2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Need to replace driver's door gasket/seal - the foam/black rubber piece

10-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
Eurocar_lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW GTI GLX

Need to replace driver's door gasket/seal - the foam/black rubber piece

There is significant wear on the door gasket to the point the car is no longer sealing like it used to. The wear is on the B pillar side where the driver used the pillar to get up out of the seat - so after almost 10 years, it's worn out.

I looked for the item and found it for $340-$400 (well the dealerships went up to $490) and that is just for the part. Installation would be $250+ most dealerships estimated!

So I'm wondering if I could maybe buy a used gasket from a car in the junk yard (obviously same model & part #) and either use the "new" gasket/seal or cut a section out of the current gasket and glue in the replacement. I'd basically do the same as when I splice rubber O-rings where I cut at a 30-45 degree angle (both at once so they line up & stay straight) and then superglue the pieces together. I've done this with a refrigerator & freezer gasket and it worked great.

I'm also wondering how difficult this is and if anyone has any suggestions about how to do this or and what to expect I'd really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0