2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Yet another Coilover question.

07-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #1
ceka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d 11'

Yet another Coilover question.

Hi all,

I think my shocks are out (bump/shaking ride on highway, wiggly sounds over speed bumps.. I've repaired my wheels, can't think of anything else why the ride is shaking in highway)

Does the coilovers like Kws or bc maintain standard height, don't want to lower the car.

I ordered the eibach sway bars, don't want to ruin the luxury ride with stiffer coils.
Best alternative to maintain quality soft ride while firm on the highway turns?

Or is it best to buy an aftermarket shock kit from ebay at 600 usd?eBay
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #2
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

KWs will alter the ride height. I don't think you will like the Eibach bar, which I found way too stiff. Nor will it correct for the bad shocks. I would look at Bilstein options for shocks.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 05:44 PM   #3
ceka
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks man,

Any experience with the bilstein b6 shocks being too stiff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNorm View Post
KWs will alter the ride height. I don't think you will like the Eibach bar, which I found way too stiff. Nor will it correct for the bad shocks. I would look at Bilstein options for shocks.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 12:36 AM   #4
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceka View Post
Hi all,

I think my shocks are out (bump/shaking ride on highway, wiggly sounds over speed bumps.. I've repaired my wheels, can't think of anything else why the ride is shaking in highway)

Does the coilovers like Kws or bc maintain standard height, don't want to lower the car.

I ordered the eibach sway bars, don't want to ruin the luxury ride with stiffer coils.
Best alternative to maintain quality soft ride while firm on the highway turns?

Or is it best to buy an aftermarket shock kit from ebay at 600 usd?eBay
You don't have to go with coilovers.
I had KwV3 and Koni on my Msport.
If you don't want the lowered ride height of coilovers, definitely get the Koni Sport shocks.
They are smooth, compliant over bumps, and are adjustable so you can set them to your desired level of plushness.

Had Bilsteins on my E90 and E60, while they ride very well on the highway, the Bilsteins can be a bit bumpy at low speeds on less than perfect pavement. The Konis I added to my F10 made me wish I had a chance to try the E60 and E90 with Konis too.

I think you would love the Konis as much as I did. There was no downside to them. Even when set very firm, the ride is still smooth.

Last edited by thakid22; 07-28-2022 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 03:59 AM   #5
ceka
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your input..

Looking for the Koni ones, I believe the Koni sport are the yellows, and the only option that I see for the f10 right now is the red Special Active (new fsd I believe)
Koni lookup
Koni Special Active
Pelican Parts and other sites same thing

Can I use my stock springs with this?
I've see that on Bilsteins the B4 are oe replacement and the B6 are same height but performance oriented replacement, B8 for lowering springs.
wondering about this Koni reds thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
You don't have to go with coilovers.
I had KwV3 and Koni on my Msport.
If you don't want the lowered rode height of coilovers, definitely get the Koni Sport shocks.
They are smooth, compliant over bumps, and are adjustable so you can set them to your desired level of plushness.

Had Bilsteins on my E90 and E60, while they ride very well on the highway, the Bilsteins can be a bit bumpy at low speeds on less than perfect pavement. The Konis I added to my F10 made me wish I had a chance to try the E60 and E90 with Konis too.

I think you would love the Konis as much as I did. There was no downside to them. Even when set very firm, the ride is still smooth.
Appreciate 0