2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M5 Rear Diffuser Conversion

09-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

M5 Rear Diffuser Conversion

Greetings everyone, I am new to the community and have searched thoroughly for an exact answer to the question I have today about replacing my STOCK 2011 550i bumper (not m-sport) and converting it to the M5 rear bumper with the aggressive looking diffuser and real individualized quad exhausts. Now the questions I have are in regards to the fitment of a bumper like this on the car, what is required exhaust wise and what recommendations would you give to someone who still would like to maintain a relatively quiet exhaust but have the look. Any answers on a rough guesstimate in terms of cost would be appreciated as well. You will have to forgive me if this question has in fact been answered, I would just like to be certain if I am to do this that it works for my car for certain. I have attached photos of my current rear bumper below.

Thanks
Attached Images

09-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Here's mine. The MSPORT/M5 bumpers are identical. The only difference is the diffuser. The M5 diffuser the exhaust openings in the diffuser will actually sit more inside vs the MSPORT diffuser where the exhaust openings will sit more outward. I use to have a side by side comparison to show exactly what I mean but I can't find it.

I went back to part of my build thread i posted a couple years back. This is in regards to my aftermarket carbon fiber DTM diffuser I had purchased from a forum member. This diffuser is for a M5 as the exhaust openings sit more inward

Holy $hit balls this was a PITA! it took me 6 hours to put this Bitc* in! I don't know if it's because of my aftermarket MSPORT bumper or the diffuser itself? I've read other people have had the same issue. It just takes time and patience contorting the bumper and diffuser to line up. I used self tapping screws with neopene washers. Drilled the holes through the tabs and screwed the self tapping screws through. here are some photos. Bumper won't be installed until spring time but I wanted to see if it'll work.

i picked up the MSPORT rear bumper from a fellow forum member Dan1416 out of New Jersey but since i had a conference meeting out in PA i decided to pick this bumper while i was out there! that's twice i drove out there for some parts lol

fitment was on point! no gaps and everything lined up perfectly!

Picked up my bumper from the paint shop. So you can see how my stock exhaust the tip is pretty much touching the side of the diffuser because like I mentioned earlier the M5 exhaust openings sit more inward and that's why its touching.

here's my Meisterschaft exhaust

Waiting at the shop but here it is mocked up!

gettin welded

and done!

And here how she sits now with the custom diffuser tray based off the PSM design

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Here's my build thread in case you wanna get more info

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403629
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Here's my build thread in case you wanna get more info

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403629
Isturbo thanks for getting back to me! Your car looks Absolutely fantastic, I especially like the exhaust set up. My car is not the M-Sport spec So I do believe I would need an entirely new bumper assembly to get that look I'm going for. However I am curious as to the exhaust, knowing nothing about how it works and what exactly I need, would I be able to just have them cut off the old tips and weld on some new ones to get them to fit into the bumper housing if I am just going for the look and not the sound? Again thank you so much for the reply.
      09-18-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW550mike View Post
Isturbo thanks for getting back to me! Your car looks Absolutely fantastic, I especially like the exhaust set up. My car is not the M-Sport spec So I do believe I would need an entirely new bumper assembly to get that look I'm going for. However I am curious as to the exhaust, knowing nothing about how it works and what exactly I need, would I be able to just have them cut off the old tips and weld on some new ones to get them to fit into the bumper housing if I am just going for the look and not the sound? Again thank you so much for the reply.
My car is also not MSPORT spec. My 535i is a base model. I added the MSPORT rear bumper and side skirts. When you buy the MSPORT rear bumper it comes with everything you need. As far as the exhaust if you're leaving the OEM mufflers but just cutting off the tips you'll need to decide on what size tips you're going to use. There's a few sizes forum members have used from quad 3", 3.5" and 4". And depending on what diffuser you decide to go with you have to determine which configuration to get. There's two available and that would be the "Y" and the "h" staggered tips. Like I mentioned before if you are using your OEM mufflers you will need to get a diffuser for the MSPORT and use whatever size tips bit those tips would need to be using a "Y" configuration. If you decide to go with a M5 diffuser you will most likely need to use a "h" configuration. You will need to have the bumper installed as well as the diffuser for the muffler shop to make the necessary adjustments for the tips to be centered of the exhaust openings of the diffuser or it won't look right. You confused me since you stated that your doing a quad exhaust but now you're saying you're just cutting off the tips and welding new one's?

Like many of us you really need to spend some time researching this from what members have done. There's quite a bit of examples if you search. Ill be honest...it doesn't make sense to me if you're trying to go for an aggressive look if you're keeping the stock exhaust? Good luck

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 09-18-2019 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:24 AM   #6
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW550mike View Post
My car is also not MSPORT spec. My 535i is a base model. I added the MSPORT rear bumper and side skirts. When you buy the MSPORT rear bumper it comes with everything you need. As far as the exhaust if you're leaving the OEM mufflers but just cutting off the tips you'll need to decide on what size tips you're going to use. There's a few sizes forum members have used from quad 3", 3.5" and 4". And depending on what diffuser you decide to go with you have to determine which configuration to get. There's two available and that would be the "Y" and the "h" staggered tips. Like I mentioned before if you are using your OEM mufflers you will need to get a diffuser for the MSPORT and use whatever size tips bit those tips would need to be using a "Y" configuration. If you decide to go with a M5 diffuser you will most likely need to use a "h" configuration. You will need to have the bumper installed as well as the diffuser for the muffler shop to make the necessary adjustments for the tips to be centered of the exhaust openings of the diffuser or it won't look right. You confused me since you stated that your doing a quad exhaust but now you're saying you're just cutting off the tips and welding new one's?

Like many of us you really need to spend some time researching this from what members have done. There's quite a bit of examples if you search. Ill be honest...it doesn't make sense to me if you're trying to go for an aggressive look if you're keeping the stock exhaust? Good luck
Yeah man I understand. What I meant was that the 550 already appears to have the quad exhaust, it's just the exhaust tip that blends the two together so I meant cut off the tip itself (the chrome bit that looks like a trapezoid) and weld on some new tips so that it looks right when placed in with the new bumper. Other than that I'm clear on everything else. I really appreciate your help
      09-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

That exhaust setup is absolutely beautiful!
Appreciate 0