2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Can't set two OBD readiness monitors

08-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #1
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Can't set two OBD readiness monitors

Does anyone know what/how drive cycle for the two monitors (Oxygen Sensor Monitoring and Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring) in the photo below? For the life of me I cannot set them. I've tried doing the "drive between 40-60mph for 15 minutes" drive cycle that is supposed to set oxygen sensors, but it's still unset.

Has anyone successfully set these two monitors? I have catalytic converter efficiency monitoring turned off with BM3 due to high flow cats, but I don't think these are related.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 02:53 AM   #2
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Does anyone know what/how drive cycle for the two monitors (Oxygen Sensor Monitoring and Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring) in the photo below? For the life of me I cannot set them. I've tried doing the "drive between 40-60mph for 15 minutes" drive cycle that is supposed to set oxygen sensors, but it's still unset.

Has anyone successfully set these two monitors? I have catalytic converter efficiency monitoring turned off with BM3 due to high flow cats, but I don't think these are related.
My friend, I feel your pain. I send you my prayers haha. Try 8 months of living hell, no registration and pure torture!!!!!!!!!! I replaced everything, O2's upstream and downstream twice, downpipes to Heatsync (fixed a sputter), reflashed tune on DME, 2nd DME Flashed back to stock, switched intakes to Heatsync (fixed EVAP due to leak on prior intake) and the list goes on and on and on. Hours of searching FB groups, forum posts, researching other models, I even researched how to force an open loop on the O2 Heater with wire, etc. I tried all the other online Drive Cycles, no go for 8 months and thousands in parts.

So my issues were EVAP and O2 heater, EVAP finally readied but O2 heater would register for the life of me. We called the local dealership here and spoke to Master Tech who dealt with all cars that had emissions issues at their shop.

O2 Heaters…..
1-Cold start for 6 minutes (car must completely cold, best to do early morning or late night).
2-Drive for 6 minutes between 20-30MPH but under 3,000RPM, if you have to stop at a stop sign/light it is okay.
3-Enter a freeway or highway and drive for 18 minutes consistent above 60MPH and remain under 3,000RPM with no speed limit (70, 80 etc is fine). He also said if you need to drive a few minutes longer go ahead, it won't hurt the process.
4-Pull over either on an off-ramp or side road or to the shoulder if not too unsafe (apply hazards). Put the car in Park and let it idle for 12 minutes. He said this is where he smokes a cigarette or two outside the car. You can check at this time if you would like or wait until you get home.
5-Now you can drive home normally and let it sit.
6-If the car did not ready, restart the process as it may take 2-3 drive cycles to ready. When restarting the process the car must completely cold, not kind of cold but absolutely cold. Restarting the process on your drive back home after #4 will not work because the car is already too hot. He also mentioned that idling is key, if you idle longer that will not hurt and could possibly help.

For anyone else looking for EVAP only…..
1-Cold start for 6 minutes (car must completely cold, best to do early morning or late night).
2-Drive around a neighborhood or a town (not so many lights and stop signs but it will not affect the process) for 10 minutes between 20-30MPH but under 3,000RPM, like mentioned before if you have to stop at a stop sign/light it is okay.
3-Either park or return home and idle for 6 minutes before turning car off. Recheck, this may take 2-3 times for systems to ready because these take values from two separate cycles. He also mentioned that idling is key, if you idle longer that will not hurt and could possibly help.

This may not work for everyone, it may only work for 1 person or it may be the golden ticket, IDK. A lot of these systems ready better with cooler temps but will work when it is hot as well. He told us that for EVAP if it's too cold, it will be extremely hard for it to ready up.

After I got my emissions sticker, I reinstalled my flashed DME and ran through these steps again and everything readied in 2 cycles and everything remains readied today. I hope this helps atleast one person. Good luck.
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
bk_mike
|
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post

Have you tried this? I followed this exactly and was able to set mine recently.

Exhaust gas sensor monitoring / exhaust gas sensor system (oxygen sensors)
Accelerate the vehicle at high load from a standing start to 50 mph (80 km/h). Drive at a constant speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) for 20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

What does high load exactly mean...?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try doing the full drive cycle. It have to be in this exact order. I recommend doing it at midnight when most are not on the highway. Use the most inner lane with hazard lights on.

1. Cold start.

2. Let it idle for 2.5 minutes with rear defroster on and AC on max to draw a big load.

3. Turn off everything that draws a load. Apply half throttle until it reaches 55 mph.

4. Maintain at 55 mph for 3 minutes. I recommend cruise control.

5. Release foot from accelerator and let it coast down to 20 mph without using the brake. Vehicle must be in gear.

6. Accelerate with 3/4 throttle to 55 mph.

7. Maintain 55 mph again for 5minutes

8. Decelerate to 20 mph again and you are done.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Derp.

I'm an idiot. I had turned off catalytic efficiency monitoring in BM3. That's cause catalyst, O2 sensor, and O2 sensor heater to never be set. Turned it back on, time to cross my fingers and wait.
Appreciate 0