2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 535i M Performance exhaust story?

01-28-2024, 10:30 AM   #1
nicolebuldo
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive Touring F11

535i M Performance exhaust story?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone here knew the story behind the end of production of the 535i M Performance exhaust?

I read somewhere that BMW stopped producing them because of an update to a regulation...
Was this a noise regulation or an emission one?

Does someone know when they stopped and when they ran out of stock?

There are reports on a F06/F12/F13 french forum about BMW still having 640i M Performance exhaust on stock but not being allowed to ship (!)

I am wondering because it looks like the M Performance exhaust for the 550i is still available from BMW, so does it mean this one is quieter and still meets the requirements from this updated regulation?

Very interested to hear more about this if someone has information to share!

Last edited by nicolebuldo; 01-28-2024 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 12:29 PM   #2
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I first became aware that the MPE was discontinued for the 535 (F10) about 1-1/2 yrs ago. So it has been at least that long.

I'm interested to hear the "backstory" on this as well. I hope someone chimes in.

FWIW, used MPE can still be found online (I think there's actually a listing for one now on this forum)

I got lucky on my "new-to-me" BMW purchase as it came with MPE. It's loudest on cold starts but otherwise is not too bad at all. Has a good throaty sound, imo. Many out there claim a bit of a drone at higher cruising speeds. I don't notice it so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:11 PM   #3
nicolebuldo
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive Touring F11

I had no idea they were discontinued when I searched for my F11, so I went for a car with fancy options thinking I would get aftermarket MPE... Should definitely have done more research on this before buying my F11!

Also, the 535i is almost a unicorn in Europe, because a large majority of F10/F11 sold there were diesels... I'll have to find a used set of MPE in the US and figure out a way to get them across the Atlantic!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:31 PM   #4
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolebuldo View Post
I had no idea they were discontinued when I searched for my F11, so I went for a car with fancy options thinking I would get aftermarket MPE... Should definitely have done more research on this before buying my F11!

Also, the 535i is almost a unicorn in Europe, because a large majority of F10/F11 sold there were diesels... I'll have to find a used set of MPE in the US and figure out a way to get them across the Atlantic!
I don't think the MPE was a real common option selected in the U.S. on the (F10) 535s. MPPSK even less so (M Performance Power & Sound Kit). . The 5 series tend to be marketed towards the older "executive guy" crowd. Much nicer interior options w/ bells and whistles tho vs the 3-series, imo.

Sound is pretty subjective. There may be some readily available 3rd party aftermarket exhaust systems that you would find to your liking.

If you're dead set on going with the M Performance Exhaust (I think BMW did a nice job with it, and love mine) then there are definitely options out there for ya in the U.S. used parts markets. I see listings for (F10) MPE come up from time to time. It hasn't got to the point of "unicorn" status just yet.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:59 PM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

There are multiple versions of the 535 MPE with different part numbers. I have been casually curious about the differences for a while but haven't nailed it down just yet. I have run across a trove of online information for non-5 MPEs which assert that the US version of MPEs is loud and sporty and the non-US version of MPEs is barely different than stock - for noise regulation reasons. There was some discrepancy in these threads which version Canada got - whether if you ordered on the car you got "Euro spec", but if you bought the part afterwards you got "US spec".

This clicked with me - I've seen plenty of E and F cars which visually have MPEs but don't sound any different. My MPE definitely sounds nothing like stock.

My F10 MPE was only the "current" part number in my market for 1 year, after which it was revised. They seemed to change the way tips were sold and bundled, possibly so they could have a greater market selling tips separately.

In general I have found that F10 MPE owners are few and far between, and, if you can find one, generally have no idea what part they have.

I have pn 18-30-2-293-447

I'm also looking to try a second hand set of Dinan mufflers and keep whichever I like best
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 08:12 PM   #6
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
There are multiple versions of the 535 MPE with different part numbers. I have been casually curious about the differences for a while but haven't nailed it down just yet. I have run across a trove of online information for non-5 MPEs which assert that the US version of MPEs is loud and sporty and the non-US version of MPEs is barely different than stock - for noise regulation reasons. There was some discrepancy in these threads which version Canada got - whether if you ordered on the car you got "Euro spec", but if you bought the part afterwards you got "US spec".

This clicked with me - I've seen plenty of E and F cars which visually have MPEs but don't sound any different. My MPE definitely sounds nothing like stock.

My F10 MPE was only the "current" part number in my market for 1 year, after which it was revised. They seemed to change the way tips were sold and bundled, possibly so they could have a greater market selling tips separately.

In general I have found that F10 MPE owners are few and far between, and, if you can find one, generally have no idea what part they have.

I have pn 18-30-2-293-447

I'm also looking to try a second hand set of Dinan mufflers and keep whichever I like best
Hey, ^this^ is me (@ no idea what part# I have)...lol
At least now I have an excuse to get down onto the wet driveway and crawl underneath the back of my car.

FWIW,
U.S. Delivery
15' 535i w/ MPE installed by Dealer (not factory).
Part# 18-30-2-354-362 [(*-365) Left muffler | (*-366) Right muffler] and it looks like this was produced from 7/2013 - ? whereas Part# 18-30-2-293-447 was in production from 2/12 to 8/13.

Interesting.... & Good Stuff!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 09:15 PM   #7
Bmxpert86
Registered
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW 535i xdrive M sport

The M performance exhaust was an optional add on for the car when buying it or after? Not put on from the factory for the M sport package? I’m new to the F10 community, well I had a 528ix for a few years but it was just a daily I didn’t really get into the forums with that car(still have it) I had an 04 e46 M3 6mt that I was in the forums a lot when I had that, biggest regret selling that car now that I could of made 15-25k more than what I gave it away for, and it was my favorite car I always think about. I just bought a 16 white 535i Xdrive M sport. It’s extremely quiet and I have some plans for the car, just wondering if it came with M performance exhaust since it’s the M sport package? I doubt it because of how quiet the car is.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 11:19 PM   #8
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxpert86 View Post
The M performance exhaust was an optional add on for the car when buying it or after? Not put on from the factory for the M sport package? I’m new to the F10 community, well I had a 528ix for a few years but it was just a daily I didn’t really get into the forums with that car(still have it) I had an 04 e46 M3 6mt that I was in the forums a lot when I had that, biggest regret selling that car now that I could of made 15-25k more than what I gave it away for, and it was my favorite car I always think about. I just bought a 16 white 535i Xdrive M sport. It’s extremely quiet and I have some plans for the car, just wondering if it came with M performance exhaust since it’s the M sport package? I doubt it because of how quiet the car is.
04' (E46) M3? Nice! Your story reminds me of a great girlfriend I had once who got away.

Congrats on the "new-to-me" 16' 535ix M Sport!
I really like the styling of the M Sport F10s.

So, "M Sport" on the F10s is mostly all aesthetic features. The exception being with the staggered tires the car is lowered 2" (I think?), and the suspension is slightly stiffer.
MPE (M Performance Exhaust) & MPPK (M Performance Power Kit) were additional options.
MPPSK (M Performance Power & Sound Kit) = Both

MPPK provides a modest tune (~25 - 30 hp boost and 30 torque). Somewhere in that neighborhood, at least, I don't remember exactly.
MPE does not provide a power boost and is all sound "improvement".

Best way to tell what you have is to pull the part numbers off of your mufflers. Other ways are by the sound during cold start or checking the tips of your exhaust (there should be an ///M logo); however, the tips are not a guarantee.

M Sport Brakes are another "M Sport" item that was an additional option and not part of the M Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 04:28 AM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcarbonari View Post

So, "M Sport" on the F10s is mostly all aesthetic features. The exception being with the staggered tires the car is lowered 2" (I think?), and the suspension is slightly stiffer.
Thanks for summarizing a lot of the above in one place. An addition to ^^ this bit...

ONLY the fairly rare option 704 cars have suspension and ride height that differ. Option 704 is optional on RWD only and has 10mm lower ride height. Not even 1/2". It can be spotted on the road, but does not make a huge difference. Other than this, the "M Sport" package on the F10 is 100% cosmetic - M logos everywhere, shift knob, steering wheel, door sills, bumper skins, wheels. All desirable, but not impacting to the driving experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 08:11 AM   #10
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for summarizing a lot of the above in one place. An addition to ^^ this bit...

ONLY the fairly rare option 704 cars have suspension and ride height that differ. Option 704 is optional on RWD only and has 10mm lower ride height. Not even 1/2". It can be spotted on the road, but does not make a huge difference. Other than this, the "M Sport" package on the F10 is 100% cosmetic - M logos everywhere, shift knob, steering wheel, door sills, bumper skins, wheels. All desirable, but not impacting to the driving experience.
Yay! ^This^ is me again @ Option 704 - M Sport Suspension (<1/2")
Surly73 Thank You for the clarification & correction!
The world of BMW Option Deciphering can be a confusing place for newbies like me.

The ///M logo on the foot rest is my favorite location (for absolute uselessness).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 04:03 PM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yay! ^This^ is me again @ Option 704 - M Sport Suspension (<1/2")
Surly73 Thank You for the clarification & correction!
The world of BMW Option Deciphering can be a confusing place for newbies like me.
6MT or 8AT?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 07:13 PM   #12
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
6MT or 8AT?
8AT

SAT Optioned but I'm entirely unsure if that makes a difference other than the paddles & sport+ mode

Last edited by ctcarbonari; 01-29-2024 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:40 PM   #13
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
I paid 800 for a used M Sport steering wheel and 800 for used M Sport Brembo calipers but I just couldn't do 1k for a used M Sport exhaust, gotta get them door sills tho missed that one.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2024, 06:40 AM   #14
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
8AT

SAT Optioned but I'm entirely unsure if that makes a difference other than the paddles & sport+ mode
I was about to get really jealous if it was 6MT. SAT (option 2TB) does/can make a significant difference in transmission coding and mapping.

If you have the budget, you might really like xHP combined with the MPE and your overall package. Of the list of things I've done to my 535 over the years, xHP is my second favourite, losing only to the KWs. I would give up my engine tune before xHP if I was forced. I miss my MTs.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 09:12 AM   #15
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
I was about to get really jealous if it was 6MT. SAT (option 2TB) does/can make a significant difference in transmission coding and mapping.

If you have the budget, you might really like xHP combined with the MPE and your overall package. Of the list of things I've done to my 535 over the years, xHP is my second favourite, losing only to the KWs. I would give up my engine tune before xHP if I was forced. I miss my MTs.
There's a guy on another forum who has a 6MT & DHP. All of his friends want his car when he's ready to sell it. I had thought I was going to love the paddle shifters when I purchased my 535i but I find the&m to be a bit underwhelming. MPE & HUD have been the two enjoyable surprises.

I've never read a negative post about xHP. Everyone seems to LOVE it. And yes, it's on my wish list. I gotta get thru PM items this spring then get this Wagner IC & ER CP's installed. (They've been staring at me every time I go out to garage....lol)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:33 PM   #16
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I had thought I was going to love the paddle shifters when I purchased my 535i but I find the&m to be a bit underwhelming. MPE & HUD have been the two enjoyable surprises.
I miss my MT, no doubt about it. I only run my MPE in the summer. I find it drones in the cabin driving on the highway with windows closed, which is all the time in the winter. Drone was actually the reason I started digging into the different MPE part numbers after I got it. The Internet is full of F10 MPE owners who "can't tell a difference" with the windows up, and their wives fall asleep in the passenger seat etc... but it is quite different for me. So different I figured there might be multiple versions, and behold there are.

For summer, I change some settings in xHP and MHD, install MPE and fit PS4Ss and it's a whole different car. I find I drive in manual a fair bit in that configuration and it really makes a difference. It's not so much about the paddles, but back to selecting the gear you want for yourself for both sound track and throttle response. It's much more engaging - paddles or knob.

My HUD is turned off 99.99% of the time.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2024, 03:09 PM   #17
Double Nickel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10  [10.00]
I don't wanna go left on your exhaust post but XHP is where it's at no doubt, and back to the exhaust I paid I think 500 for my valvetronic mufflers and 100 on a Magnaflow X, open valves wit the X really take care of a lot of that drone imo should do the same on a MPE.
Appreciate 1