2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications first post: Overheating after replacing water pump (yes I did the auto bleed)

06-08-2022, 10:15 PM   #1
nathanksu2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 535I xdrive

first post: Overheating after replacing water pump (yes I did the auto bleed)

2014 535i Xdrive 110,000 miles (2nd owner)
Back Story:
Coolant puddle and a check engine light: Pressure test lead to installing new water pump from FPCEuro. I messed up and ordered the wrong Tstat so only replaced the Water Pump. I ran the auto purge and topped off with BMW Coolant.

Wife drove the car up to hwy speeds, the car flashed high temp warning and cut power. I received the correct tstat that day and swapped it out. Ran the purge and then topped off the coolant. Drove around for a few days (short city trips only) no new codes and no issues.

Wife drives again up to highway speeds and high temp warning pops up once again. I chose to replace the original battery as well as the coolant temp sensor. Purged the system, the Purge ran for over 20-30 min until I finally shut it off. I Drove the car with the Max AC on and the hidden menu displaying the temp. The auxiliary Fan was running once I set the A/C to Max, around 110C the fan switched to HI speed. Once the temp reached 120C/125C the car went into limp mode.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
nathanksu2000
United_States
Rep

Using the hidden menu I found 2 codes. E12c1c (active), and B7F694 (inactive).

I just purchased a bluetooth obd2 adapter and the Bimmerlink App. I have not used this yet.

I am thinking about ordering a 2nd water pump since we never had overheat issues prior to opening this can of worms. We only had the slow leak and had to top off the coolant every few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #4
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Hidden menu is worthless for codes.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #5
nathanksu2000
United_States
Rep

Back at it. The only code visible at this time according to my bimmerlink was indicating that the water pump was not connected but thisnwas not currently active. the Mileage indicated was around the time I replaced the water pump. I drove the car for several days while watching coolant and oil temps as well as water pump rpms using BimmerLink. Everything seemed ok.

Yesteday I drove the car 15 min across town in traffic and 92 degrees high humidity. Everything seemed fine. stopped for an hour, jumped on the highway ran 70-80mph for 20 min then waited in stop and go traffic to enter stadium parking lot. Again, no issues. After the show jumped back on the highway and made it only 4-5 miles and the high temp warning/drive moderate alarm came on. Got off the highway, hooked up the bimmer link. Coolant was hovering around 245-250, Oil was 250-260, pump rpm 250 and the fan was sounding like it was running full temp.

No new codes

not sure what to do at this point. Car runs fine for few days and a longer spirited drive along the highway and then after sitting for 2.5 hours the car quickly overheats once I jumped on the highway. Im sure the temps are accurate since i could hear coolant boiling when I stopped and popped the hood to cool off before limping back home.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
Global-F10
Private
Rep
Drives: 14’ 535 E36M3

I would Run the auto bleed again
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

I would run the autobleed again, and hook the car up to a charger and just let it run for a long ass time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:49 PM   #8
nathanksu2000
United_States
Rep

I'll give that a try. Can't hurt at this point. Just annoyed that I drive it for a few trips and everything's fine, until it's not.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #9
nathanksu2000
United_States
Rep

Still randomly overheating. Can drive for several hours/days in 90 plus temps with high humidity and no issues. Then randomly the temps spike and the high temp warnings turn on. If we turn off the car, turn on the heater for a few minutes, the temps drop and we can go on our way as if nothing happened. According to my Bimmerlink the only code present is " water pump speed out of range" (not present but stored)

After the wife got home last night I checked the coolant temp using bimmerlink (220 degrees), coolant level and ran the auto purge again and did not notice any air bubbles. Then, today she was able to drive around town to several appointments with no issues until late this afternoon then the warning popped up, she turned off the car, turned on the heater, temps quickly dropped, turned on the ac and went on her way with no issues.

I have replaced the waterpump (twice actually to verify it was not a bad waterpump) replaced the thermostat as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #10
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanksu2000 View Post
Still randomly overheating. Can drive for several hours/days in 90 plus temps with high humidity and no issues. Then randomly the temps spike and the high temp warnings turn on. If we turn off the car, turn on the heater for a few minutes, the temps drop and we can go on our way as if nothing happened. According to my Bimmerlink the only code present is " water pump speed out of range" (not present but stored)

After the wife got home last night I checked the coolant temp using bimmerlink (220 degrees), coolant level and ran the auto purge again and did not notice any air bubbles. Then, today she was able to drive around town to several appointments with no issues until late this afternoon then the warning popped up, she turned off the car, turned on the heater, temps quickly dropped, turned on the ac and went on her way with no issues.

I have replaced the waterpump (twice actually to verify it was not a bad waterpump) replaced the thermostat as well.
See if you're able to clear the stored water pump speed code and check again after the issue occurs again? If it's still throwing a code I'd look into that further. Seems very strange though if you've replaced the pump already twice..

Good luck and keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #11
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Have you considered going old school with jacking front of car up, add battery tender, then run auto bleed again? Could be a stuck air pocket somewhere
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #12
nathanksu2000
United_States
Rep

I'm very hopeful it's good to go. I cleared the code, ran the purge after starting the car to ensure the heater was blowing hot air. Finally, was able to add some additional fluid (maybe 4 to 6oz.) But still enough to make me believe there was an air bubble that finally came out. Since after the first fill up/purge cycle I have never been able to add anything.

Thanks for your thought on this issue. Purge purge purge.
Appreciate 0