2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2012 550i with CCP JB4 potential tuning

10-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
rhodius
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

2012 550i with CCP JB4 potential tuning

Hello,

I’ve been reading most of the postings on this thread, some I remember better than others.

I live in PA and have a 2012 550i with CCP which has the N63, this is my daily driver. I’m considering JB4 tune with the mobile connect kit for on the fly map change. From reading the Install pdf, it looks pretty straight forward if I don’t do the BCM. I don’t have the instruction for BCM install, but from reading comments it doesn’t sound easy. However I have some questions. I plan to be running octane 91 or 93 (premium gas), my intention is to run as normal as possible with greater acceleration and better response, as I understand the stock turbos are much more capable. I will not be driving super hard but occasional “fun” drive as I want as reliable as possible car. As of now I don’t want additional intake or anything else, unless barring something, this would be my only upgrade.

1. If I need to go through PA annual inspection, should I just set the JB4 to map 0 to pass the inspection? This is my biggest concern.
2. How easy to do the BCM myself? I'm not very handy at all, I've only done oil change on this car
3. Anybody in Philadelphia or South Jersey who can recommend an installer? In case I ran into issues, I’d rather have a professional install it.

I’m dyno-ing this week to establish some baseline. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
Rhodius

Last edited by rhodius; 10-25-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

JB4 isn't a TUNE. It's a Piggy Back. You need a Tune seek. Which JB4 version A/B?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

I would go with badblack550xi flash tune. He can do a sport+ mode tune. So in comfort its stock tune and then if you race someone you can switch to sport+ which activates the tune.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodius View Post
Hello,

I’ve been reading most of the postings on this thread, some I remember better than others.

I live in PA and have a 2012 550i with CCP which has the N63, this is my daily driver. I’m considering JB4 tune with the mobile connect kit for on the fly map change. From reading the Install pdf, it looks pretty straight forward if I don’t do the BCM. I don’t have the instruction for BCM install, but from reading comments it doesn’t sound easy. However I have some questions. I plan to be running octane 91 or 93 (premium gas), my intention is to run as normal as possible with greater acceleration and better response, as I understand the stock turbos are much more capable. I will not be driving super hard but occasional “fun” drive as I want as reliable as possible car. As of now I don’t want additional intake or anything else, unless barring something, this would be my only upgrade.

1. If I need to go through PA annual inspection, should I just set the JB4 to map 0 to pass the inspection? This is my biggest concern.
2. How easy to do the BCM myself? I'm not very handy at all, I've only done oil change on this car
3. Anybody in Philadelphia or South Jersey who can recommend an installer? In case I ran into issues, I’d rather have a professional install it.

I’m dyno-ing this week to establish some baseline. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
Rhodius

Yes you can set JB4 to map 0 and it will turn off, i am not sure that even turned on you would fail emission. Only way to fail emission is to have catless downpipes.
Don't bother doing BCM.
I wouldn't use anything below 93 on a 550 car.
      10-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
I wouldn't use anything below 93 on a 550 car.
We just got back from a ~5600 mile road trip and the vast majority of stations we used had 91 as the max. The 93 stations were few and far between; I don't remember seeing 93 west of Louisiana.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodius View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
Rhodius

Did you ever get the JB4?
Appreciate 0