2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Transmission adaptation reset

08-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #1
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi

Transmission adaptation reset

2013 535xi, N55/8HP. ~15k miles ago I paid a small Bavarian auto shop to service my transmission because I didn't have a garage at the time. A few months ago I noticed it slipping into 1st gear when cold, and occasionally slipping into 2nd to 3rd when I accelerated moderately or hardly. I finally have a good garage shop setup so I dropped the pan and noticed a good deal of clutch material in it. The fluid was dark and I noticed it was about 1qt low on fluid. I replaced the pan/filter and filled it with ZF fluid, then repeated it 100 miles later. It feels much better but still has a minor slip into 1st at intersections (mostly rolling shifts) and still occasionally slips into lower gears. MOST of the time it drives well but I'm afraid the clutch wear will kill its life expectancy.

Will resetting the transmission adaptation make up for the lost clutch material since it's basically accelerated wear?
Appreciate 0