2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Engine Oil Pressure: Stop Carefully!

07-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

Engine Oil Pressure: Stop Carefully!

Hello everyone,

Today my brother was driving my 535i F10 LCI when the following message appeared on the instrument cluster:

Engine Oil Pressure: Stop Carefully! (In red)

we scanned the car using my BM700 scanner and it showed the following codes in the ECM:

1C3002 Engine-oil pressure sensor, electrical: short circuit to earth
118002 Mixture control: Fuel-air mixture too rich
1C3101 Engine oil pressure sensor, plausibility: pressure too high before engine start
1C0102 Oil pressure control, plausibility, static: pressure too low
1FB801 Check Control message (ID212): Engine oil pressure! Stop the vehicle carefully
1C0301 Oil pressure control valve: stuck in fully energised position (minimum oil pressure)
1C2002 Engine oil pump: Pressure too low
1C3102 Engine-oil pressure sensor, plausibility: pressure too low before engine start

Now for me it seems like the oil-pressure sensor gave out as the message popped instantly implying the oil pressure is critically low. in other threads I notice that some got a yellow notification saying the the engine oil pressure is getting low but not implying to stop immediately.

also the contradicting 2 errors of pressure too low then pressure too high before engine starts maybe also indicating that the sensor is gone?

If anyone read through this kindly give me your valuable opinion. many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

I'm suspecting all of this to be caused by a faulty oil press sensor because of your first code "1C3002 Engine-oil pressure sensor, electrical: short circuit to earth". A faulty sensor would trigger all the other subsequent codes.

Can that BM700 see live data? Turn ignition on without starting the engine and see what value the oil pressure sensor reads. On a cold engine should be zero and hold steady.

If this is not what you see, inspect the harness connector at the sensor (back of the oil filter housing). It's common for the sensor to leak internally with age and this leak eventually runs out through the harness connector and soaks the wiring behind it following the harness. I'd clean it as best possible and replace that sensor (whether clean or not) to rule it out. It's cheap and easy to access anyway.

Also, to your best knowledge, has the belt ever slipped and been sucked into the crankcase via the front crank seal? Another question, do you have any active oil leaks that could have starved the pump of oil causing all these low pressure errors?
11' M-sport- 371 WHP-478 WTQ on stock PWG// DYNO COMING FOR Shuenk N55+ on 91oct/ BHP Intake/ IC/ CP/ DP/ Valved Mufflers/ David Shoup Tuning/ B58 Coils+N20 NGKs/ Walbro 450/ Helix OD/ xHP3/ G12 Brembos
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep

95blkmax Thanks alot for your reply, I have been waiting for any input from the forum to help out with the diagnosis.

The BM700 can read live data and that was my plan for tomorow to test (I am away from the car and I am giving my brother instructions to diagnose the car). From what I have found the oil pressure should be 15psi is at idle and no load and 60psi is at max rpm and full load.

I replaced the belt not long ago but there was no signs of the front crankshaft seal failure or leakage at all. The belt was only degraded a little with very small cracks from the inside rubber due to heat and wanted the safe of mind.

There is only one small leak in the rear main seal and its dripping slowly between the engine and converter but it is quite minor and to me currently it is not worthy of the expense and the labor to fix it (I already spent too much more that what I planned to get this car up to spec). Plus I have placed 2000km on the car since last oil change and it is still at max.

With regard to the sensor error, from what I read online, this is the way on how the sensor operates. It doesnt have 2 wires, only power and the ground is built on the body of the sensor. It is designed in a way that whenever it reads low oil pressure, the ground "shorts out" and gives the car the low oil pressure reading. Please correct me if I am wrong (and I really wish that I am wrong lol) because I really want it to be the sensor failing, not the pump.

I have a video of the engine internals running after the codes showed up and to me the oil pump seems working fine:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comment...m_source=share

In all cases I will check the plug of the sensor and verify if there is an issue with it and probably replace it just to rule it out as you said.

Thanks again for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:54 AM   #4
zack9r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Did you ever end up figuring out this issue?
      10-30-2023, 06:34 AM   #5
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack9r View Post
Did you ever end up figuring out this issue?
I forgot to update the thread about this but it is because I did not encounter this error ever since.

One thing to note is that I found out that the oil pressure sensor connector is not clipping properly to its sensor. The connector as a whole is ok its just that the "clipping in" plastic piece of the connector is broken. Maybe someone was too aggressive and broke it before I had the car. But from what I can recall is that I removed the connector, cleaned it with contact spray. and tried to push it as much as I can inside its port. No issues since.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 01:28 AM   #6
fbacungan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I have a 2011 528i that cranks but doesn't turn over. Reading the codes, I get

1C3101 Engine-oil pressure sensor, plausibility: Pressure too high before start.

I've read other posts that suggest replacing the Oil Temperature and Pressure Sensor (not the oil pressure switch), but I can't seem to find its location searching several bmw forums. I haven't been able to find it in Realoem also.

I buy most of my bmw parts on pelicanparts.com and the part is available for order.

Anyone know where this might be located?
Appreciate 0