2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Cooking Oils

01-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #23
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
So, the fats that we've evolutionarily evolved on for literally millions of years, fats that are identical to the ones we make and store in our own bodies are unhealthy to consume, but fats that we as a species have never eaten until the last few years, extracted by being dissolved with Hexane and industrially refined in plants that look exactly like petroleum refineries are good for you. "It just cannot be", that is a result of brainwashing and constant barrage of advertisements.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #24
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 (Totaled)

Mate our life expectancy was 40 not all that long ago. Rates of heart disease have dropped since we identified animal fat as an issue. It coagulates right in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #25
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
In the past large numbers of ppl died in infancy or of traumatic injury or infectious diseases, life expectancy has increased largely because we have better pre and neo natal care and antibiotics as well as trauma surgery. Before the advent of man made oils ischemic heart disease was a relative rarity, it's only in the past 100 yrs or so it has reached epidemic proportions. You're looking at saturated fats and seeing them "coagulate right in front of you" and extrapolating that the fats you eat go directly into your arteries and coagulate causing blockages, but that's not how metabolism works, at all. A large % of your body mass is made up of these very same "coagulated" fats, why would your body produce and store them instead of producing high ALA polyunsaturates?
You've identified processed foods in a box as being unhealthy, and you're correct, and one of the things that makes them so unhealthy is they're in large part comprised of these man made fats. There is nothing consumed that is as highly processed as these oils which are extracted and refined with toxic solvents and ultra high heat levels. If you're still of the belief that animal fats are unhealthy and don't want to eat them at least replace them with olive and coconut oil (coconut oil is the most highly saturated fat of all), you're poisoning your mitochondria with canola, soybean, corn, etc oils.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 02:42 PM   #26
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 (Totaled)

I use olive oil 90% of the time, only use canola when i use a higher heat. I'm Maltese, they don't give you a fluffy toy as a baby, they give you a bottle of olive oil. And yes I carry both extra virgin (dressing) and light (cooking)

On eggs, I find breakfast a tricky meal as most everything has sugar in great quantities. Of the 7 days a week, I do 2 days of a low fat, low sugar yoghurt with berries nd a bit of granola, again low sugar and low fat one (some are truly nasty!!). Bread is totally out so I can't eat that so I revert to egg white omelet with a shit ton of spinach, some mushrooms and maybe a touch of really lean ham. I use green onions for flavour, bit of pink salt too.

I share this with my mrs so maybe I am OK to use one egg between us? That'd be about 3 to 4 eggs a week, that sound ok? The one egg between us really changes the flavour, it is much more appetizing and I find if I load it with mushrooms and spinach i don't snack at all right through to lunch.

Last edited by Alfisti; 01-27-2022 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2585.00
      01-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #27
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I use olive oil 90% of the time, only use canola when i use a higher heat. I'm Maltese, they don't give you a fluffy toy as a baby, they give you a bottle of olive oil. And yes I carry both extra virgin (dressing) and light (cooking)

On eggs, I find breakfast a tricky meal as most everything has sugar in great quantities. Of the 7 days a week, I do 2 days of a low fat, low sugar yoghurt with berries nd a bit of granola, again low sugar and low fat one (some are truly nasty!!). Bread is totally out so I can't eat that so I revert to egg white omelet with a shit ton of spinach, some mushrooms and maybe a touch of really lean ham. I use green onions for flavour, bit of pink salt too.

I share this with my mrs so maybe I am OK to use one egg between us? That'd be about 3 to 4 eggs a week, that sound ok? The one egg between us really changes the flavour, it is much more appetizing and I find if I load it with mushrooms and spinach i don't snack at all right through to lunch.
Haha touche

In this statement is the glimmer of the understanding that is the difference between achieving your goals while enjoying life, and kicking water uphill while making yourself miserable. Satiety is the key, and there is nothing satiating like fats. Things like low fat yogurt and granola are counterproductive, the're broken down almost immediately into glucose which raises your blood sugar and more importantly insulin levels, guaranteeing that you'll be hungry again within the hour. By the same token, dietary cholesterol is almost completely divorced from high serum cholesterol, which is almost entirely due to high insulin levels. Fats are your friend and organic pastured eggs are one of the healthiest, nutrient dense foods that you can eat, your body can make good use of far more than 3 or 4 a week.

These concepts are not new, I began my journey of understanding with a book written 150 yeas ago, it's the forerunner of the current keto/low carb movements and it absolutely works as well now as it did for the author.

Letter on Corpulence, Addressed to the Public
Third Edition
~William Banting
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1993.tb00605.x

Personal anecdote: I spent most of my life fat and puffy despite trying so hard to follow guidelines and eat and exercise the way I was taught was healthy. I was 50lb overweight with horrible blood markers and all my efforts only made me miserable from lack of satiety and depressed from lack of results. When I finally realized all the things I was taught were either well intentioned but incorrect information or bald faced lies designed to make me consume products and started eating real, whole, high fat foods all that changed. All my peers at this age are still fat and puffy, while I enjoy every meal and am at BMI of 22 with perfect bloodwork markers including cholesterol, despite eating 8-10 eggs a week and copious amounts of bacon.

It would be a good use of your time to watch this video along with all the others on this guy's channel, even if you reject it there's a lot of perspective to be gained.

Best wishes to you on your health journey and a healthy, happy life!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 04:49 PM   #28
chassis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4

Garage List
What is wrong with bread? Serious question. Home made bread is flour, water, salt and yeast. If you include it in your calorie budget, itís all good right?

Also there should be more discussion about exercise.

If you eat 3000 calories per day of healthy food, as defined by several people in this thread, but your body and lifestyle burn only 2400 calories per day, you have a surplus of 600 calories per day which over time turns into weight gain. Thoughts?

Quality and quantity and exercise. If you want to skip exercise you must reduce your caloric intake.
Appreciate 0