2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums USA - California Rain in LA, SOAKED drivers floor
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
mdriver2
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Rain in LA, SOAKED drivers floor

So car was out in the rain all night and I notice soaked carpet at the driver's floor. What's a rock solid process for checking clogged sunroof drains? What tools and technique is used because that seems to be the easiest thing to check first.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #2
335socal
Captain
64
Rep
732
Posts

Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: National city

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriver2 View Post
So car was out in the rain all night and I notice soaked carpet at the driver's floor. What's a rock solid process for checking clogged sunroof drains? What tools and technique is used because that seems to be the easiest thing to check first.
Hot water and vacuume.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Same here but mine us on the rear passenger side. I have about a couple inches of water.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
cartechfreak
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 13' Dark Graphite 528i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
Same here but mine us on the rear passenger side. I have about a couple inches of water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
Same here but mine us on the rear passenger side. I have about a couple inches of water.
Same here😞
__________________
PSK
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
ey2001
Lieutenant
ey2001's Avatar
129
Rep
456
Posts

Drives: F10 535i 6spd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: la

iTrader: (0)

Did you guys find the leak?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Colonel
United_States
746
Rep
2,590
Posts

Drives: 2014 535i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Did you guys find the leak?
Usually the drain tube separates from the nipple at the sunroof. I've read about zip-tying the tube back onto the nipple.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
mdriver2
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I spent the morning investigating and it turns out it's not the sunroof. I was able to isolate it to the rear door behind the driver. If you pour water onto the glass it looks like it comes out the bottom of the door dripping into the car right where the interior light is at the bottom of the door. I was able to actually pull the interior door trim out by a millimeter and a bunch of water came pouring out. Where can I buy a new Vapor Barrier online? Because I didn't see any on pelicanparts.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Colonel
United_States
746
Rep
2,590
Posts

Drives: 2014 535i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriver2 View Post
I spent the morning investigating and it turns out it's not the sunroof. I was able to isolate it to the rear door behind the driver. If you pour water onto the glass it looks like it comes out the bottom of the door dripping into the car right where the interior light is at the bottom of the door. I was able to actually pull the interior door trim out by a millimeter and a bunch of water came pouring out. Where can I buy a new Vapor Barrier online? Because I didn't see any on pelicanparts.
Is the vapor barrier intact? If so you can just get some butyl "tape" and reseal the barrier (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fabral-1...40BT/207149821). Just be VERY careful as that stuff is VERY sticky and WILL stain anything it touches.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
mdriver2
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I didn't even take the door apart because I didn't want to go through the effort unless I had some replacement part. But it's a good point to look for any breaking the barrier I like the tape idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #10
335socal
Captain
64
Rep
732
Posts

Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: National city

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriver2 View Post
I didn't even take the door apart because I didn't want to go through the effort unless I had some replacement part. But it's a good point to look for any breaking the barrier I like the tape idea.
That came from the moonroof area to the hose that runs down to the pillars. Un clogg your drains by the front doors hingea and also the drain on each side of the transmission...... hot water and blow it out....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 01:10 AM   #11
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I need to do mine. My interior gauges and lights are not working now. Just got done pumping the water out and then it took 6 towels to dry up the rest.

Hopefully i have a blown fuse but i am still researching.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #12
335socal
Captain
64
Rep
732
Posts

Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: National city

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
I need to do mine. My interior gauges and lights are not working now. Just got done pumping the water out and then it took 6 towels to dry up the rest.

Hopefully i have a blown fuse but i am still researching.
I hope its not your FRM module which is located inside the plastic trim where the hood release is.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
mdriver2
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335socal View Post
That came from the moonroof area to the hose that runs down to the pillars. Un clogg your drains by the front doors hingea and also the drain on each side of the transmission...... hot water and blow it out....

My issue is not Moon roof. I was able to test the moon roof drain flow. My issue is within the rear door itself where the water is going into the window and into the door and finding its way to the interior of the door. I received my butyl tape so will be taking apart the door soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #14
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I hear thunder in south OC, lets see if my drains are clogged, took me 4 days to dry it last time. Might go driving in the rain with a rain coat on. "that BMW life"
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #15
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sweet no leaks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #16
ey2001
Lieutenant
ey2001's Avatar
129
Rep
456
Posts

Drives: F10 535i 6spd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: la

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
Sweet no leaks!
Nice... just curious... your drain hose was clogged? If so how did you drain it?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #17
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Mine was clogged, i bought the hand siphon kit from autozone. I used water and small reducer and forced water in the clogged drain. Mine was clogged on the passenger side.
Appreciate 1
ey2001128.50

      02-04-2019, 12:02 AM   #18
ey2001
Lieutenant
ey2001's Avatar
129
Rep
456
Posts

Drives: F10 535i 6spd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: la

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
Mine was clogged, i bought the hand siphon kit from autozone. I used water and small reducer and forced water in the clogged drain. Mine was clogged on the passenger side.
Do you have a pic?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #19
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
https://m.autozone.com/test-scan-and...kit/403430_0_0
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #20
ey2001
Lieutenant
ey2001's Avatar
129
Rep
456
Posts

Drives: F10 535i 6spd
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: la

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
thanks!! I think I found the hose on my volvo... I had water leaks...

Last edited by ey2001; 02-04-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #21
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
That link should do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #22
svt1998gt
Private First Class
54
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Celebrated too fast, guess its still leaking. Going to take a look under it, i think it got better as it was slightly wet and not flooded like a pond.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST