2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Making Music

01-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Making Music

Hey guys, I recently got my hands on a M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2 for cheap and wanted to start messing around on my macbook to make beats. Here's the question: what program should I use? I'm asking b/c I hate learning on a program and then having to re-learn because I'm limited by the program (i.e. iMovie 6 -> FCP or iPhoto->Lightroom). I'd rather just take a little time a learn on the proper program. I know we have a lot of music heads and DJs here so I figured I'd ask. I can start on Garageband but I know most included Apple programs aren't enough
      01-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

many DJs use ableton. then there is the industry standard Protools. i have used ableton for a few times but stopped because i dont have an external interface and proper set up. for the protools, you would have to buy a protools compatible hardware/interface to use with the software, otherwise, you wont be able to open protools. but i dont think you can go wrong with the protools though because it is widely used. there are many other software. there may be some others that i did not mention that can even do more or just as much but these two are very common.

also, just to make you aware, you should also check the compatibility/support of the oxygen with the program and the OS that you are going to decide to use because it can be a pain assigning all of the knobs and buttons and trying to make your program recognize oxygen.

hope this helps you start. sorry if i cant give you anything more specific than this. my brother has an oxygen and we sometimes record with ableton in his laptop and it is a hassle setting everything up because we dont have a permanent station for it. good luck and have fun.
      01-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
chango335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 35i Luxury, C450 AMG

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [0.00]
I would just go with Protools. Make sure u also get the external hardware for it otherwise the software won't work. Protools is the industry standard used for audio mixing/video editing.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

I'm glad you want to learn the professional software instead of the easy one. I wish someone had told me that before

I would suggest either Ableton or Logic. I use both. Just starting out in logic but pretty advanced in Ableton. I mostly use Ableton for remixing but if you wanna produce a song from scratch I would recommend Logic. Haven't used protools but it's up there with logic and Cubase.

My advice is stay away from FL studio. It may look fun and easy but once you learn it you're gonna run into big problems advancing in it. Take my advice. Learn the professional program instead of the easier one. Ya it may be harder but it pays off in the end.

I learned photoshop and final cut pro and am very glad I did. I also wanted to learn 3D modeling but unfortunately took the wrong path and went for the easier to use program. Trust me you don't wanna do that. Especially if there isn't a lot of support for it from 3rd party developers.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I'm glad you want to learn the professional software instead of the easy one. I wish someone had told me that before

I would suggest either Ableton or Logic. I use both. Just starting out in logic but pretty advanced in Ableton. I mostly use Ableton for remixing but if you wanna produce a song from scratch I would recommend Logic. Haven't used protools but it's up there with logic and Cubase.

My advice is stay away from FL studio. It may look fun and easy but once you learn it you're gonna run into big problems advancing in it. Take my advice. Learn the professional program instead of the easier one. Ya it may be harder but it pays off in the end.

I learned photoshop and final cut pro and am very glad I did. I also wanted to learn 3D modeling but unfortunately took the wrong path and went for the easier to use program. Trust me you don't wanna do that. Especially if there isn't a lot of support for it from 3rd party developers.
+1. if you want to be serious go for the professional program. if you will use ableton or something similar, it would help to learn about mixers. also try to read about proper gain structure so you dont end up with crappy recordings that distort even in low volume. these programs kinda work like real mixers except digitalized. the way you will route signals to channels would be very similar. pick up one of those yamaha sound reinforcement book as a reference.

...to BHD...
i learned google sketch up some years ago. the thing is easy to use but pretty limited. i regret getting stuck with it for my first two years of architecture. try rhino, auto CAD 2007 or later, or 3ds max instead. maybe a little harder to learn but these programs are really powerful.
      02-01-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
If you don't plan on stealing software, Logic Express is a good start. It's $199 and you can upgrade to Logic Studio later only paying the difference. You won't have to relearn anything when upgrading from Express to Pro/Studio. You just gain more features.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the reply! I got Ableton live (they have a trial) but feel like I'm really over my head. I realized that I know ZERO about music and that trying to get whats in my head onto the computer is one of the most difficult things I've ever experienced. I thought most loops/instruments are included in the program and oh how wrong I was.

That being said, where should I start trying to learn about music? LOL I know that's a horrible question to ask but I really know no other way.

I honestly just want to mess around and make hip hop beats, is logic better? Like I said, I'm starting from zero so whatever program I learn I will stick with, it's just that Ableton is so foreign to me. I doubt I'll ever be some super producer so I'm not worried what program to use I just want to be able to translate my thoughts properly. Thanks!
      02-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
Thanks for the reply! I got Ableton live (they have a trial) but feel like I'm really over my head. I realized that I know ZERO about music and that trying to get whats in my head onto the computer is one of the most difficult things I've ever experienced. I thought most loops/instruments are included in the program and oh how wrong I was.

That being said, where should I start trying to learn about music? LOL I know that's a horrible question to ask but I really know no other way.

I honestly just want to mess around and make hip hop beats, is logic better? Like I said, I'm starting from zero so whatever program I learn I will stick with, it's just that Ableton is so foreign to me. I doubt I'll ever be some super producer so I'm not worried what program to use I just want to be able to translate my thoughts properly. Thanks!
one way to start is to take an audio fundamental/ recording class or something similar. a real mixer is intimidating at first, so is a digitalized one. i remember being lost, confused, and frustrated the first time i used ableton so i understand how foreign ableton can be. and that's me with more or less than 5 years of using a real mixer.

another way is to pick up an audio/recording book and go through it yourself. you can go to a bookstore and browse through them or ask somebody in a pro audio store about one. i think it is important that you understand music theory (matching tempo/timing/progression...know the rules so you know how to break them) and audio fundamentals (proper signal chain and routing/effects...). it will really help you understand the software interface and help you translate your thoughts properly. if you dont know enough audio fundamentals you will encounter problems and you wont have any idea what is happening... like signals from tracks canceling each other and so on.

there would be other ways to get around this but i highly suggest taking some classes if you have the time.
      02-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Mac/Windows split and FL Studio 8/9.

Easiest software to pick up quickly. Or Reason or Logic.

Protools is a bitch to get used to, but has a nice sound selection.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Mac/Windows split and FL Studio 8/9.

Easiest software to pick up quickly. Or Reason or Logic.

Protools is a bitch to get used to, but has a nice sound selection.
I can't say Reason is even in the same category as FL Studio when you are considering ease of use...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
I can't say Reason is even in the same category as FL Studio when you are considering ease of use...
I wasnt't saying it was easy to use. I was suggesting it as other software.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
I wasnt't saying it was easy to use. I was suggesting it as other software.
oh nvm then.
Appreciate 0