2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Carbon fiber mirror covers installation on 535 F10

09-19-2019, 03:22 AM   #133
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Pics don't work
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #134
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Pics don't work
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
I think your pic links are broken.

I hear you on the splitters, it's not a full front lip, but more "accents" go on the m sport bumper. I personally like the look and had similar splitters on my F30. it's subtle, which is what I wanted.

I didn't notice any fitment issues on my real CF mirrors and none of the tabs were broken. Once your pics are fixed, I'll compare it to mine. I'm not as picky about perfect fitment, especially on things I can easily take off.
Tried using google photos, didn't work out. Fixed now, look at attached photos.

Yea I have a feeling I got returned stock, hence the fitment issues. I ordered from a different seller who offered free returns. If you could take some picks from the side so I can compare, that would be well appreciated. All these "real" carbon fiber mirror caps sell from pretty much the same warehouse anyhow, so hopefully the one I just ordered comes better.

On a side note, it's always funny when ebay sellers think their return descriptions override ebay return policy. The guy I ordered from states "20% restocking fee minimum if returning". First, the max you can even charge for a restocking fee is 20%, so the minimum part is BS. Second, ebay doesn't even let you charge a restocking fee anymore since 2018, so it makes the whole thing moot.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:35 AM   #135
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Tried using google photos, didn't work out. Fixed now, look at attached photos.

Yea I have a feeling I got returned stock, hence the fitment issues. I ordered from a different seller who offered free returns. If you could take some picks from the side so I can compare, that would be well appreciated. All these "real" carbon fiber mirror caps sell from pretty much the same warehouse anyhow, so hopefully the one I just ordered comes better.

On a side note, it's always funny when ebay sellers think their return descriptions override ebay return policy. The guy I ordered from states "20% restocking fee minimum if returning". First, the max you can even charge for a restocking fee is 20%, so the minimum part is BS. Second, ebay doesn't even let you charge a restocking fee anymore since 2018, so it makes the whole thing moot.
looks like you were sold a set that was used. probably that damaged when removed. weird to see broken tabs like that
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #136
BMW_driver_2008
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

I bought a set of OEM CF mirror caps from a forum member and they looked good but I liked the M4 style on eBay that was initially posted on the first page of this thread. They arrived and the inside of the winglet when I guess it was dipped bothered me like others here had mentioned. So I ordered the set that Thaibrun bought and fitted them today. For $20 more they are way better quality, heavy fit well and the shape and finish of the little winglet is much better than the cheaper $40 set. For those wanting M4 style I would recommend these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-Carbon...72.m2749.l2649

I now have an OEM CF set for sale for $300 if anyone is interested and the $40 eBay ones if anyone wants to try them for say half off plus postage.

I'm on an alpine white F10 and really dig the M4 style caps in CF.
Appreciate 1
ThaiBruin168.00
      09-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #137
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
looks like you were sold a set that was used. probably that damaged when removed. weird to see broken tabs like that
Yea, really doubtful it was damaged in shipping since it's on the inside of the mirror cap. You'd have to pretty much run over the box to break those tabs in delivery. I feel bad for the next person who they're likely to send these caps to.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #138
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

New ones came in shockingly fast. Shipped out of Taiwan on Friday, arrived this afternoon. So, definitely props for shipping speed for this seller. Didn't realize they were actually the M4 style ones.

I don't know which I like better, both have their pros and cons. M4 one has more angles and definition, but is a little bit bulkier to achieve that look. The non-M4 style ones have a more defined transition/line where it goes from front to top. On the quality side of things, I'd say these are better. M4 ones are a lot lighter than the other one, almost as light as the OEM caps and made of ABS like the OEM caps. Also has proper manufacture date stamp things, unlike the other ones. Carbon fiber pattern is similar quality.

I'm going to stick with the M4 ones to avoid the hassle of negotiating a return, but you can't really go wrong looks wise with both. Purchased here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M4-Style-Re...I/113846047212

Pictures attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
John H.221.00
      09-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #139
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
New ones came in shockingly fast. Shipped out of Taiwan on Friday, arrived this afternoon. So, definitely props for shipping speed for this seller. Didn't realize they were actually the M4 style ones.
they look sweet! they definitely look different than what I have just by looking at them. but not gonna fork over money for another set lol! i'll just have to make due with what I have unless they start to yellow but I don't think that will happen since my car stays parked in my garage
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #140
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
they look sweet! they definitely look different than what I have just by looking at them. but not gonna fork over money for another set lol! i'll just have to make due with what I have unless they start to yellow but I don't think that will happen since my car stays parked in my garage
Thanks! Yea they're growing on me. I'm a bit OCD about stuff like this so it would have driven me up the wall and back if the weave was wonky or the cover didn't fit well.

On a different node, the ebay seller for the set that didn't fit too well refunded the purchase without asking for the product back. If anyone is interested in them (these ONLY fit LCI F10's) and don't mind the minor fitment issues, I'll let them go for the low low price of free (plus price of shipping if you're not local, sorry!). PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #141
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks! Yea they're growing on me. I'm a bit OCD about stuff like this so it would have driven me up the wall and back if the weave was wonky or the cover didn't fit well.

On a different node, the ebay seller for the set that didn't fit too well refunded the purchase without asking for the product back. If anyone is interested in them (these ONLY fit LCI F10's) and don't mind the minor fitment issues, I'll let them go for the low low price of free (plus price of shipping if you're not local, sorry!). PM me if interested.
Are the ones you got the true 3D wet CF look? I bought some off of ebay and they were printed on plastic, 2 dimensional looking, and the printing was jacked up in some places with mold lines! Awful. They only refunded me 25 bucks.

Please let me know, i need to re-order some good ones.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #142
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Are the ones you got the true 3D wet CF look? I bought some off of ebay and they were printed on plastic, 2 dimensional looking, and the printing was jacked up in some places with mold lines! Awful. They only refunded me 25 bucks.

Please let me know, i need to re-order some good ones.
They look like real carbon fiber without the weird distortion lines fake printed ones have. If I had to guess, they were made by using a standard ABS mirror cap as a mold/backing, with a layer of actual CF laid over it, and then covered with a thick layer of resin. It's still not "real" carbon fiber technically, but is close enough for me that I don't care.

Definitely looks like the 3D CF stuff, when I move it under a light different strands have a brighter sheen than other strands.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #143
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Exactly! That is what I am looking for! I need to find that same brand for the pre lci mirrors. If you have a link that'd be great b
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #144
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Exactly! That is what I am looking for! I need to find that same brand for the pre lci mirrors. If you have a link that'd be great b
That's gonna be tough, I noticed that the pre-LCI mirrors didn't really return good results. Likely the factories that makes these (almost ALL ebay sellers for these kind of things buy from the same stock) switched to LCI production instead of pre-LCI.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #145
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Maybe it would be easier to switch out mirrors, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #146
MaximumFreckles
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i Msport

Two things.

I love the look of that sharper angle cover. That little dip at the top edge is eliminated, which has always bugged me a little bit.

The clearcoat on my driver side mirror cover from China has started to slightly bubble up in a few spots already. Highly unfortunate since I live in very perfect weather, and I have aonly had them a few months lol. Should I try and see if the seller will send me a new one? Or should I wait until the coronavirus stops spreading lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #147
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumFreckles View Post
Two things.

I love the look of that sharper angle cover. That little dip at the top edge is eliminated, which has always bugged me a little bit.

The clearcoat on my driver side mirror cover from China has started to slightly bubble up in a few spots already. Highly unfortunate since I live in very perfect weather, and I have aonly had them a few months lol. Should I try and see if the seller will send me a new one? Or should I wait until the coronavirus stops spreading lol.
You shouldn't wait because you gonna get some sick looking mirror caps. If you wait there is no guarantee they'll look sick.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #148
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumFreckles View Post
Two things.

Contact them for a warranty replacement, otherwise complain to ebay. Also, how is coronavirus related to any of this lol
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #149
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
...Also, how is coronavirus related to any of this lol
The virus will hitch a ride on the product fro China. It was probably a bit facetious.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #150
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
The virus will hitch a ride on the product fro China. It was probably a bit facetious.
It just seemed so random given the mode of transmission for the coronavirus lol
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #151
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I ordered the same CF mirror caps as Unspec (thanks for the ebay link) last Friday and they just came in! Shipped out of Cali to South FL. Now I have an excuse to wash my nasty car this weekend to install these. They look great.

I'll be sure to follow up with pictures.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #152
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally got a chance to wash the car today and pop these suckers on. They look very good, especially with my carbon black metallic. Took less than 5 min to do both with 3 pry tools
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #153
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

still loving these mirror caps!

Appreciate 3
      05-27-2020, 07:11 AM   #154
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So my driver's side mirror cover cracked right along the top seam of the mirror. We've had crazy rain the past few days in S. FL and I've had the mirrors folded when parked. I'm wondering if something hit it, as the other side is perfectly fine.

I'll try to post a pic when I have a chance later.
Appreciate 0