2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Driver Seat (Leather) Wear-n-Tear Advice (PIC)

01-31-2024, 07:53 PM   #1
SummerallGuard04
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

Driver Seat (Leather) Wear-n-Tear Advice (PIC)

I noticed this spot starting to get a little "rough" as it's most likely the spot on the seat that takes the biggest impact from when I enter/exit the car. Wanted to poll the audience to see if anyone has signs of wear-n-tear in this spot and, if so, what measures or precautions have you taken to slow or combat the breakdown of the leather? TIA

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 08:56 AM   #2
fotontom
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82 M-Sport, 528i F10

That's not too bad. For that kind of ear I would try Obenauf. Start with the oil preservative, apply minimally, and see how that turns out. You may want to use the beeswax for the rest of the smooth leather surfaces, For the perf sections, I would try a Detrapel product.
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #3
SummerallGuard04
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotontom View Post
That's not too bad. For that kind of ear I would try Obenauf. Start with the oil preservative, apply minimally, and see how that turns out. You may want to use the beeswax for the rest of the smooth leather surfaces, For the perf sections, I would try a Detrapel product.
Thanks for the advice. Just purchased some of the oil and will try it out sparingly. I also came across tenacious tape. I think it's more for camping gear but i've used it before to patch a hole on a good pair of my pants and worked like a charm. While i have nothing to patch on my car seat, I thought that the tenacious tape would act as an inconspicuous layer of protection once the oil subsides. I'll have to follow up on this thread to show you what I mean when I'm done...
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 08:57 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerallGuard04 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Just purchased some of the oil and will try it out sparingly. I also came across tenacious tape. I think it's more for camping gear but i've used it before to patch a hole on a good pair of my pants and worked like a charm. While i have nothing to patch on my car seat, I thought that the tenacious tape would act as an inconspicuous layer of protection once the oil subsides. I'll have to follow up on this thread to show you what I mean when I'm done...
That's the most common wear spot on most any car. That is hardly worn at all. Get a small bottle of matching dye - check eBay for a place in England that sells small bottles ("dabber" they call them) of BMW dye for about $10. Put some on and wipe the excess off so it only fills those cracks. Then just change the way you get in and out of the car. I get in and out w/o touching the side bolster.
Appreciate 1