if you are in a bend or coming off a roundabout and floor it, as you can twitch a bit at the rear, get it wrong and you can look like you can't drive the car.

Try a few options, like M/S and full throttle, rather than kick down. I often drive in D and when I want to accelerate moderately hard, simply flick the shifter to M/S and use WOT, less aggressive and almost as fast as kick-down, where you often hit the revs hard and immediately the gearbox as to change up. That is less an issue with a petrol than the diesel. Best try it and find what suits you.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I've found the rear wheels can break tractions quite easily so I've put the car into sport mode and put down a small amount of gas (remember gas pedal is more sensitive in this mode anyway) to get it off the line and then once its on the move, progressively applied more gas. That way it seems to avoid the wheels slipping and the traction control being activated which momentarily slows the car down.

I've not been going for a maximum acceleration off the line, but rather just a "spritely one".

Of course if the road is wet, I've applied less gas.

I have a 530d msport and whilst it is no M5, It still gives me a smile and surprises me still how fast this car is when asked.

I think I'm right in saying the police 5 series you see are 530d's.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
xc535
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You won't have launch control, as that is an LCI feature with the 2nd generation ZF 8-speed as I understand it.

I'd personally leave in auto mode, D or M/S and use kick-down. A lot depends on whether you are starting from standstill, or a decent rolling speed and are wanting maximum acceleration/over-taking ability where kick-down comes in to its own. Remember the gearbox can block change, even 8th to 2nd gear in one change, if conditions are met. That is some aggressive down shift, 7th to 2nd is a very forceful shift in my 535i, that's without the 535d's torque.

Manual shifting is quite a busy activity in the 8-speed, not so sure that is what you want in the diesel, as you could be out of revs very quickly indeed. The European 535d is the better engine, as it revs out better than the 530d (US 535d), but difficult to beat the electronics doing the job for you.
Sport+ activates DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), so be wary if you are in a bend or coming off a roundabout and floor it, as you can twitch a bit at the rear, get it wrong and you can look like you can't drive the car.

Try a few options, like M/S and full throttle, rather than kick down. I often drive in D and when I want to accelerate moderately hard, simply flick the shifter to M/S and use WOT, less aggressive and almost as fast as kick-down, where you often hit the revs hard and immediately the gearbox as to change up. That is less an issue with a petrol than the diesel. Best try it and find what suits you.

HighlandPete

Very informative. Thank you. If I were to try the kickdown method, how hard must I press? Will I feel a click?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
xc535
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I've found the rear wheels can break tractions quite easily so I've put the car into sport mode and put down a small amount of gas (remember gas pedal is more sensitive in this mode anyway) to get it off the line and then once its on the move, progressively applied more gas. That way it seems to avoid the wheels slipping and the traction control being activated which momentarily slows the car down.

I've not been going for a maximum acceleration off the line, but rather just a "spritely one".

I have a 530d msport and whilst it is no M5, It still gives me a smile and surprises me still how fast this car is when asked.
Very interesting. I'll be sure to give your method a try.

Quote:
You're probably right about that! They certainly have that big powerful police-car feel!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc535 View Post
Very informative. Thank you. If I were to try the kickdown method, how hard must I press? Will I feel a click?
Just a slight resistance at the full throttle position. Simply press the throttle pedal past the resistance point. You soon get used to full throttle and kick-down, unless you have a heavy right foot.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
xc535
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Just a slight resistance at the full throttle position. Simply press the throttle pedal past the resistance point. You soon get used to full throttle and kick-down, unless you have a heavy right foot.
Great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 03:54 AM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:

Yeah this is pretty much what I do. Unless the road is bone dry and I am setting off in a straight line, then you can more or less floor it... However with the weather in the UK at the moment I wouldn't be trying this out quite yet
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #15
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

This is what I do, I hold the brake with my left foot so the car won't go forward then press the gas with my right till I see 2500rpm on the tach then I let off the brake pedal and ease into full throttle (if you get wheel spin try lower than 2500rpm) from where I was holding it a 2500 rpm. But don't sit there at the light for longer than a few seconds like this, just start this process just before the light turns green. I would practice on an empty road or big empty parking lot first to see how your car will react. Also sport + does not turn off traction control, it turns off stability controll if you have it. You must hold the traction control button just above the driving mode selector for like 5-10 seconds till you see the traction controll disabled pop up in the idrive to disable traction controll. I don't reccomended you test my launch method with the traction controll off until you try it in a big parking lot or big open empty street or you might end up all sideways, for me this isn't a problem my previous cars had way more power and would annilate my 550 or any bmw for that matter. Happy motoring!
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

racing 101 lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

My first thought after reading the title was....

Push the loud pedal to the floor, quickly...
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i picture Dom telling you this at your window lol!

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 01-05-2016 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #19
xc535
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
This is what I do, I hold the brake with my left foot so the car won't go forward then press the gas with my right till I see 2500rpm on the tach then I let off the brake pedal and ease into full throttle (if you get wheel spin try lower than 2500rpm) from where I was holding it a 2500 rpm. But don't sit there at the light for longer than a few seconds like this, just start this process just before the light turns green. I would practice on an empty road or big empty parking lot first to see how your car will react. Also sport + does not turn off traction control, it turns off stability controll if you have it. You must hold the traction control button just above the driving mode selector for like 5-10 seconds till you see the traction controll disabled pop up in the idrive to disable traction controll. I don't reccomended you test my launch method with the traction controll off until you try it in a big parking lot or big open empty street or you might end up all sideways, for me this isn't a problem my previous cars had way more power and would annilate my 550 or any bmw for that matter. Happy motoring!

Thanks for the info. As my car does not have launch control I believe that the method you as well as others have described works best (setting off at at 2000 - 3000rpm).
Appreciate 0