2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Charge Pipe

08-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Charge Pipe

I've been running MHD Stage 1 on my 2011 since early spring.

I would like to something about the charge pipe to protect against failure because I can imagine that blowing the sensor out at an inopportune time could be stranding and I don't want to deal with that.

I've seen at least one thread about strengthening the sensor mount with epoxy, the search reveal several aftermarket charge pipes out there, but I haven't come across to many head-to-head comparisions.

I don't expect performance gains, I just don't want it to fly apart. I'd like quality construction, nice fit and finish (with no fast-n-furious looks), and easy installation with no grinding, hammering, cutting or bending of other parts of my engine bay. I don't believe any emission inspections in my area will care (unlike California). I don't want to pay more than I have to to meet these objectives.

Thoughts? Anyone ever lost a CP on stage 1?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Personally haven't had one or heard of anyone I know blow a charge pipe, but it's happened. Its pretty much just preventative maintenance. You're probably gonna have to upgrade it sometime in the future anyways, so why not do it now and save yourself some stress.

I'd look into the ER charge pipe, they have a glossy black painted option that looks very nice and stealthy in the engine bay. Its an upcharge vs an unpainted version, but imo worth it. Charge pipe is very visible in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer Evolution Racewerks and VRSF charge pipe. Both fit just like stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Seems like they're infamous for breaking on n54s but questionable on n55s.

If you're mostly concerned about the sensor, I don't know that an aftermarket option will have a better sensor mount. You might have to reinforce either way if you're especially concerned about that.

I went with VRSF through Mike, seemed like a good enough value and, to your point, might not make a difference - especially at just stage 1 - but at least I don't need to worry about being stranded at some point.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Seems like they're infamous for breaking on n54s but questionable on n55s.

If you're mostly concerned about the sensor, I don't know that an aftermarket option will have a better sensor mount. You might have to reinforce either way if you're especially concerned about that.

I went with VRSF through Mike, seemed like a good enough value and, to your point, might not make a difference - especially at just stage 1 - but at least I don't need to worry about being stranded at some point.
Thanks to all who have responded so far - I'll just follow up to a couple of things in this one post....

To confirm - not expecting any performance difference here.

The aftermarket options I would be considering would be aluminum, the factory unit is plastic. This is the basis on which I expect the sensor mount to be superior - metal vs plastic. Of course the aluminum ones probably heat soak worse etc...etc...

So far, I haven't heard any real differences between any of the brands available other than possibly finish options.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I'm in the market for a CP and it really does come down to aluminum over plastic. And the only reason from what I gather is just the OEM CP is prone to cracking. It's really up to you and how much you want to pay as all aftermarket CP's only do one thing
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
nwob
Private
Rep
Drives: 13' 535i

I have been stage 2(f10 n55 2013) tuned for 30k miles and am still on my stock charge pipe. It's always been good practice to swap it out for an aluminum one but honestly, for me I think if mine was going to blow it would already have happened.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
Oreen0
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Personally haven't had one or heard of anyone I know blow a charge pipe, but it's happened. Its pretty much just preventative maintenance. You're probably gonna have to upgrade it sometime in the future anyways, so why not do it now and save yourself some stress.

I'd look into the ER charge pipe, they have a glossy black painted option that looks very nice and stealthy in the engine bay. Its an upcharge vs an unpainted version, but imo worth it. Charge pipe is very visible in the engine bay.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

I just ordered my VRSF charge pipe because I recently installed the JB4 and the VRSF catless downpipe and the other night I blew off the map sensor off the original plastic charge pipe on my 2013 535I. now I have the CEL on. The car struggles in local streets but in the highway it drives good.
cant wait to install the new CP before I change the JB4 and go with a stage 2 tuned