2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Weird issue after bm3 tune

09-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #1
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Weird issue after bm3 tune

So everytime i shift in manual mode, the car shifts right away but the power delivery is delayed.
Before the tune when i shift, it upshifted crisp and clean and power delivery was continuous.
Now it feels like i shift, and it shifts on time but it feels kind of like a slipping clutch because the power goes strong and when i switch gears it dies down or bogs and restarts making power again if that makes sense
Almost like a rubber band of power delivery.
Anyone else have this issue? Does this in both normal auto shifting or manuallyshifting in manual mode.

I am on stage 2 ots tune from boostmod3
I have catless downpipes and exhaust and intake.
Plugs were done not even 2k miles ago.
No leaks
And it cant be a heat related or fmic problem because it does this even on a cold night at proper oil temp level
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I do not have that issue. I just reflashed to OTS Stage 2 AGG and have no issues. Same mods as you. I think the shifts feel stronger than before to be honest. The auto-manual mode still sucks overall compared to an SMG or DCT, but I don’t notice any loss in power.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep

The only time I notice what you’re saying is if I lift off the throttle between shifts
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldze1025 View Post
I do not have that issue. I just reflashed to OTS Stage 2 AGG and have no issues. Same mods as you. I think the shifts feel stronger than before to be honest. The auto-manual mode still sucks overall compared to an SMG or DCT, but I don’t notice any loss in power.
Are u local to la by any chance?
Is there more than 1 ots tune for stage 2?
Yes it still sucks but it wasnt like this before,the tune.
Auto talent flashed it, gonna take it in this week to see whats wrong if any.
Not familiar with data logging nor do i have the cable so i cant do it on my own.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Shieldze1025
Keepin' America Free
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettalker View Post
Are u local to la by any chance?
Is there more than 1 ots tune for stage 2?
Yes it still sucks but it wasnt like this before,the tune.
Auto talent flashed it, gonna take it in this week to see whats wrong if any.
Not familiar with data logging nor do i have the cable so i cant do it on my own.
I am not, I'm in Hawaii unfortunately. The good thing is LA has more car gurus than any other place in the world for BMWs.

They have two OTS tunes for stage 2. One has "AGG" at the end of it for aggressive, which gives you the gunshots and loud pops on deacceleration. I flashed the car myself, you can get a cable for $20 and the software is free.

Honestly, I've flashed my car probably 10 times over the 3 months I've had BM3. At first I wanted louder pops so I would mess with the sliders and reflash. Then I tried the AGG tune and my car would give me drivetrain malfunctions. Back to the non-AGG tune and it would run fine. But then I started have a low idle at cold temps, it would run rough for the first 10 seconds in gear.

Anyway, another month went by and they did an update to their software. I tried the AGG tune again for shits and giggles and it worked. I actually think my shifts improved in 2/3/4 gears. The AGG pops seem to act like anti-lag as the throttle is twice as touchy in the mid-rpm range. So far I love it.

I would recommend you head back to your tuner and ask them to reflash, OR reach out to BM3. I've been told they have great customer service.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

My F10 535i tuned with the Mission Performance stage 1 and catted downpipe would occasionally exhibit this behavior in manual mode. I do believe this issue is a combination of boost creep and the transmission torque converter slipping from too much torque. When the torque converter slips do you hear a clicking sound coming from the underside rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettalker View Post
So everytime i shift in manual mode, the car shifts right away but the power delivery is delayed.
Before the tune when i shift, it upshifted crisp and clean and power delivery was continuous.
Now it feels like i shift, and it shifts on time but it feels kind of like a slipping clutch because the power goes strong and when i switch gears it dies down or bogs and restarts making power again if that makes sense
Almost like a rubber band of power delivery.
Anyone else have this issue? Does this in both normal auto shifting or manuallyshifting in manual mode.

I am on stage 2 ots tune from boostmod3
I have catless downpipes and exhaust and intake.
Plugs were done not even 2k miles ago.
No leaks
And it cant be a heat related or fmic problem because it does this even on a cold night at proper oil temp level
Appreciate 0