2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Law question

02-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Law question

Hey guys, I need a little help with a car-related law.

I have a Lexus RX300 and after many(10) years of service, the seat belts(front) have decided to stop retracting. Thus everytime I get out, I have to manually feed it in.

I posted this problem onto Clublexus, and many said that its a federal law that "car restraint system problems must be addressed and fixed by the dealer"

Obviously I no longer have warranty, but the same club lexus members said that this law works forever???

I doubt that this is true.

So, Does a law exist? Does it cover seat belts? Forever?

Thanks in advance!

Btw, the belts still tense up fine if I pull very hard so i still feel somewhat safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post
Hey guys, I need a little help with a car-related law.

I have a Lexus RX300 and after many(10) years of service, the seat belts(front) have decided to stop retracting. Thus everytime I get out, I have to manually feed it in.

I posted this problem onto Clublexus, and many said that its a federal law that "car restraint system problems must be addressed and fixed by the dealer"

Obviously I no longer have warranty, but the same club lexus members said that this law works forever???

I doubt that this is true.

So, Does a law exist? Does it cover seat belts? Forever?

Thanks in advance!

Btw, the belts still tense up fine if I pull very hard so i still feel somewhat safe.
I know Honda/Acura have lifetime warranties on their seatbelts covering them from malfunctions. Don't know about Toyota/Lexus
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Honda/Acura definitely have lifetime warranties on the seatbelts. I think Toyota is 10 years, and after that they will still cover the part but you'll have to pay for the labor. Don't quote me on that though.

I'd call Toyota customer service before heading off to the dealer so you know the corporate policy. You can use that knowledge to your advantage at the dealer. There are several DIY tricks out there to fix retracting seatbelts too.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0